ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan and Harbaugh...

h20pls

Senior
Jun 12, 2002
I think this is a good thing...love to see this sort of coaching talent coming to the B1G.

Re: Not for IU

There are no guarantees with any coach. Nearly everyone thought Hoke would be a huge success. Why did Rich Rod fail and succeed elsewhere? Why did Saban produce mediocre teams at Michigan State but thrive at LSU and Bama?

Re: Not for IU

I think it will raise the bar for everyone in the B1G. I would rather have everyone get better (including PUke) and IU get even better rather than everyone get worse and we stay the same and get cheap wins.

won't have any effect on B10 except for Michigan

never has never will -no recruit is going to say they are coming to IU because Michigan is good

You are missing the point with a good Michigan team. It's not that a kid will choose IU if Michigan is good, but it does raise the overall conference profile. Where something like this would help is when Indiana is recruiting a kid against Louisville and Kentucky. Don't think that Kentucky doesn't use the line of "you get to play in the best conference in America line." The Big Ten can't be a top conference with a down Michigan.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Harbaugh to Michigan is a game changer...

Jim Harbaugh is one of the best football coaches in America and he will elevate the entire conference. The games between Michigan and OSU and MSU should be instant classics. Hoke actually recruited very well so he should hit the ground running....as long as they find a QB!

I also think Harbaugh helps the entire conference...

The Big 10 has been taking some hits over the past 5-10 years and getting a top notch coach at a traditional power will undboubtedly help the perception of the conference. We really need the Big 10 to win a couple national championships and Harbaugh makes it much more plausible.

I guess M dodged a bullet

What were they going to do if they didn't get Harbaugh? Pay somebody considerably less than $49M and let them be the obvious second choice?

People here in the Bay Area (especially raiders fans) are just shaking their heads at what is perceived as a step backwards in the coaching profession. But I guess that kind of money makes it much easier to go back to recruiting and assuaging alumni.

Certain college programs are better jobs than a few NFL jobs. The Raiders fall into that category.

Ohio State
Michigan
Alabama
Texas Are some that come to mind. In college your coaching results influence millions of dollars from alumni. That isn't the case in the NFL.

Raider fans are delusional in general, but when your best argument is "his wife would rather not leave the Bay Area", you should realize you're not a very attractive option.

I just can't recall many instances of an NFL coach on the verge of making their mark, leaving to coach college and all that entails. Then again, can't think of any offers of $49M to get one either.

There's only a handful of programs that can throw that kind of doe-re-mi at a head coach...

I've been following their search pretty closely....

and from what I read on TheWolverine.com it sounds like Les Miles was their Plan B and if he had been offered he would have taken the job, even knowing Harbaugh was their clear first choice.

There was also talk of another "big name" as Plan B, but his name was never revealed. It was said this secret Plan B would have made a lot of people happy, but obviously not as ecstatic is the Harbaugh hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT