ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Penix now has 22 touchdown passes and 4 interceptions

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
He is just short of 3,000 yards passing.

Was he going to put numbers like that up at Indiana? Of course not. It's just another nail in the coffin about Tom Allen knowing virtually nothing about the offensive side of the football.

So Dolson has a relatively straightforward and simple decision. First he has to recognize that Tom Allen can't find his butt with both hands when evaluating the offense. Second, he has to acknowledge that he's got a 25 million problem on his hands with the buyout. That leaves only one viable option. They are going to have to come up with a completely new offensive coaching staff.

At the very least Walt Bell has to be let go at the end of the season and it should be announced ASAP. The new offensive coordinator should be the assistant head coach and should have all say related to the offense.

Tom Allen is a good man. And he is a good recruiter. But but he doesn't know X's and O's when it comes to offense. If the Hoosier's wait until December to address this problem it will be too late.

Also, what the hell is going on with the strength and conditioning program?

For more than a decade we have watched Indiana head coaches attempting to learn their job in real time.

He is just short of 3,000 yards passing.

Was he going to put numbers like that up at Indiana? Of course not. It's just another nail in the coffin about Tom Allen knowing virtually nothing about the offensive side of the football.

So Dolson has a relatively straightforward and simple decision. First he has to recognize that Tom Allen can't find his butt with both hands when evaluating the offense. Second, he has to acknowledge that he's got a 25 million problem on his hands with the buyout. That leaves only one viable option. They are going to have to come up with a completely new offensive coaching staff.

At the very least Walt Bell has to be let go at the end of the season and it should be announced ASAP. The new offensive coordinator should be the assistant head coach and should have all say related to the offense.

Tom Allen is a good man. And he is a good recruiter. But but he doesn't know X's and O's when it comes to offense. If the Hoosier's wait until December to address this problem it will be too late.

Also, what the hell is going on with the strength and conditioning program?

For more than a decade we have watched Indiana head coaches attempting to learn their job in real time.
Justin Frye !

Reactions: midwolfe and ulrey
The Bell hire summed up Tom Allen. Not only is he not smart enough to be able to coach both sides of the ball, he 's not smart enough to know what a good coordinator looks like. He's 1/4 on choosing offensive coordinators. With so much money riding on these hires I am amazed places like Indiana don't have an athletics department staff member dedicated to analyzing, evaluating and hiring coaches for all sports. It's a full time job. When a job comes open they ougth to already have ten guys lined up from their wish list. The current method is some people call Allen and he calls a few coaching friends and asks for recommendation. That's just nuts. That's how you end up 2/7 on hiring coordinators.

The Bell hire summed up Tom Allen. Not only is he not smart enough to be able to coach both sides of the ball, he 's not smart enough to know what a good coordinator looks like. He's 1/4 on choosing offensive coordinators. With so much money riding on these hires I am amazed places like Indiana don't have an athletics department staff member dedicated to analyzing, evaluating and hiring coaches for all sports. It's a full time job. When a job comes open they ougth to already have ten guys lined up from their wish list. The current method is some people call Allen and he calls a few coaching friends and asks for recommendation. That's just nuts. That's how you end up 2/7 on hiring coordinators.
Who would that be that does the screening? That is kind of ridiculous.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Other than 2021 he's never thrown a lot of picks. And I still don't think his injuries tend to be the fault of bad protection. But those were some good years and I give the OC just as much credit if not more.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allen would interview them, but a staff an athletic department recruiter would keep a list, study each coaches history, use back channels to explore interest through agents, and rank the coaches for Allen. That's how big organizations recruit. If you are calling other coaches for names, or seeing who applies, you are not doing the job right.

Money, Money, Money - why you gotta do me like that?

Penix won’t play for my team, and Liz Hurley still won’t go to the prom with me.

But I don’t need constant reminders.
... Liz and I had a great time at the prom...

Amazing what You can do at QB when tou have the opportunity to stay upright for more than $ Secods a Pass Play.

I posted something similar to this elsewhere. Some of the best Head Coaches are those that are not necessarily the best technicians. They are the ones Who know how to effectively lead an Organization. They are not afraid to surround themselves with other Coaches Who may have a higher football IQ, They turn them loose to their jobs and provide oversight and final decision making, but they don't have a finger in every pie.

Allen may be a Guy Who has trouble delegating authority and workload, And has the need to appear to be the sharpest knife in the Drawer,

Amazing what You can do at QB when tou have the opportunity to stay upright for more than $ Secods a Pass Play.

Kalen DeBoer when he isn't saddled with Darren Hiller = good offense. Penix has all day to throw.

You guys watched a different Penix than I did - he barely needed an OL at all - he threw it quick quicker quickest

he never held it more than a 2 count - didn't need to - and with a weaker Ol, didn't have TIME to

And here is why I think the good QB's do THAT and the not-so-goods are not so good

When Penix looked around, EVERYBODY was open. If you had a half inch on your man, he threw it to you where you could catch it.

Others (including several we had during Penix' time here and some we have now) wait to see IF a guy is gonna get open - they need they guy be so wide open his grandmother could throw it to him. Hardly anyone can wait form that these days.

"Big arm but won't throw it" has no advantage on the "little arm who can't throw it"

A QB with a lesser OL needs to get rid of it quicker than average

Baze seems to have the "you aren't open" syndrome, PLUS a weak OL, PLUS a tendency to throw it away PLUS a tendency to panic when the protection breaks down. Its a perfect storm.

Behind a great OL - he is a great QB.
We don't have a great OL ... yet.

Get one and we win 8-10
Great OL makes everybody better - even helps the defense.

Reactions: IndyGlen and 76-1
You guys watched a different Penix than I did - he barely needed an OL at all - he threw it quick quicker quickest

he never held it more than a 2 count - didn't need to - and with a weaker Ol, didn't have TIME to

And here is why I think the good QB's do THAT and the not-so-goods are not so good

When Penix looked around, EVERYBODY was open. If you had a half inch on your man, he threw it to you where you could catch it.

Others (including several we had during Penix' time here and some we have now) wait to see IF a guy is gonna get open - they need they guy be so wide open his grandmother could throw it to him. Hardly anyone can wait form that these days.

"Big arm but won't throw it" has no advantage on the "little arm who can't throw it"

Baze seems to have the "you aren't open" syndrome, PLUS a weak OL, PLUS a tendency to throw it away PLUS a tendency to panic when the protection breaks down. Its a perfect storm.

Get one and we win 8-10
100% agree, there's no sugarcoating Bazelak has been terrible as a starter this season. But in fairness to him, he's not the only QB who has struggled behind an obviously subpar O-line. Penix's stats this year show he is a top tier college QB if he has help around him and even he was largely ineffective in 2021 behind Hiller's trash heap of an O-line. Imo it's really hard to put the blame on Connor when we know he's had very little help since transferring to Indiana.

Get one and we win 8-10
Believe Penix had worse passing % 4 tds and 7 interceptions 926 yards in 5 games last year .He did have quick release just not accurate. It must be said the OL has been about as bad as possible the last 2 years. Keep preaching to the IU staff It’s the OL Stupid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT