ADVERTISEMENT

Mellencamp

Since we're on music topic.... Curious opinions on this summers lineup at my local.

Any recs? Probably going to Greensky and moe... But not really all that familiar with some of these.

Reactions: mattndallas
I checked Chicago Farmer out on YouTube. I really don't care for that guy's voice. Probably some good tunes, but I can't get past the voice.

I'll take Texas Swing any day. Bluegrass, too, in smaller doses.
My introduction to music was listening to the big band records in the 40s. Vocalists such as a Frank Sinatra or Tennessee Williams didn't appeal to me.

To this very day listening to the instrumental music of Jazz and Blue Grass on records or the radio gets my feet taping and head nodding more than watching a country vocalist trying to reach out to me with his heartfelt lyrics.

Bluegrass and Jazz although more instrumental than vocal feature different instruments. The performers are entertaining each other rather than reaching out to an audience as in a concert venue.

Reactions: DANC
Since we're on music topic.... Curious opinions on this summers lineup at my local.

Any recs? Probably going to Greensky and moe... But not really all that familiar with some of these.

I'll comment on the bands I've seen...

The Decemberists - classic Seattle Indie band. Kinda folky and mellow. Worth the trip if you have nothing else going on. Saw them last at the Majestic Theater in Dallas.

Orville Peck - I guess kinda a country crooner....real unique voice. S African dude, so a little weird. I'd go see him. Kinda a "bit" act...wears a mask all the time. Music sounds like something out of a Tarrantino movie.

Amos Lee - cool, straight ahead modern folk. Have seen him several times. Surprised he wasn't in "Inside Llewyn Davis" actually. 😄

Band of Horses - GREAT band. We'll go to that for sure. New Southern Rock maybe? Not sure the definition. Goes well with The War on Drugs.

Elle King - Rob Schneider's daughter. Had that "X's and O's" song years ago that was kinda a pop hit, but now she's more Alt Country. Worth a look.

Switchfoot/Blue October - Classic 90's Post-Grunge. Blue October was a Texas fave back in the day, although more in Houston. The A&M kids loved them.

Struts - Saw them open for the Foo Fighters years ago. Probably the closest thing to Queen we've seen since. Cool band. I dig them.

Charley Crockett - Another kinda country guy...sounds old school Texas mixed with just about everything. Unique sound. Was kinda a local breakout artist in Dallas where he kinda was doing street busking, but also spent time in NOLA. Good mix of genres. Cool guy as well.

Manchester Orchestra - Atlanta favorites that seem to be on the bill at Shakey Knees Fest every year we go. Solid, no nonsense rock band. Similar to Band of Horses actually. Another good pull for RTR.

I'll comment on the bands I've seen...

The Decemberists - classic Seattle Indie band. Kinda folky and mellow. Worth the trip if you have nothing else going on. Saw them last at the Majestic Theater in Dallas.

Orville Peck - I guess kinda a country crooner....real unique voice. S African dude, so a little weird. I'd go see him. Kinda a "bit" act...wears a mask all the time. Music sounds like something out of a Tarrantino movie.

Amos Lee - cool, straight ahead modern folk. Have seen him several times. Surprised he wasn't in "Inside Llewyn Davis" actually. 😄

Band of Horses - GREAT band. We'll go to that for sure. New Southern Rock maybe? Not sure the definition. Goes well with The War on Drugs.

Elle King - Rob Schneider's daughter. Had that "X's and O's" song years ago that was kinda a pop hit, but now she's more Alt Country. Worth a look.

Switchfoot/Blue October - Classic 90's Post-Grunge. Blue October was a Texas fave back in the day, although more in Houston. The A&M kids loved them.

Struts - Saw them open for the Foo Fighters years ago. Probably the closest thing to Queen we've seen since. Cool band. I dig them.

Charley Crockett - Another kinda country guy...sounds old school Texas mixed with just about everything. Unique sound. Was kinda a local breakout artist in Dallas where he kinda was doing street busking, but also spent time in NOLA. Good mix of genres. Cool guy as well.

Manchester Orchestra - Atlanta favorites that seem to be on the bill at Shakey Knees Fest every year we go. Solid, no nonsense rock band. Similar to Band of Horses actually. Another good pull for RTR.
You're pretty hip for an old guy.

Reactions: hoot1
My introduction to music was listening to the big band records in the 40s. Vocalists such as a Frank Sinatra or Tennessee Williams didn't appeal to me.

To this very day listening to the instrumental music of Jazz and Blue Grass on records or the radio gets my feet taping and head nodding more than watching a country vocalist trying to reach out to me with his heartfelt lyrics.

Bluegrass and Jazz although more instrumental than vocal feature different instruments. The performers are entertaining each other rather than reaching out to an audience as in a concert venue.
Not a big jazz fan, but I see what you're saying and I agree.

Have you been to the Jazz Kitchen in Indy?

You're pretty hip for an old guy.
That's what they say. 😄

Going to see bands has always been our thing. Fallen off a bit since we've moved up here, and then Covid, but Indy and Bloomington still gets some good bands, and Louisville and Cincy aren't far away.

I used to have "40's Junction" as a preset on my XM. I'll get in a groove where I'll still hit the big band station up here and there.

moe is one of my ladies favorite bands. She also likes Matt Nathanson, which is more pop/soft rock.

Haven't seen Amos Lee, but I stumbled onto him because of a Spotify playlist.... he's got some good stuff. We were going to see him in Detroit a year or so ago, but plans fell through.

Reactions: twenty02
Not a big jazz fan, but I see what you're saying and I agree.

Have you been to the Jazz Kitchen in Indy?

Am partial to the Chatterbox on Mass Ave and my buddie Dave Andrichik. Dave shared my hopes and dreams about downtown Indy in the 60s and 70s when all the smart money was going to the burbs.

Any Iris Dement fans? Love her early work. Her In Spite of Ourselves duet with John Prine is as good as it gets. And the lyrics...

He ain't got laid in a month of Sundays​
I caught him once and he was sniffin' my undies​
He ain't too sharp but he gets things done​
Drinks his beer like it's oxygen​

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Jackson Browne is, hands down, my favorite musical artist. But he's sincere and puts out his political stuff, even though he knows not everyone likes it. But he doesn't preach at people - he lets his music do the talking.

Mellencamp is just a punk who has surrounded himself with some amazing musicians. I remember when he had David Bowie's management company make him into a glam rocker. lmao When that played out, he attached himself to causes like Farm Aid to become relevant. I like many of his songs, but I wouldn't walk across the street to see him.
Well, you’re kind of getting your timing and facts a bit screwed up. He started in NYC in the mid 70’s with Bowie’s management, but quickly dropped that and moved back here. He had a minor hit with “I need a lover who won’t drive me crazy” and when that passed he almost went broke until Pat Benatar covered it and kept him afloat. He had pretty big success a few years later with the American Fool album (Jack and Diane) and then Uh Huh album in ‘83. Farm Aid wasn’t until 1985, when John was firmly established and well known.

I knew a local musician in Bloomington, years later, who knew everything about everyone and filled me in on the area music scene. Btw, Mellencamp’s childhood friend and song writing partner from Seymour, George Green, is credited by many local musicians to be the one wrote a lot of his early hits that made his career. Mellencamp learned songwriting from Green and wrote most of his Lonesome Jubilee album and the others that followed.

The Decemberists are very good. Strange, but really good.

Try “Here I Dreamt I was An Architect” and “Down by the Water.”

Reactions: twenty02
Well, you’re kind of getting your timing and facts a bit screwed up. He started in NYC in the mid 70’s with Bowie’s management, but quickly dropped that and moved back here. He had a minor hit with “I need a lover who won’t drive me crazy” and when that passed he almost went broke until Pat Benatar covered it and kept him afloat. He had pretty big success a few years later with the American Fool album (Jack and Diane) and then Uh Huh album in ‘83. Farm Aid wasn’t until 1985, when John was firmly established and well known.

I knew a local musician in Bloomington, years later, who knew everything about everyone and filled me in on the area music scene. Btw, Mellencamp’s childhood friend and song writing partner from Seymour, George Green, is credited by many local musicians to be the one wrote a lot of his early hits that made his career. Mellencamp learned songwriting from Green and wrote most of his Lonesome Jubilee album and the others that followed.
What timing and facts did I get screwed up? You just said the same thing I did.

That's what they say. 😄

Going to see bands has always been our thing. Fallen off a bit since we've moved up here, and then Covid, but Indy and Bloomington still gets some good bands, and Louisville and Cincy aren't far away.
Charlotte has some decent shows, but I think Indy seems to have more.

I saw Junior Brown here a few years ago and it was great. Saw Los Lobos here last summer and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen - fantastic musicians and the music is great.

Hell, Nashville, Ind and the Honeywell Center in Wabash get some great bands through there.

I used to have "40's Junction" as a preset on my XM. I'll get in a groove where I'll still hit the big band station up here and there.
They did away with that, didn't they? I had a friend who came of age in the 40s - he was at Omaha Beach on D-Day and he couldn't believe I had XM radio with the 40s channel on it.

You really want to help me out...go buy the last record I personally financed... 😄 Need to make some money back.

You know you shouldn't have put money into anyone who was in a group called Houndmouth, right? (yes, I googled her)

At least you didn't waste a lot of money one the video. lol

Hey, I've heard worse - a lot worse.

Houndmouth isn’t bad and they’re from Indiana. Their song “Sedona” is one of my favorites.

They WERE great...the original four.

Katie leaving was like Fleetwood Mac losing Stevie...still had chops, but just missing a key ingredient.

I'd like to say I'd wish there would be a reunion, but if you recall, she left kinda suddenly right when they were peaking. Kinda a "me too" situation that might occur to a mid-level touring band sharing a van and hotel rooms on the road...if you catch my drift.

I don't think she'd ever play with them again.

Cool, Southern Indiana short when they were kids getting started...

They WERE great...the original four.

Katie leaving was like Fleetwood Mac losing Stevie...still had chops, but just missing a key ingredient.

I'd like to say I'd wish there would be a reunion, but if you recall, she left kinda suddenly right when they were peaking. Kinda a "me too" situation that might occur to a mid-level touring band sharing a van and hotel rooms on the road...if you catch my drift.

I don't think she'd ever play with them again.

Cool, Southern Indiana short when they were kids getting started...

3 dudes and a good looking woman traveling together? Gee, I can't imagine why that would cause any problems.....

3 dudes and a good looking woman traveling together? Gee, I can't imagine why that would cause any problems.....
Yeah...she was actually dating Matt, the lead singer, when they started. She never told me or the wife exactly what happened, but she left suddenly, and has been 100% sober since. Kinda sucks, because we like the band, but paying money to go see them would seem kinda hypocritical for us now.

Katie said even when they'd be opening for (like) Alabama Shakes, on a pretty sizeable tour, they were sharing a room at Super 8's or whatever. Probably making $1,000/gig to open, split by 4. They're playing on Letterman, but just barely surviving financially.

Katie did this cover of a Blink 182 song and kinda reframed it as losing a parent story. Her real mom didn't want to play her mom in the video, so she called my wife. 😄 My wife chickened out, but we got our neighbor across the street to do it. Went down to Lexington and filmed it in a couple days...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT