ADVERTISEMENT

Mellencamp

a8knhlir4td81.jpg

And then in college there was pole dancing

Also those sexy young ladies performing in cages suspended from the ceiling. Most never looked happy. Probably due to a fear of the cage falling.

My current neighbor once performed on poles some forty years ago. Today when I see her hobbling down the street as she walks her German Sheperd, I try to imagine what she might have looked like back in the day.

Also those sexy young ladies performing in cages suspended from the ceiling. Most never looked happy. Probably due to a fear of the cage falling.

My current neighbor once performed on poles some forty years ago. Today when I see her hobbling down the street as she walks her German Sheperd, I try to imagine what she might have looked like back in the day.

befriend her...she might be willing to show you her picture album.

ask lars for tips on how to tame a cougar.

First there was square dancing and then came line dancing.

Had a good time at the Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville, Tennessee watching the serious line dancers several years ago. Never took the time to learn all the steps required.

Are square and line dancing still as popular as they once were ?
I don’t think so, especially square dancing. Think in certain parts of the country, Texas etc, line dancing is still popular. We had a story about living in the country out west in one of our readers and I taught the kids the Virginia Reel and one other dance. They loved it, even they they made faces in third grade when they had to dance with the boys!

Reactions: hoot1
Correct, considering a vast majority of musical creative artists are liberal/progressive.

God bless the liberals, right? Imagine the horrid crap you would have to listen to if we didn't exist.
I generally agree with this. Especially because the only country / Americana music I like is center-left or moderate.

Seems the creative gene is generally liberal inclined... or maybe conservatives just lack imagination. lol

Liberals rule music, art, film .. Books are probably 50/50?

Reminds me of this ..

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
It’s mostly chemistry and physiology with room for environmental and learned effects.

I generally agree with this. Especially because the only country / Americana music I like is center-left or moderate.
I like a lot of the stuff that comes out of Austin. A majority of country I listen too comes from that scene.. or is old time stuff from the 20s 30s ..

Ever listen to John Moreland? Exceptional songwriter out of Oklahoma.

Correct, considering a vast majority of musical creative artists are liberal/progressive.

God bless the liberals, right? Imagine the horrid crap you would have to listen to if we didn't exist.
I’m sure there are plenty of conservative artists.

Is she single?(asking for Murt)

I like a lot of the stuff that comes out of Austin. A majority of country I listen too comes from that scene.. or is old time stuff from the 20s 30s ..

Ever listen to John Moreland? Exceptional songwriter out of Oklahoma.
I’ll check that out.

I don’t think so, especially square dancing. Think in certain parts of the country, Texas etc, line dancing is still popular.
😄

Yeah...nah.

Chicks line dance for the couple hip hop songs they play, while dudes get beer, before the slow dances.

Two step and jitterbugging at the Texas dance halls.

Reactions: DANC
He’s got some good in him though. He’s been a big supporter of farmers and Farm Aid. But did you make it to his son’s art gallery? I actually peeked in the windows.

Sorry, just not a fan. I grew up not far from Seymour and knew him when he was in a garage band playing "teen dances" in church basements. We used to go heckle him. In the Little Pink Houses video there's a brief clip of what looks like an 8mm home movie of kids going down some steps outside. That's heading into the basement of the Presbyterian (?) church in Seymour.

He was a punk then too. Thought he was hot shit. Never grew out of it.

Last edited:
Of course not, but not to the cartoonish extent you do. I get that it makes you feel good, but no need to wildly exaggerate this.
My first remark I said was hyperbole, my second was merely stating that movies, books, and music are generally liberal.

Last edited:
Sorry, just not a fan. I grew up not far from Seymour and knew him when he was in a garage band playing "teen dances" in church basements. We used to go heckle him. In the Little Pink Houses video there's a brief clip of what looks like an 8mm home movie of kids going down some steps outside. That's heading into the basement of the Presbyterian (?) church in Seymour.

He was a punk then too. Though he was hot shit. Never grew out of it.
Oh everyone I know who knows him agrees. Know Dane Clark a little and he has not much good to say about him. And sounds like his sons got his same traits.

I’m sure there are plenty of conservative artists.
In music? In my experience it's a notable rarity. I was just riffing ... it's not something I really concern myself with.. like you I couldn't give less of shit what they think other than the ideas they present musically ..

I barely go to concerts anyway so a boycott by me means little but I wouldn't boycott/cancel based just on political views.

Boycotting Trump supporters is another thing though. It is one thing to just have disagreements in political opinion...quite another to support what Trump has done and continues to do.

He was telling a story about his grandmother.

LOL Happened in my old stomping grounds about a mile from where I grew up. They even mention a club I played in (Ottawa Tavern).

And the OP was obviously a flat out fabrication. WTF?

Pretty solid. I like Texas/Oklahoma country but right now the Mecca is Eastern Kentucky country.
Totally agree.

That was kinda an unknown genre down in Texas, but kinda stumbled upon it once I moved up here. We had seen Stapleton and Sturgill, but once we moved up here went to Holler on the Hill at Garfield Park, and the John Hartford Festival in Bean Blossom.

The Kentuckiana blue country scene is just as cool as red dirt, IMO...maybe even better. Saw Billy Strings at Holler in 2018, then at the Bird. Same with Tyler and others....just a cool sound.

Tyler hooking up for Robert Earl Keen a couple years ago where Tyler would open in Texas, and REK would open in Appalachia was so cool.

Check out Chicago Farmer if you get a chance...Midwest country that sounds like a mixture of old-school Gary Stewart, with a bit of countrified Ben Kweller mixed in.

Reactions: BadWakeboarder
Totally agree.

That was kinda an unknown genre down in Texas, but kinda stumbled upon it once I moved up here. We had seen Stapleton and Sturgill, but once we moved up here went to Holler on the Hill at Garfield Park, and the John Hartford Festival in Bean Blossom.

The Kentuckiana blue country scene is just as cool as red dirt, IMO...maybe even better. Saw Billy Strings at Holler in 2018, then at the Bird. Same with Tyler and others....just a cool sound.

Tyler hooking up for Robert Earl Keen a couple years ago where Tyler would open in Texas, and REK would open in Appalachia was so cool.

Check out Chicago Farmer if you get a chance...Midwest country that sounds like a mixture of old-school Gary Stewart, with a bit of countrified Ben Kweller mixed in.
I know Chicago Farmer very well. We can be music buds.

Reactions: mattndallas
I don't care what they do on their personal time, I've always admired Sheen's efforts at being involved. I don't care that Eastwood did the empty chair thing at the GOP Convention, though it was stupid.

If I had seen George Carlin I would have expected politics and it wouldn't bother me, he often hit upon events. But when I saw Bob Newhart, if he had gone onto a political rant then I wouldn't have been happy, largely speaking I was expecting escapism. So there is a shut up and dribble moment in the moment. I don't care what politics he has, or how they express it off stage.
If I go to a restaurant and don't like what they cook, I don't insist that they change what they do to make it the way I prefer it. I just don't go back.

Different folks and different strokes and all that.

Reactions: UncleMark
I didn’t hear him say anything about Biden in that clip. What’s he wearing? Like an old gas station overall. Still out there squeezing money out of Jack and Diane. Damn. That’s the ticket. I could write a three minute song. Could probably sing it too. I have a strong voice. Could put a band together in a snap. Twenty on piano. Noodle on harmonica. Me on vocals. I can get get us a gig at the center for hearing and speech right here in town. To get some experience with fans that won’t be too much at the outset
I only noticed he looked like he wanted to put gas in my tank at a service station. What a weird outfit honestly. I never really like jack and diane honestly he had some good tunes but that wasnt one.

Reactions: DANC

He was a punk then too. Thought he was hot shit. Never grew out of it.
When I started work at Cummins in '82 there were several people I worked with who knew him and his family as a kid.

Evidently, his family was well off and he was/is a spoiled brat.

Totally agree.

Bill Monroe descendants?

Totally agree.

I checked Chicago Farmer out on YouTube. I really don't care for that guy's voice. Probably some good tunes, but I can't get past the voice.

I'll take Texas Swing any day. Bluegrass, too, in smaller doses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT