ADVERTISEMENT

Mellencamp

Did they verify it was because of Biden-praise?

People have been complaining about all his shows these days because of his long intros into songs, and the 30-min black and white film to start the show. More of a folky performance artist tour versus old school rock and roll.

He never mentioned Biden or Trump at the IU Auditorium show.

That said, it was kinda "meh" compared to 90's and early 00 Mellencamp shows.

People have been complaining about all his shows these days because of his long intros into songs, and the 30-min black and white film to start the show. More of a folky performance artist tour versus old school rock and roll.

Spot on. As usual DBM is lying. Another crap link.

He's always been a hubristic, self absorbed punk.

Confirmed by our fact checker in chief.

I agree that politics don't need to be mentioned in the middle of a concert if that happened but that snippet didn't include whatever got the crowd riled up so not exactly proof.

If it had been legitimately about him mentioning Biden, then I would bet those same people would probably be hooping and hollering, ripping off their shirts and asking him to sign their man-boobs if he had been praising trump. But obviously that was fake news and had nothing to do with politics.

Would you have an issue with this?

Last edited:
He was telling a story about his grandmother.

Reactions: brianiu
He was telling a story about his grandmother.

Not at all shocking that it was a lie. I am not sure what the point was other than to get the conservative sheep to hate Mellencamp because they have no clue how to fact check.

Confirmed by our fact checker in chief.

I didn’t hear him say anything about Biden in that clip. What’s he wearing? Like an old gas station overall. Still out there squeezing money out of Jack and Diane. Damn. That’s the ticket. I could write a three minute song. Could probably sing it too. I have a strong voice. Could put a band together in a snap. Twenty on piano. Noodle on harmonica. Me on vocals. I can get get us a gig at the center for hearing and speech right here in town. To get some experience with fans that won’t be too much at the outset

Not at all shocking that it was a lie. I am not sure what the point was other than to get the conservative sheep to hate Mellencamp because they have no clue how to fact check.

Getting a narrative out there is FAR FAR more important than being correct. That's what the sane people are dealing with these days, people who will push a narrative no matter what.

I didn’t hear him say anything about Biden in that clip. What’s he wearing? Like an old gas station overall. Still out there squeezing money out of Jack and Diane. Damn. That’s the ticket. I could write a three minute song. Could probably sing it too. I have a strong voice. Could put a band together in a snap. Twenty on piano. Noodle on harmonica. Me on vocals. I can get get us a gig at the center for hearing and speech right here in town. To get some experience with fans that won’t be too much at the outset
5jburf.jpg

Hey, John's just identifying with the working man. The farmer. The factory worker.

Isn't that how they all dress?

He's lived through some hard times, John has. He's seen his family farm sold. He has blood on the plow. He's cashed those government subsidy checks......

Getting a narrative out there is FAR FAR more important than being correct. That's what the sane people are dealing with these days, people who will push a narrative no matter what.
Yeah, it's SO hard to believe Mellencamp would ever pontificate about anything political.....

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I don't think I'd ever say he's my favorite artist, but I do like Mellencamp's stuff. I'm not all that impressed with Mellencamp the person though. He was the graduation speaker at my brother's IU graduation and he left a lot to be desired. I'm pretty sure he didn't actually have anything prepared. He took off his regalia and spit his gum out and basically said whatever came to his mind. Fast forward to later last year/earlier this year and he was on Bill Maher's Club Random podcast. Listening to that confirmed my belief that he doesn't come off as a smart guy, though he thinks he's pretty damned smart.

Dude can write a good song and has made a lot of money doing that, but it's also given him a false/heightened sense of his smarts, in my opinion.

Guy has full blown TDS. Deranged. You couldn't pay me enough to go to one of his shows.

Seems counter productive to give up a celebrity you enjoy because of politics.

Also seems counter productive for a celebrity to lose fans by engaging in politics.

Would you drop a good friend over politics ? Is politics really all that important ?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's SO hard to believe Mellencamp would ever pontificate about anything political.....

I know a lot of people in town who have had dealings with Mellencamp, none of them like him. But we need proof. I posted several sites saying it was a story about his grandmother. Go to the 1 minute mark below and watch it. See if he is talking about Biden.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Also seems counter productive for a celebrity to lose fans by engaging in politics.

Would you drop a good friend over politics ? Are politics really all that important ?

Yea, people used to do a much better job of leaving their politics at home.

It tends to be my conservative friends that have more difficulty with staying away from politics and can be quite hard to ignore at times. I save my political commentary for you fine folks on here since I have already pissed off all the people on the other side of the aisle anyway lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Ohio Guy and DANC

Would you drop a good friend over politics ? Are politics really all that important ?
Jackson Browne is, hands down, my favorite musical artist. But he's sincere and puts out his political stuff, even though he knows not everyone likes it. But he doesn't preach at people - he lets his music do the talking.

Mellencamp is just a punk who has surrounded himself with some amazing musicians. I remember when he had David Bowie's management company make him into a glam rocker. lmao When that played out, he attached himself to causes like Farm Aid to become relevant. I like many of his songs, but I wouldn't walk across the street to see him.

I have never gotten that. I'd go see a Clint Eastwood movie tomorrow, I don't care what his politics is. If John Wayne were alive in his prime, I'd go see a Wayne Western. And yes, I've had friends split over politics. It is crazy.

But celebrities shouldn't push their politics in an event unless it is what they are known for (Maher for example). But the truth is an Eastwood movie will probably have a conservative spin. A Martin Sheen movie will probably have a more liberal spin.

I know a lot of people in town who have had dealings with Mellencamp, none of them like him. But we need proof. I posted several sites saying it was a story about his grandmother. Go to the 1 minute mark below and watch it. See if he is talking about Biden.

Not in those clips. Do you find it improbable that he didn't talk politics during the show?

Not in those clips. Do you find it improbable that he didn't talk politics during the show?

Given that he was talking about his grandma right before the clip dbm posted, I am going to guess it is improbable Biden/politics was mentioned at all.

The more likely scenario is some pissed off fan decided they were going to show him for cutting the concert short and figured the easiest way to do that was to get a bunch of conservatives pissed at him using a false narrative. MAGA conservatives are very easy to rile up.

It may have happened. I have no idea, I have no doubt Mellencamp is a world-class jerk. That said, the OP "John Cougar Mellencamp ends show early in a rage because the audience didn’t want to hear him give a lecture about his support of Joe Biden." He was not talking about Biden when the audience got him mad.

MattinDallas is hardly a Biden supporter and has pointed out above what is known. he talks a whole lot in his concerts. Maybe early on in this one he did, but people who came to hear his music appear to have gotten mad about him talking, period.

I've read articles where he admits his politics isn't that of most of his fans, he is at least that self-aware. If he had been talking about Biden, where are those clips?

I watched Apollo 13 the other night for the first time in years. Great movie. Just because Hanks is a flaming liberal doesn't mean I don't like his movies.

I watched Apollo 13 the other night for the first time in years. Great movie. Just because Hanks is a flaming liberal doesn't mean I don't like his movies.
flaming liberal? did he come out of the closet and I wasn't aware lol

It may have happened. I have no idea, I have no doubt Mellencamp is a world-class jerk. That said, the OP "John Cougar Mellencamp ends show early in a rage because the audience didn’t want to hear him give a lecture about his support of Joe Biden." He was not talking about Biden when the audience got him mad.

MattinDallas is hardly a Biden supporter and has pointed out above what is known. he talks a whole lot in his concerts. Maybe early on in this one he did, but people who came to hear his music appear to have gotten mad about him talking, period.

I've read articles where he admits his politics isn't that of most of his fans, he is at least that self-aware. If he had been talking about Biden, where are those clips?
The OP also claimed Mellencamp has TDS because he was talking about Biden. Which in itself makes no sense.

I've also heard Mellencamp is a tool though.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Show me where he didn't. He talks politics all the time.

Proof is required by the accuser. Unless there is a video of the entire concert, there would be no way to prove beyond doubt that he didn't.

But if not one person can prove he mentioned Biden, then I would say that is very telling. That is especially the case when the so called proof was actually after him talking about his grandma, not Biden.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT