ADVERTISEMENT

McGinnis

38th and Rural, the Meadows Complex

During Pacer days, George McGinnis lived in the VIP Apartments at the intersection of Allisonville and “new 37”, today’s Binford Blvd. It was a convenient location just north of the Fairgrounds Coliseum.
What the heck was the joint about 62nd and Allisonville that was a Pacer bar? Good pizza.

the Time Out Lounge has been at that location for a long time but I don't know that they existed all the way back to the era we are discussing.
The 52nd Street Pub was very popular on Allisonville. They merged with Murphys a few years ago and it goes by Murphys now.

Reactions: .Gerdis
What the heck was the joint about 62nd and Allisonville that was a Pacer bar? Good pizza.
That intersection is my old stomping grounds. The only good pizza joint there now is Some Guys Pizza but I don't think it existed in the 1970's. Pacer fans used to hang out at 4360 N Keystone Ave at a dive bar called Al-Keys (good name!). It was located at the intersection of Allisonville and Keystone Ave, near the Coliseum, hence the bar's name, combining the two streets. It was directly across the street from the Arby's I had to work the night McGinnis scored 53 with 30 reb. Sadly, there is no video of that game today. I would like to have seen it. I earned $6.50 during the two hour game instead-1969 wages,

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
That intersection is my old stomping grounds. The only good pizza joint there now is Some Guys Pizza but I don't think it existed in the 1970's. Pacer fans used to hang out at 4360 N Keystone Ave at a dive bar called Al-Keys (good name!). It was located at the intersection of Allisonville and Keystone Ave, near the Coliseum, hence the bar's name, combining the two streets. It was directly across the street from the Arby's I had to work the night McGinnis scored 53 with 30 reb. Sadly, there is no video of that game today. I would like to have seen it. I earned $6.50 during the two hour game instead-1969 wages,
I may be thinking of Some Guys. Was that a Pacer or Racer hangout?

I blew out my ancient cobwebs & wanted to post some thoughts about Big Mac.

1) I would have loved to have been his quarterback on the football team. Five yard look-in pass every time then he drags the entire team down the field for 50 yards. He could've easily gone NFL, especially on the defensive side.

2) I was at a Pacers game during the pre-breakaway rim era and I saw him float past the lone defender then backhand dunk the ball, breaking the rim. When he got to halfcourt he saw the commotion at the basket then looked at his forearm like, oh, did I do that?

3) My best high school team in a long time in 1969 was picked as a dark horse to upset Washington in the State tourney. We blew through sectionals & regionals until the final when Washington's loaded team barely edged us by 46, 87-41. I wish I could've played in that one (maybe not) but I was already playing a year up & freshmen weren't allowed to play varsity.

I blew out my ancient cobwebs & wanted to post some thoughts about Big Mac.

1) I would have loved to have been his quarterback on the football team. Five yard look-in pass every time then he drags the entire team down the field for 50 yards. He could've easily gone NFL, especially on the defensive side.

2) I was at a Pacers game during the pre-breakaway rim era and I saw him float past the lone defender then backhand dunk the ball, breaking the rim. When he got to halfcourt he saw the commotion at the basket then looked at his forearm like, oh, did I do that?

3) My best high school team in a long time in 1969 was picked as a dark horse to upset Washington in the State tourney. We blew through sectionals & regionals until the final when Washington's loaded team barely edged us by 46, 87-41. I wish I could've played in that one (maybe not) but I was already playing a year up & freshmen weren't allowed to play varsity.
“Barely edged us by 46.”

Kudos. Classic line.

And those of us who saw that team completely get it.

No I have not, but do vaguely recall a photo of him wearing a cowboy hat. I know he liked to ride horses. I think he owned one. Enlighten us, if you will.
Mel Daniels had a horse farm outside of Indy that many of the Pacers went to ride. They would all dress up in cowboy attire including sidearm. They got into having play shootouts. Eventually those shootouts carried over into the locker room. One day, you guessed it, a gun went off. After that, they all had to check their guns before entering the locker room.

Reactions: abraxis
I wasn't saying that, I was explaining why I didn't include Oden. "One of the best ever from the state" to me implies success at all levels, maybe even moreso the pro's, otherwise no one outside of IN would really know about them. I don't think it's arguable: Big George is one of the best IN players ever, period!

I've had that discussion with my NC friends (best 5 from NC vs IN) and have to admit their best 5 probably beats IN's best, 8 out of 10 I think. What would be our best 5 you think? I'd go Larry, George, Oden, Conley and Oscar maybe?

I'd have to research NC a little more, but it arguably could be: Jordan, Phil Ford, I'm thinking Brad Daugherty, Bob McAdoo (or James Worthy) and David Thompson. They have a ridiculous amount of players though: Sam Perkins, Steph Curry, Jerry Stackhouse, Antawn Jamison, Bobby Jones, John Wall, Walter Davis, Chris Paul, John Lucas, Sleepy Floyd, heck even Walt Bellamy!
Perkins is from NY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT