ADVERTISEMENT

In Honor Of The Passing Of George McGinnis and Eric Montross, IHSAAtv Has The State Championship Games They Played In Available

Fun watch! Found it interesting how both teams ran virtually no offense and very little passing. Whoever had the ball shot it. McGinnis played no defense at all. I counted ten times he never even came down on the defensive end. Him and Downing were just too big and strong. Refs loved the charging call as well.

Reactions: Jayhoosier83
Fun watch! Found it interesting how both teams ran virtually no offense and very little passing. Whoever had the ball shot it. McGinnis played no defense at all. I counted ten times he never even came down on the defensive end. Him and Downing were just too big and strong. Refs loved the charging call as well.
they were up 5 with about 40 seconds left McGinnis shot an 18-footer with no one around him. him and RMK may have clashed.

they were up 5 with about 40 seconds left McGinnis shot an 18-footer with no one around him. him and RMK may have clashed.
A lot of players clashed with Coach Knight. It was no big deal, almost to be expected at some point during one's college stint. RMK would have corralled George's undisciplined ways into a collegiate juggernaut. McGinnis later admitted he would like to have played for Knight. My thinking is Big Mac would have been a more disciplined ABA/NBA player under his earlier tutelage and perhaps had a longer career.

FWIW (absolutely nothing) In the old field house, George's pre-game routine under Watson was to emerge first out of the locker room, leading the team as the only one not wearing a warm-up top. He always launched that 18-footer as his team's first shot of the warm-up session.

29 points, 15 rebounds/game his first season of college ball just about says it all...his body, a gift of the gods still worshiped to this day.

George father passing away early was as much of a factor as hoping to avoid RMK in going pro, in what was then called "hardship" draft eligibility. Big George needed to support his family and the ABA contract did that, while staying at IU could not.

anyone remember what those ABA contracts were worth back in the early 70's ?

(Jack Niclaus's 1st PGA paycheck in 1962 was $33.33)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT