ADVERTISEMENT

McGinnis

The Pacers announced that George has passed away. :(
george-mcginnis-indiana.jpg

George_McGinnis.png

never saw oscar in high school but george was by far the best i've ever seen. shawn kemp second.
Never saw George in HS, but did see Kemp and I forgot about him, but I'd put him in that same class of "best ever" players, especially in HS. Thought about Clyde Lovelette too, but never saw him either. I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

Not many guards coming to mind, so I'd toss out a former/fellow Southport Cardinal: Louie Dampier. The answer to a pretty good trivia question: Who is the all-time career scoring (and assist!) leader for the ABA? Louie Dampier.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Never saw George in HS, but did see Kemp and I forgot about him, but I'd put him in that same class of "best ever" players, especially in HS. Thought about Clyde Lovelette too, but never saw him either. I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

Not many guards coming to mind, so I'd toss out a former/fellow Southport Cardinal: Louie Dampier. The answer to a pretty good trivia question: Who is the all-time career scoring (and assist!) leader for the ABA? Louie Dampier.
eric gordon and rick mount

What about Oden? He won 3 straight titles.
If you're only talking HS, definitely and I thought of him. But lacking much in the pros. George was excellent at all 3 levels. Plus, Oden played with another great in Conley, who also might be on the list for pros.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Any HS only discussion has to start with Damon. 3 FF appearances and the most famous championship in the history of the state.

Any HS only discussion has to start with Damon. 3 FF appearances and the most famous championship in the history of the state.
I wasn't saying that, I was explaining why I didn't include Oden. "One of the best ever from the state" to me implies success at all levels, maybe even moreso the pro's, otherwise no one outside of IN would really know about them. I don't think it's arguable: Big George is one of the best IN players ever, period!

I've had that discussion with my NC friends (best 5 from NC vs IN) and have to admit their best 5 probably beats IN's best, 8 out of 10 I think. What would be our best 5 you think? I'd go Larry, George, Oden, Conley and Oscar maybe?

I'd have to research NC a little more, but it arguably could be: Jordan, Phil Ford, I'm thinking Brad Daugherty, Bob McAdoo (or James Worthy) and David Thompson. They have a ridiculous amount of players though: Sam Perkins, Steph Curry, Jerry Stackhouse, Antawn Jamison, Bobby Jones, John Wall, Walter Davis, Chris Paul, John Lucas, Sleepy Floyd, heck even Walt Bellamy!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I wasn't saying that, I was explaining why I didn't include Oden. "One of the best ever from the state" to me implies success at all levels, maybe even moreso the pro's, otherwise no one outside of IN would really know about them. I don't think it's arguable: Big George is one of the best IN players ever, period!

I've had that discussion with my NC friends (best 5 from NC vs IN) and have to admit their best 5 probably beats IN's best, 8 out of 10 I think. What would be our best 5 you think? I'd go Larry, George, Oden, Conley and Oscar maybe?

I'd have to research NC a little more, but it arguably could be: Jordan, Phil Ford, I'm thinking Brad Daugherty, Bob McAdoo (or James Worthy) and David Thompson. They have a ridiculous amount of players though: Sam Perkins, Steph Curry, Jerry Stackhouse, Antawn Jamison, Bobby Jones, John Wall, Walter Davis, Chris Paul, John Lucas, Sleepy Floyd, heck even Walt Bellamy!
Strictly high school no way. And you're missing quite a few. Weren't we talking about high school?

Strictly high school no way. And you're missing quite a few. Weren't we talking about high school?
No, I was responding to the posting above that said Big George was arguably one of the best to come out of the state ever.

But, regarding your other post, look at the NC list I provided and you don't think they beat IN? The deeper you go, I think the better they become. Just look over the NC list I put up, and I left quite a few off theirs... I think the best 5 is pretty close, but when you go to 10 or more, I think they're better.

I had the opportunity to play in 1969 with both McGinnis and Downing my freshman year HYPER class which was 8 weeks bowling and 8 weeks basketball. They weren't eligible to participate yet on the IU freshman team so they could take the HYPER class. Both were great guys. Didn't matter that they were playing with us shmucks, they just loved playing.

No, I was responding to the posting above that said Big George was arguably one of the best to come out of the state ever.

But, regarding your other post, look at the NC list I provided and you don't think they beat IN? The deeper you go, I think the better they become. Just look over the NC list I put up, and I left quite a few off theirs... I think the best 5 is pretty close, but when you go to 10 or more, I think they're better.
You left even more Indiana players off

Sam Perkins was not a NC native. He was from Brooklyn.

As for the Indiana squad, Oden might get a spot on the end of my bench for his D. But, he’s sitting behind Larry Bird, Oscar, Big George, Skiles, Big Dog, Dick Barnett, EJ, Shawn Kemp, Junior Bridgeman, Conley, Alan Henderson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

i was a Cardinal too... hated to see LD go to the Kentucky Colonels in the ABA

Reactions: kkott
I had the opportunity to play in 1969 with both McGinnis and Downing my freshman year HYPER class which was 8 weeks bowling and 8 weeks basketball. They weren't eligible to participate yet on the IU freshman team so they could take the HYPER class. Both were great guys. Didn't matter that they were playing with us shmucks, they just loved playing.
what kind of bowlers were they? did they let you drink beer in the bowling class? does anyone bowl sober?

Reactions: .Gerdis
I had pictured Neto’s up on Allisonville Rd but could be wrong
38th and Rural, the Meadows Complex

During Pacer days, George McGinnis lived in the VIP Apartments at the intersection of Allisonville and “new 37”, today’s Binford Blvd. It was a convenient location just north of the Fairgrounds Coliseum.

Let's put it this way.(In their prime).You play a game with the top 10 players in Indiana vs the top 10 in NC or any other state for that matter. We wipe the floor with them every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
What about the Van Arsdales? Clyde Lovellette?

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT