ADVERTISEMENT

McCulloch to Cincy?

Not sure how close you follow the program, but Person had 8 total tackles, King had 6. Lewis had none, which is a big reason why he left (he barely got on the field). Jones wasn’t on the roster. We've never gone four deep at any position, some years the receiver groups go 3 deep. Huge Indiana football fan for a long long time. How about you? Go Hoosiers.
Shamar Jones played in our Win against P State...

I was mistaken about D. Lewis... Thought I saw him out there... So..., I guess he was actually a 5th stringer while here...

So that leaves us with a group of 4th stringers that saw reps in 2020 made up of S. Jones, Person, King... That's what I call going 4 Deep into the rotation on the DL... And, as I recall it (and I may be wrong about this one but I don't think so ) Bonhomme was utilized occasionally as a DE also [another 4th stringer] and yeah..., I know..., he was primarily a Linebacker...

- ///60+ years an INDIANA fan at this end... A relative newcomer.../// -

Shamar Jones played in our Win against P State...

I was mistaken about D. Lewis... Thought I saw him out there... So..., I guess he was actually a 5th stringer while here...

So that leaves us with a group of 4th stringers that saw reps in 2020 made up of S. Jones, Person, King... That's what I call going 4 Deep into the rotation on the DL... And, as I recall it (and I may be wrong about this one but I don't think so ) Bonhomme was utilized occasionally as a DE also [another 4th stringer] and yeah..., I know..., he was primarily a Linebacker...

- ///60+ years an INDIANA fan at this end... A relative newcomer.../// -
I probably confused you - the coaches rotate certain players along the D line at regular intervals to keep them fresh. It’s how they game plan, and it’s always how Coach Allen has done it. That’s usually a two deep group, though it may leak a little beyond that, because that’s how they practice. None of the guys you mentioned were part of those regular rotations. They did get some mop up time, which is why their numbers were so low. Not much PT if you’re not in the two deeps. Why did you think I wasn’t an IU fan because I talked about the D line rotations?

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is completely inaccurate and I'm someone who cannot stand how much love Cincy gets after sneaking by a 2-10 Indiana but you're slandering them for no reason. They were in the old Big East with Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, WVU, Miami, and BC. If those schools are "P5 level" than Cincy sure AH is. They have stronger fan support and seem far more committed to football financially than schools like IU, RU, NW, IL and that's just in the B1G. They aren't an elite program, and they won't be nearly as successful when Fickell leaves but they'll be fine in their jump to P5, especially considering the Big 12 is losing it's two strongest schools.
What the B10 did to Indiana in 2020 was eye opening. Kind of reinforced the idea that the conference is O$U, O$U, O$U…and Penn State/Michigan/Wisconsin…then a bunch of other filler teams. I’d like to see IU regularly whoop O$U, but I don’t see it happening.

As a Cincy fan, not sure I’d want to switch places with IU. IU seems to be structurally disadvantaged to the aforementioned schools. Cincy fans seem to be encouraged by hope while IU fans hampered by despair.

Facilities? I’m biased, but despite its flaws - Nippert rocks. Memorial is ok, nice, but sterile. With the new indoor practice facility, not sure what material disparity will exist between Cincy and the IU’s of the world.

UC fans are still talking about how Ill-prepared Bloomington and IU were for that game. it was pretty bad.

What the B10 did to Indiana in 2020 was eye opening. Kind of reinforced the idea that the conference is O$U, O$U, O$U…and Penn State/Michigan/Wisconsin…then a bunch of other filler teams. I’d like to see IU regularly whoop O$U, but I don’t see it happening.

As a Cincy fan, not sure I’d want to switch places with IU. IU seems to be structurally disadvantaged to the aforementioned schools. Cincy fans seem to be encouraged by hope while IU fans hampered by despair.

Facilities? I’m biased, but despite its flaws - Nippert rocks. Memorial is ok, nice, but sterile. With the new indoor practice facility, not sure what material disparity will exist between Cincy and the IU’s of the world.

UC fans are still talking about how Ill-prepared Bloomington and IU were for that game. it was pretty bad.
What I think most of us are frustrated with is not that Indiana isn't a powerhouse program, but that the AD seems very apathetic to the football program. No offense to UC, but IU is a wealthier school, with far more financial means to put a competitive football team on the field than UC. Tip of the cap to Luke Fickell for what he's done there, UC would've had a considerably better record than 2-10 last year if they had played Indiana's schedule. But, Cincy is still riding the high of being in a pretty crappy conference, and honestly, the Big 12 w/o it's two cash cows is going to be nothing to write home about. The downside to being in subpar conferences is obvious, less media attention(normally), less money, less overall interest. But the upside is your fanbase would rather watch a team that wins, than one that doesn't, no matter the conference. I would much rather watch a team go 12-0 in the AAC than 6-6 in the SEC. 6-6 may seem harsh, and we'll never know what Cincy would actually have done in the SEC, but you get my point, they would never be a major national talking point in an elite conference(and sorry but the post OU-Texas Big 12 is not elite).

For me it was telling how IU had one of the worst offenses in the entire FBS last year, and our HC and to take from his own contract to get rid of his OC. Not that Allen isn't being overpaid given last years results but if he has to literally take a pay cut in order to make obviously necessary changes to his coaching staff after a 2-10 season, that tells me the AD at Indiana simply doesn't care to make Indiana football any better. If they were committed to FB they would've worked with the CTA and said "how can we support you in making this program as good as it can be, because we're not going to bail on you yet, but last year was unacceptable", what I heard was "yeah last season was rough, but we've already given you all of the money we want to give to the football program, so if you want more changes Tom you're on your own". The IUFB fans know that football will always take a backseat to basketball in Bloomington, prime example was IUBB assistant Dane Fife being fired in the offseason and the IU AD never thought to make Woodson take a pay cut to buyout his contract. That's aside from the downright crazy contract worth ten million dollars a year they reportedly offered Brad Stevens to take over last year.

I missed where Luke Fickell was coaching Cincinnati in a major college football conference.
My point exactly. Cincy is about to be playing big boy football moving to the B12. We'll see how Cincy fares when they no longer have a decided edge in both coaching and talent, especially when Fickell inevitably moves on. Winning 11-12 games in the AAC in entirely different than winning 11-12 games in the B12.

"... For me it was telling how IU had one of the worst offenses in the entire FBS last year, and our HC and to take from his own contract to get rid of his OC. Not that Allen isn't being overpaid given last years results but if he has to literally take a pay cut in order to make obviously necessary changes to his coaching staff after a 2-10 season, that tells me the AD ... "

Is that a fact? Did Allen take from his own contract to get rid of his OC?

Please tell my where this was reported from a quantifiable source as fact ... In fact, if it's true there should be more than one you can name. I read, watch and listen all things IU football and I've yet to see it from a reliable news source with known inside information. If it's a known fact then fine. But please, don't tell me you've "connected all the dots"... that's not good enough.

Please tell my where this was reported from a quantifiable source as fact ... In fact, if it's true there should be more than one you can name. I read, watch and listen all things IU football and I've yet to see it from a reliable news source with known inside information. If it's a known fact then fine. But please, don't tell me you've "connected all the dots"... that's not good enough.

Reactions: jsenleo

Idk how you can seriously say "I read, watch and listen to all things IU football" and then not know Allen took a pay cut to get rid of Sheridan. Literally every article that talks about Sheridan's firing, mentions it's being funded by Allen taking a pay cut.

Despair, sterile? Been to several stadiums. Not much different other than size from MS.

Last edited:
Idk how you can seriously say "I read, watch and listen to all things IU football" and then not know Allen took a pay cut to get rid of Sheridan. Literally every article that talks about Sheridan's firing, mentions it's being funded by Allen taking a pay cut.

What's not being substantiated is who broached the subject, suggested the plan direction, insisted on the course of action? Allen is the kind of individual to push something unselfish like this to make that change happen. He is 1 of the very few HC's who is ALL about character and ALL in for the school he represents.

Reactions: Walt542 and 76-1
What's not being substantiated is who broached the subject, suggested the plan direction, insisted on the course of action? Allen is the kind of individual to push something unselfish like this to make that change happen. He is 1 of the very few HC's who is ALL about character and ALL in for the school he represents.
He talks a big game and I do think he's a very genuine person, but it's really hard to get a good sense of how these coaches operate behind closed doors. The failed Jaren Handy experiment even though his red flags were all related to his character not his football talent was a headscratcher to me, if Allen were all about character, I don't think he would've made that pick up. The lack of fight in the team toward the end of the season also made me question whether his message was truly resonating with the players. Needless to say I agree that we can't know anything for sure, but I still think the more likely option is that the AD wasn't willing to pay for it, which would also be the most logical explanation for why Hiller is still here. Ig it's all speculation and we most likely will never know for sure though.

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
I wasn’t attacking you or trying to hurt your feelings in any way, but what worked in 2020 didn’t in 2021, and that had much more to do with the ability of our opponents to prepare for it than it did any changes, which were very modest. Remember, the season changed on McFadden’s blitz in the UC game, and it was the exact same kind of pressure we brought the year before. The difference was that UC, Iowa and many others prepared for and picked up our packages, whereas the previous season didn’t allow teams to do that.

No intent to upset you or challenge your football knowledge, but Warren didn’t change nearly as much as some think. We just weren’t able to execute it the same way.
I believe you but you need to understand adding in phrases like this "There are some people here who either don’t follow the program closely or don’t know what they’re watching. You’re neither of those," re not needed and needlessly attack posters instead of sharing ideas.

He talks a big game and I do think he's a very genuine person, but it's really hard to get a good sense of how these coaches operate behind closed doors. The failed Jaren Handy experiment even though his red flags were all related to his character not his football talent was a headscratcher to me, if Allen were all about character, I don't think he would've made that pick up. The lack of fight in the team toward the end of the season also made me question whether his message was truly resonating with the players. Needless to say I agree that we can't know anything for sure, but I still think the more likely option is that the AD wasn't willing to pay for it, which would also be the most logical explanation for why Hiller is still here. Ig it's all speculation and we most likely will never know for sure though.
To me Allen reads like an open book with big type. I highly doubt the intended negative narrative about Scott Dolson and him more likely pissing down Allen's throat than being a positive supportive resource. Nothing concrete substantiates that attitude or practice.
Go HOOSIERS

I believe you but you need to understand adding in phrases like this "There are some people here who either don’t follow the program closely or don’t know what they’re watching. You’re neither of those," re not needed and needlessly attack posters instead of sharing ideas.
No one was attacked with that statement, it was only a result of some head scratching observations made. Sorry if it upset you, no intent to do that.

1. I’d bet a cold cup of coffee that Warren called less than half the blitzes and stunts that Wommack called. Didnt look at the film. Didnt count them. Wasn't gonna re-live those gut-wrenching games. Gut guess. But the defense flat out failed last year by most metrics. Warren was just way less aggressive and tried to time his pressure, while Wommack sought to have near-constant pressure. And we should have seen it coming. Even in his first press conference, Warren gave us coach-speak about seeing what players could do, and blah blah blah. Wommack took our talent and used it aggressively. Warren did not. It answered the question why a coach would leave that Georgia defense and come to IU and fail. He wasn't ready to be a DC. He left, but I’d bet another coffee he was out if he didnt.

2. Same with McCullough. Why leave the NFL for IU? He had a better coach-speak reason - “getting the McCullough band together.” But again, as soon as I heard his first presser, where he talked about “already implementing” some “overall way we practice” changes he brought from the NFL, the red flags went up. He was out of his lane.

Both 1 and 2 fall on Coach Allen. He maybe over-valued some important things and under-valued others in his hiring. Hope he learned from it. He knocked it out of the park in hiring DeBoer. So its not like he is just some idiot.

3. OL and run game and OC cannot be separated. Those coaches MUST be effective and on the same page. Ours weren't. I wasnt at practice, so I don't know why, but we had an ineffective offense. Sheridan took the fall. McCullough took the exit ramp. Etc.

I always believed it was harder for “have not” schools to STAY GOOD than to GET good. Like it or not, we got good, fell apart quick, and are looking at a rebuilding year.

Open 4-0, everybody will be happy.
Go to 4-1, and we”ll be bitching like hell.

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

Beat Illinois.

You are correct. My apology. I never saw any of these articles because I won't pay to read si, the Indy Star ESPN or Peegs. All I recall seeing here on The Hoosier is the claim from posters.... maybe The Hoosier article included a source when it came out and I just missed it... Honestly, I read everything that comes my way about IU football but I don't necessarily chase it down. Thanks and I hope no offense is taken.

1. I’d bet a cold cup of coffee that Warren called less than half the blitzes and stunts that Wommack called. Didnt look at the film. Didnt count them. Wasn't gonna re-live those gut-wrenching games. Gut guess. But the defense flat out failed last year by most metrics. Warren was just way less aggressive and tried to time his pressure, while Wommack sought to have near-constant pressure. And we should have seen it coming. Even in his first press conference, Warren gave us coach-speak about seeing what players could do, and blah blah blah. Wommack took our talent and used it aggressively. Warren did not. It answered the question why a coach would leave that Georgia defense and come to IU and fail. He wasn't ready to be a DC. He left, but I’d bet another coffee he was out if he didnt.

2. Same with McCullough. Why leave the NFL for IU? He had a better coach-speak reason - “getting the McCullough band together.” But again, as soon as I heard his first presser, where he talked about “already implementing” some “overall way we practice” changes he brought from the NFL, the red flags went up. He was out of his lane.

Both 1 and 2 fall on Coach Allen. He maybe over-valued some important things and under-valued others in his hiring. Hope he learned from it. He knocked it out of the park in hiring DeBoer. So its not like he is just some idiot.

3. OL and run game and OC cannot be separated. Those coaches MUST be effective and on the same page. Ours weren't. I wasnt at practice, so I don't know why, but we had an ineffective offense. Sheridan took the fall. McCullough took the exit ramp. Etc.

I always believed it was harder for “have not” schools to STAY GOOD than to GET good. Like it or not, we got good, fell apart quick, and are looking at a rebuilding year.

Open 4-0, everybody will be happy.
Go to 4-1, and we”ll be bitching like hell.

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

Beat Illinois.
A few big differences:

1. Most teams had trouble practicing and preparing in 2020, which meant a heavy blitz oriented D would create chaos in pass protection for just about everyone. We even made Kevin Wilson and his group look unorganized;

2. It worked even better when your best, by far, D lineman, Jerome Johnson was a space eating, double-teamed redwood in the middle. Teams had to account for him first, and that made shaky pass pro even more of something we could exploit;

3. Tom Allen hired a guy he didn’t know to run his defense, the 4-2-5, and that was known to be a pre-requisite of the job. Even Wommack had to deal with TA’s constant presence in the D Kitchen, so there was zero chance Warren would be able to do much of anything with out Coach Tom’s regular input. Suggesting 2021 was Warren’s D isn't reality. The factors that led to a decent but not overwhelming D in 2020 weren’t there in 2021 and, when the one big positive went away (turnover margin), the bottom fell out. Injuries, especially to both veteran corners, who could deal with constant blitzing, Hurt a ton, too.

Reactions: Torbin.Bequette
Those thinly veiled personal attacks are not meant for you. Yet.

Have you seen the prices they're charging for our game next year? They had a few good years and one great one and suddenly they're charging prices as if they're Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan all rolled into one.

Perhaps that's just a ploy to keep IU fans from buying too many tickets, but what IU sent out showed that visiting fans will pay for that game starts at $90 and goes up as high as $175. Meanwhile, Nebraska and Michigan State are charging $65/$70. OSU prices not set yet. What a joke.
I’ve not seen an official release, but the scuttlebutt is the IU game in Cincinnati is pretty much sold out. UC did announce today that season tickets have sold out for the year, which is 23,500 in a 37,500 seat stadium. Of that, 3,000 is for opposing team allocation. I’ll assume IU won’t be returning any of their tickets.

I’ve not seen an official release, but the scuttlebutt is the IU game in Cincinnati is pretty much sold out. UC did announce today that season tickets have sold out for the year, which is 23,500 in a 37,500 seat stadium. Of that, 3,000 is for opposing team allocation. I’ll assume IU won’t be returning any of their tickets.
Tickets to the game at Nippert are currently available to certain tiers of IU season ticket holders. No idea what the demand has been, especially after last season, but we had no trouble getting four.

How much money does the family need? I'm not saying that they're generationally wealthy, but it's public information that their father has made some coin the past 10 years. Is $50k really going to do anything for their quality of life?
Like Shaq said to his kids, "We aren't rich. I'm rich. You're broke".

The day Luke Fickell leaves is the day the shine wears off. They'll be the Butler of college football, a G5 school stuck in big boy land. Cincy doesn't have the facilities, resources, or booster support to survive big boy college football without an elite level head coach. Louisville was the one commuter school who was able to pull it off for awhile, but outing cash cow Papa John is going to be their demise. Their football and basketball programs have fallen off a cliff the last few years.
Big 12 wont be a power 5 conference once Texas and Oklahoma officially move. They are barely one with them in it. It is really the power 2 with the PAC-12 and ACC hoping to gain some relevance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT