ADVERTISEMENT

McCulley??

GR8IUFAN

Benchwarmer
May 29, 2021
Does anyone else find it interesting/conspicuous that there has been no talk about DM?
He was by far the best receiver last season and was so hyped when he decided to return, but so far crickets.
No trip to Indy for media day, no practice interviews and absolutely no mention from CCC.
Is this good or bad?

Hopefully all about motivation. Hard to believe there’s a better athlete on the team. Sometimes those blessed with such god given talent, need to be pushed as they’ve always been so much better than their competition to this point. Now, if this staff can get him to another level, then look out!!

Does anyone else find it interesting/conspicuous that there has been no talk about DM?
He was by far the best receiver last season and was so hyped when he decided to return, but so far crickets.
No trip to Indy for media day, no practice interviews and absolutely no mention from CCC.
Is this good or bad?
Not surprising at all.
I think Cig knows the kid has a ton of talent but has not taken it to where it needs to be.
Whether that is work ethic, not practicing with max effort, who knows?
In fact, when someone mentioned how deep his WR room was, he quickly pointed out he needs st see some separations. Nobody standing out from the pack and he specifically mentioned that he needs to see guys that can separate from defenders.

Not surprising at all.
I think Cig knows the kid has a ton of talent but has not taken it to where it needs to be.
Whether that is work ethic, not practicing with max effort, who knows?
In fact, when someone mentioned how deep his WR room was, he quickly pointed out he needs st see some separations. Nobody standing out from the pack and he specifically mentioned that he needs to see guys that can separate from defenders.
And so far it’s been reported that Pond’s hasn’t been beaten yet this fall camp

And so far it’s been reported that Pond’s hasn’t been beaten yet this fall camp
Again, Ponds is further proof of the recruiting gold mine in the state of Florida. It’s why when you see kids that are rated 5.4-5.5 rating in that state, I don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison with recruits from other states with similar ratings that don’t play football year round.
Ponds excelled on a high school team, Chaminade, that had kids on the same team in his graduating class that signed with U. Miami, FSU, North Carolina, NC State and Maryland. That area produces a ton of talent. Shaun Shivers also was a Chaminade grad.

I think McCulley will be fine. Cig talked about him in one of the QA's the other day. One thing that Carter Smith said yesterday was good insight. When asked about the JMU and other guy's and his thoughts, he said they are aggressive and attack. He also said just how fast Mikail was and while we haven't seen him yet, Walker sounds like he fly's around at the LB position.

McCulley is going to be on the field a lot and get plenty of targets. I think with Sarratt on one side, McCulley on the other and Price in the slot, with rotating in Cooper, Williams and the others this is going to be a dangerous group. I don't think teams are going to be able to make us one dimensional.

I know there are knocks about them playing in the Sun Belt but I still keep going back to the programs that were going after these transfers. We didn't win them away from MAC schools, we got them over offers from some pretty solid programs who offered.

This is Donavan’s last year, having played as a true freshman, to prove he’s worthy of a high draft pick.
It’s hard to believe he wouldn’t be putting in the work.

Katic, Fisher, and Ellison had the stories CCC wanted more than McCulley’s. I don’t think it was ‘motivation’ after all.

I like the notion he may line up at Z. Fryfogle had a monster year as a flanker.

Again, Ponds is further proof of the recruiting gold mine in the state of Florida. It’s why when you see kids that are rated 5.4-5.5 rating in that state, I don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison with recruits from other states with similar ratings that don’t play football year round.
Ponds excelled on a high school team, Chaminade, that had kids on the same team in his graduating class that signed with U. Miami, FSU, North Carolina, NC State and Maryland. That area produces a ton of talent. Shaun Shivers also was a Chaminade grad.
He mentioned him being undersized and I think that’s why he was overlooked. CCC said come on down.

McCulley had one good game last year. The new staff demands more. We will see if he steps up.
That just isn't true. Statistically he had one monster game (Illinois) but his emergence as a legit deep threat completely opened up the offensive playbook. IU's offensive production the first 7 games vs the final 5 games was night and day which directly coincides with DM's improved play.

I think many posting here will be surprised at how good the transfers are. The idea that those players aren't good enough for the B1G isn't accurate.

I'm still a doubter about most of the JMU guys (except Horton, Sarratt, Kamara and Ponds) until we see them against UCLA, Maryland and Nebraska... If they can compete at a high level against those guys I'll be won over and impressed (and I consider those teams just mid-level decent Big Ten teams...).

We'll see... Once again..., I hope I'm very wrong and I'd prefer to see every JMU transfer end up becoming All Americans and All Big Ten... I'll happily say I was wrong...

Last edited:
I'm still a doubter about most of the JMU guys (except Horton, Sarratt, Kamara and Pond) until we see them against UCLA, Maryland and Nebraska... If they can compete at a high level against those guys I'll be won over and impressed (and I consider those teams just mid-level decent Big Ten teams...).

We'll see... Once again..., I hope I'm very wrong and I'd prefer to see every JMU transfer end up becoming All Americans and All Big Ten... I'll happily say I was wrong...
I would tend to agree but I think that the guys we got are the best of the best from a 25th ranked team last year, so we’ll see how that all translates to P4 ball.

I'm still a doubter about most of the JMU guys (except Horton, Sarratt, Kamara and Pond) until we see them against UCLA, Maryland and Nebraska... If they can compete at a high level against those guys I'll be won over and impressed (and I consider those teams just mid-level decent Big Ten teams...).

I’m with you mostly. The reason he went with all those guys is culture and teaching. It’s the fastest way to get a team on the same page.

Until it’s proven the G5 kids don’t work at this level, I’m all for it. I like the idea of these guys “punching up”, bringing competition in practice to the guys who were already here and to facilitate the culture change needed.

We will see over the next few weeks and months how it all works out. Beat FIU!!

The feedback I heard in the spring and now in fall camp, is that every one of the healthy JMU transferring players was an upgrade over existing players. Allen had a lot of recruiting misses in some key areas (DL, LB, OL and WR), the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I expect Ponds to have the best CB season we’ve seen since Mullins made All BiG.

Having great DBs to go against for WR to work routes against. Then in games the WR know how to gain separation making it easier on the QB.
Pete also quotes Donavan on being coached to run efficient routes … getting all the steps right strengthens the route tree. When the next step is the cut, not giving the direction away requires the DB to rely only on technique.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT