ADVERTISEMENT

Marylands Smith.....

Hope we meet them in the tourney and ****ing crush them. And I hope that punk gets posterized. Will root against them every game while he is there. Even root for UK to beat them if I get the chance.
Absolutely.

If I were his coach he’d sit the first half of the next game. Just a pure punk move. I’d be embarrassed by him.

Here, educate yourself about this situation from other's perspective that know him better than you do...

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/01/26/video-mark-turgeon-reacts-to-win-at-indiana/

Jalen Smith
@JalenSmith2000

I want to sincerely apologize to all the Indiana’s fans and players for how I acted at the end of the game. I let my emotions get the best of me and it won’t happen again. I have nothing but respect for all Indiana’s fans and players. Please forgive me and I wish you all the best
3:50 PM · Jan 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Reactions: brianiu
Here, educate yourself about this situation from other's perspective that know him better than you do...

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/01/26/video-mark-turgeon-reacts-to-win-at-indiana/

Jalen Smith
@JalenSmith2000

I want to sincerely apologize to all the Indiana’s fans and players for how I acted at the end of the game. I let my emotions get the best of me and it won’t happen again. I have nothing but respect for all Indiana’s fans and players. Please forgive me and I wish you all the best
3:50 PM · Jan 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
screw that. Sick of people acting like tools in real life, then issuing CYA apologies on social media after the fact. Measure of a man is how they walk in real life, not in the virtual world. I saw plenty of the real Jalen Smith during the game yesterday. He's got a big contract waiting for him a few months, and so be it....Darwin on display. But I'll never be a fan and his apology after the game was all CYA.

Didn't the cheerleaders use to always surround the Indiana center court just for this reason?
I believe, Mark, that there was a time that we did-I think it was started after a loss to PUke and they had some players jumping up and down on the logo.

Man he won, and talked some shit. That was a pretty badass comeback from his eyes. They played easily there best game on the road. Was a big win and he started running his mouth. Fans for sure were talking shit too, they just didn't make the headlines. Ok in my book. If anything fuels up IU a bit.

For example earlier in the year my buddy courtside yelled at Justin to pay attention after he made a careless TO. Justin turned to him on the court and told him to shut the F up. Is he a classes punk?

Man he won, and talked some shit. That was a pretty badass comeback from his eyes. They played easily there best game on the road. Was a big win and he started running his mouth. Fans for sure were talking shit too, they just didn't make the headlines. Ok in my book. If anything fuels up IU a bit.

For example earlier in the year my buddy courtside yelled at Justin to pay attention after he made a careless TO. Justin turned to him on the court and told him to shut the F up. Is he a classes punk?

a family friend played B10 basketball and in the NFL. My dad once asked him about dealing with people in the stands in hostile environments. He said something like “if you can’t completely shut out the fans from your mind, you’ve already lost the game”.

with that being said, these are kids and not pro athletes.

Reactions: Deli owl
a family friend played B10 basketball and in the NFL. My dad once asked him about dealing with people in the stands in hostile environments. He said something like “if you can’t completely shut out the fans from your mind, you’ve already lost the game”.

and he won the game....ha

and he won the game....ha

I think he was referring more to the level of concentration and mental toughness required of an athlete. If players are focusing on (or distracted ) someone in the crowd, that is taking away from what they s/b locked into. I understand that a team can play off of a crowds energy, or even use it as fuel in a hostile environment.

I think he was referring more to the level of concentration and mental toughness required of an athlete. If players are focusing on (or distracted ) someone in the crowd, that is taking away from what they s/b locked into. I understand that a team can play off of a crowds energy, or even use it as fuel in a hostile environment.

The latter, is what smith displayed. It for sure fueled him, and after he completed the job, he let it all out. I kinda like that stuff. For sure doesn’t bother me.

Larry bird is one of my favorite nba players. He talked so much shit. And was so cocky after doing it as well. I love that shit.

For a number of years I regularly sat very close to the IU bench during road games. The stuff screamed at Knight from the second he walked onto the floor until he left at the end of the game was amazing. Vile, nasty stuff, and from young and old, men and women, students and alums. It was equal opportunity garbage. And you’d have thought Knight was deaf. I never once saw him react or even turn toward someone. Not even a change in expression.

The latter, is what smith displayed. It for sure fueled him, and after he completed the job, he let it all out. I kinda like that stuff. For sure doesn’t bother me.

Larry bird is one of my favorite nba players. He talked so much shit. And was so cocky after doing it as well. I love that shit.

Larry did talk all kinds of shit, but I rarely, if ever, remember it being directed at other fans. That was what Smith did wrong, and you didn't have to look any further than how his Coach reacted to it.

Reactions: mk23
Larry did talk all kinds of shit, but I rarely, if ever, remember it being directed at other fans. That was what Smith did wrong, and you didn't have to look any further than how his Coach reacted to it.

Ya for sure was over the top, but i mean hey good for him, my feelings arent hurt. That is a bad man and a lottery pick.

screw that. Sick of people acting like tools in real life, then issuing CYA apologies on social media after the fact. Measure of a man is how they walk in real life, not in the virtual world. I saw plenty of the real Jalen Smith during the game yesterday. He's got a big contract waiting for him a few months, and so be it....Darwin on display. But I'll never be a fan and his apology after the game was all CYA.
Yeah, I kinda doubt if overwhelming feelings of remorse were behind that "apology."

Ya for sure was over the top, but i mean hey good for him, my feelings arent hurt. That is a bad man and a lottery pick.

Well, I'm glad to see his Coach's reaction. Do I care? Not really, but I definitely would if it was an IU player, and I think it was bush. But, that's just a bad precedent to set and can help feed the type of environment that creates a KU v KSU brawl. Talk smack on the floor, but let the coaches deal with fans.

Most of the people bitching about it get more emotional at waiting in a drive through at McDonald’s because the fries are cold. The dude kicked our ass all game long and had every answer we threw at him. He apologized, move on.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
It’s not just Jalen. Most of these kids get away with murder growing up, and they are capable of being idiots. It’s the generation. Our players are capable of doing that. Does anyone think Devonte wouldn’t troll a crowd? Lol.

No, but your friend is.

It’s not just Jalen. Most of these kids get away with murder growing up, and they are capable of being idiots. It’s the generation. Our players are capable of doing that. Does anyone think Devonte wouldn’t troll a crowd? Lol.

Actually, I've seen no reason to think Devonte would do that. What makes you say that? I don't always like how he plays, nor did I like his body language on the bench in whatever game that was that he pouted, but I've never noticed him being demonstrative after games or jawing with fans.

The mistake was made in going to the sideline. I have no doubt that someone (maybe more) in the crowd was on him hard, but his actions at the end of the game could have created a really ugly scene. All it would have taken is for one hothead in that floor section to come after him, or throw a drink or something else on him, and it could have provoked a minor riot.

Then he came back in front of the student section and started things up again. I honestly thought that there might be students rushing the floor to get at him.

The conference should probably suspend him for a game, especially in the wake of the Kansas / K-State incident. Players need to understand the potential for violent outbreaks if they get into direct confrontations with individual fans. If Smith had a problem with somebody in the crowd being abusive, the proper thing to do would be to tell the officials. They could then alert security and venue officials and get rid of the trouble. What Smith did was dangerous, nevermind the sportsmanship problem. He was jeopardizing his own safety in an already-tense environment. All players need to be firmly reminded not to engage the crowd, even the idiots.

The mistake was made in going to the sideline. I have no doubt that someone (maybe more) in the crowd was on him hard, but his actions at the end of the game could have created a really ugly scene. All it would have taken is for one hothead in that floor section to come after him, or throw a drink or something else on him, and it could have provoked a minor riot.

Then he came back in front of the student section and started things up again. I honestly thought that there might be students rushing the floor to get at him.

The conference should probably suspend him for a game, especially in the wake of the Kansas / K-State incident. Players need to understand the potential for violent outbreaks if they get into direct confrontations with individual fans. If Smith had a problem with somebody in the crowd being abusive, the proper thing to do would be to tell the officials. They could then alert security and venue officials and get rid of the trouble. What Smith did was dangerous, nevermind the sportsmanship problem. He was jeopardizing his own safety in an already-tense environment. All players need to be firmly reminded not to engage the crowd, even the idiots.
I remember a one Robert Montgomery Knight dancing and running across the Michigan floor raising his hands to the fans to basically go to hell after an Alford buzzer beater, man those were the days!!!!

I believe, Mark, that there was a time that we did-I think it was started after a loss to PUke and they had some players jumping up and down on the logo.

That sounds like IU & Fred.......have the cheerleaders protect the logo.....better get that plan back in place!!

They'd be much more likely to throw something in a dangerous manner than come onto the court and challenge a 7' black guy......just sayin'.

He’s a kid. It’s an emotional game. Give him a break. I doubt there would be any outrage if the tables were turned. Use it as motivation if we see them again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT