ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland by the Numbers

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
It’s only Sunday night but I'm already chomping at the bit for next Saturday. Here’s an early look at next weekend’s all-important Indiana-Maryland match-up.

The biggest thing that jumps off the page is that this game will pit Indiana’s 17th ranked passing offense against a Maryland pass defense that ranks 113th in the country. IU has gained 302.8 yards per game through the air while the Terps have given up 279.7 per contest.

So barring something weird Indiana should be able to pass the ball effectively in College Park.

Both Indiana and Maryland run Spread Offenses. While DeBoer and Indiana like to put it in the air more Maryland takes a more run-first approach. Maryland averages 212.8 rushing yards per game which ranks 31st in the country. Indiana’s rush defense is allowing 120.8 yards per contest which ranks 38th.

Last year Anthony McFarland had 29 carries for 210 yards in Bloomington. In 2019 McFarland has 66 caries for 340 yards and 7 TDs but he isn’t even the Terp’s top runner. Junior Javon Leake has 36 carries for 341 yards and 5 TDs. Leake is averaging 9.5 yards per carry (yes you read that correctly).

Leake is also a Kick Returner and he took one to the house earlier this year (100 yards vs Rutgers). Punt Returner DJ Turner also took one all the way so the Terp’s return game is something IU will need to be ready for.

Maryland’s front seven is good at getting penetration - their 8.2 tackles for a loss per game ranks 10th in the country.

The Terps have yet to allow a 4th down conversion in 2019, opponents are 0 for 9 so far.

I double checked this, Maryland doesn’t have a field goal in 2019. They do have a couple of missed attempts and they’ve also missed a couple of extra points. I’m not sure if their kicker is bad or this is just a weird thing up to this point. Their offense has only scored 68 percent of the time in the red zone so it seems like maybe there is an issue? (I'm checking into this.)

Maryland’s starting QB Josh Jackson was hurt on October 5th vs Rutgers and he did not play Saturday against Purdue. It remains to be seen whether Jackson will be able to go or not. If he isn’t able to go I don’t necessarily view it as that big of a positive for IU. While Jackson definitely has an upside he is prone to making poor decisions and can hurt Maryland as much as he helps them.

Indiana comes into this week ranking high in several statistical categories:
  • Indiana’s 3rd down conversion percentage defense ranks 7th in the country (.275)
  • Their Passing Defense ranks 10th in the country, allowing only 161.8 yards per game
  • Their Total Defense ranks 13th, giving up a mere 282.7 ypg
  • IU’s 3rd down conversion percentage of .488 ranks 14th
  • The Hoosier’s Passing Offense ranks 17th, gaining 302.8 ypg
  • The Hoosiers have only allowed 1.33 sacks per game, which ranks 25th in FBS
Indiana has not had many explosive punt or kick returns this year. And I’ll continue to bring this up, the Hoosiers are going the wrong way on turnover margin, they are down to -4 – which ranks 108th nationally. (Maryland is +3.) IU’s Red Zone Defense ranks 111th, allowing a score 90 percent of the time.

Last edited:
It’s only Sunday night but I'm is chomping at the bit for next Saturday. Here’s an early look at next weekend’s all-important Indiana-Maryland match-up.

The biggest thing that jumps off the page is that this game will pit Indiana’s 17th ranked passing offense against a Maryland pass defense that ranks 113th in the country. IU has gained 302.8 yards per game through the air while the Terps have given up 279.7 per contest.

So barring something weird Indiana should be able to pass the ball effectively in College Park.

Both Indiana and Maryland run Spread Offenses. While DeBoer and Indiana like to put it in the air more Maryland takes a more run-first approach. Maryland averages 212.8 rushing yards per game which ranks 31st in the country. Indiana’s rush defense is allowing 120.8 yards per contest which ranks 38th.

Last year Anthony McFarland had 29 carries for 210 yards in Bloomington. In 2019 McFarland has 66 caries for 340 yards and 7 TDs but he isn’t even the Terp’s top runner. Junior Javon Leake has 36 carries for 341 yards and 5 TDs. Leake is averaging 9.5 yards per carry (yes you read that correctly).

Leake is also a Kick Returner and he took one to the house earlier this year (100 yards vs Rutgers). Punt Returner DJ Turner also took one all the way so the Terp’s return game is something IU will need to be ready for.

Maryland’s front seven is good at getting penetration - their 8.2 tackles for a loss per game ranks 10th in the country.

The Terps have yet to allow a 4th down conversion in 2019, opponents are 0 for 9 so far.

I double checked this, Maryland doesn’t have a field goal in 2019. They do have a couple of missed attempts and they’ve also missed a couple of extra points. I’m not sure if their kicker is bad or this is just a weird thing up to this point. Their offense has only scored 68 percent of the time in the red zone so it seems like maybe there is an issue? (I'm checking into this.)

Maryland’s starting QB Josh Jackson was hurt on October 5th vs Rutgers and he did not play Saturday against Purdue. It remains to be seen whether Jackson will be able to go or not. If he isn’t able to go I don’t necessarily view it as that big of a positive for IU. While Jackson definitely has an upside he is prone to making poor decisions and can hurt Maryland as much as he helps them.

• Indiana’s 3rd down conversion percentage defense ranks 7th in the country (.275)
  • Their Passing Defense ranks 10th in the country, allowing only 161.8 yards per game
Indiana has not had many explosive punt or kick returns this year. And I’ll continue to bring this up, the Hoosiers are going the wrong way on turnover margin, they are down to -4 – which ranks 108th nationally. (Maryland is +3.) IU’s Red Zone Defense ranks 111th, allowing a score 90 percent of the time.
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it!

It’s only Sunday night but I'm is chomping at the bit for next Saturday. Here’s an early look at next weekend’s all-important Indiana-Maryland match-up.

I think that the McFarland kid is hurt. I watched their game last night and I think he only had a small number of totes and I think one of the tv guys said he had a bum ankle. Leake had a couple of sort of long runs maybe 20-30 yards or so and he also scored a touchdown. The qb Pigrome had the longest run against Purdue which was about 60 yards for a TD. I did not see him make really bad decisions passing but he looked like he was inaccurate because he threw behind receivers a few times including one that was a pick 6. I will be interested to see how our defense does because our opponents offenses have been really good or really bad so far and mostly bad. Ohio state might be the best team in the country but eastern Illinois, Connecticut and Rutgers are just the opposite. Bsu is ok and MSU is also ok. Maryland isn’t great but may give us a more normal team to measure our d against.

It’s only Sunday night but I'm already chomping at the bit for next Saturday. Here’s an early look at next weekend’s all-important Indiana-Maryland match-up.

Just wondering how many times teams have been in the Red Zone against IU this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT