ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette wins scrimmage

Meh...No Green ..No Rob..
Heck ..that could be at least the #1 scorer and possibly #2 or three not playing..
I see we're starting off..Where we left at the free throw line...
Kinda surprised it was that close..
Marquette is a top 4 projection in the Big East..
So hopefully the coaching staff see's where we need work..

Reactions: MrBing and kkott
Heck ..that could be at least the #1 scorer and possibly #2 or three not playing..
Anderson and Thompson logged the most minutes of any players other than Franklin. Maybe CAM wanted to see what he was going to get from these two this year, and the answer is not much. They combined for 1-8 from the field, and 1-6 from the line. Pretty poor for two experienced players. I thought Anderson should have transferred at the end of the last season.

Franklin, the freshman, was 4-7 from the field and 4-7 from the line. I think he'll be counted on this season.

24 of 43 from the line as a team? You gotta be kidding me! I predicted a 13-0 start for the team, but with this stat, I'm embarrassed to have said it.

Reactions: uncleter
Anderson and Thompson logged the most minutes of any players other than Franklin. Maybe CAM wanted to see what he was going to get from these two this year, and the answer is not much. They combined for 1-8 from the field, and 1-6 from the line. Pretty poor for two experienced players. I thought Anderson should have transferred at the end of the last season.

Franklin, the freshman, was 4-7 from the field and 4-7 from the line. I think he'll be counted on this season.

24 of 43 from the line as a team? You gotta be kidding me! I predicted a 13-0 start for the team, but with this stat, I'm embarrassed to have said it.
I saw several of Franklin's high school games online. He could really stroke it and had good athleticism. Anderson is a head scratcher. He has potential. Hopefully he can figure it out. Thompson is the garbage man. He will do the scrappy things and be a disruptor.

Markus Howard is competing for national player of the year and most have Marquette in the preseason top 25. Just a scrimmage.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

I agree, anything can happen in these scrimmages and I'm shocked it was that close without our starting backcourt. The FT thing is the most frustrating thing, and I don't believe CAM isn't having them practice, coaching, punishing, etc... I really believe it's just a mental thing and these guys go to the line apprehensive. To me again it goes back to this team lacks a leader, someone who calls them together and says this is unacceptable and leads the way by hitting their FTs.

Aamaan Franklin's line looks very encouraging...some of you I'm sure have a better assessment of him coming out of high school and his ability to contribute this year...I had no such insight...I never saw him play in high school. If he's transitioning well...and this line is encouraging...that can go a long way to help us this year.

Last edited:
Very difficult to gauge much anything based off the box score alone. Sometimes numbers lie, but that's all we have to go on.

Encouraged that Franklin and Hunter appear to be able to contribute from the start of the season. That is significant. I like that as a team they did not settle for threes, which may have been impacted by DG not playing. They were able to get to the foul line and it looks like they were scoring on the break.

What I can't tell is if they defended the three point shot well or if Marquette was just off. They shot 9 of 25 for the game, which is still a lot of threes to give up but not terrible overall.

Concerns are obvious - poor FT shooting, lots of turnovers, and too many fouls. Something that stands out is the low number of offensive rebounds. I expect Brunk, TJD, DD, Race and JS to get on the glass for extra shots.

The other concern is that although they keep saying the injuries to DG and RP are not a big deal, the season is quickly approaching. Are they practicing at full speed with the team or are they also held out of that? Add to it DD only playing limited minutes after an entire off season to be ready to go, and there is at lease reason to wonder how healthy this team is to start things off.

Very difficult to gauge much anything based off the box score alone. Sometimes numbers lie, but that's all we have to go on.

Encouraged that Franklin and Hunter appear to be able to contribute from the start of the season. That is significant. I like that as a team they did not settle for threes, which may have been impacted by DG not playing. They were able to get to the foul line and it looks like they were scoring on the break.

What I can't tell is if they defended the three point shot well or if Marquette was just off. They shot 9 of 25 for the game, which is still a lot of threes to give up but not terrible overall.

Concerns are obvious - poor FT shooting, lots of turnovers, and too many fouls. Something that stands out is the low number of offensive rebounds. I expect Brunk, TJD, DD, Race and JS to get on the glass for extra shots.

The other concern is that although they keep saying the injuries to DG and RP are not a big deal, the season is quickly approaching. Are they practicing at full speed with the team or are they also held out of that? Add to it DD only playing limited minutes after an entire off season to be ready to go, and there is at lease reason to wonder how healthy this team is to start things off.
yep agree, didn't think too much when these guys sat out of the theatrics of Hoosier Hysteria, but not playing in this scrimmage is making me wonder about the extend of these 'minor' nagging injuries. Very worried about DD making it through the season.
Apparently they didn't shoot 500 free throws every day over the summer like I was hoping. Can only assume that our FT% would have improved if Rob and Devonte had played and shot some of those free throws. But still...we need to be able to shoot 70% as a team or we're going to lose 4-5 games this year that we should have won, and that's the difference between a 6 seed and a bubble team come mid March.
On the bright side....getting some good minutes from Hunter and Franklin is very encouraging.

That happens everywhere ^
How may coaches went we took blank over Oladipo..
Geez...

None. We were the best school recruiting him. Clemson and Marquette were never his 1st option. Missing Henry was on us, he would have came here if Damezi offer was never given. Damezi committed first so Henry was out.

Another huge miss was Musa Jallow who played less than a baseball throw away from AH. He will start for a #11 OSU.

Gonna be pissed when we dont have enough players to practice come January. I am very very concerned we only have 11 scholarship players and half of them are injury prone. No1 seemed to think it was a big deal.... We shall see

Just when I read ignorant posts, like the one I just replied to you on in another thread.
No I don't think that's it at all. You just seem pissed all the time about IU. You're very emotional for a grown man. I'm guessing you're a grown man.

Reactions: Cutter1973
No I don't think that's it at all. You just seem pissed all the time about IU. You're very emotional for a grown man. I'm guessing you're a grown man.

IU basketball directly effects my money. I have already bought over 35k worth of tickets this year. So yes when something effects my money I care.

Successful people are passionate about things. Maybe you could try being passionate in your work, might bring you some success.

IU basketball directly effects my money. I have already bought over 35k worth of tickets this year. So yes when something effects my money I care.

Successful people are passionate about things. Maybe you could try being passionate in your work, might bring you some success.
So emotional.

Don't worry about my success because I'm doing very well. Getting all emotional like you do would probably have gotten me killed by now also.

We committed 16 turnovers without our starting back court. Franklin was our only guard in the game the final 9 minutes and we were tied with about a minute to go. I would be interested if our turnovers came in that last 9 minutes with one guard. Archie has had a chance to see Franklin play against a good player in Howard. I'm going to assume Franklin himself building confidence with his coach

Some were critical of Thompson not scoring. He had 7 rebounds and nothing in the box score tells how well he defended or who he defended. I've thought he might be a Juwan Morgan player that does a lot of little things early and will score when he needs to be a scorer.

It was the perfect opportunity for Damezi to show up with RP and Green not playing. Nothing stands out to me in the box score that he has made any progress on the offensive end. He was 0-4 from the free throw line. Those lamenting our FT% should take his numbers out of the stats and recalculate. Damezi my be our lone scholarship player on the end of the bench next to the walk on players.

The low minutes for Davis while Brunk scored 11 points and had 7 rebounds suggests Joey will be the starter early in the season. Davis is either hurt, or Archie is limiting his minutes. The other possibility is Davis isn't as good as he needs to be or not working hard enough and Joey earned the spot. Either way, Joey is my pick to start.

It is concerning that RP and Green has missed HH and this scrimmage. First it was called soreness and now called minor injuries. My guess is they have some nagging issue that they could probably play through but Archie won't risk making it worse. My concern will ratchet up if they don't play in our exhibition. The team needs time to play together. Missing the exhibition.would be a bad sign and hurt our team development.

The positive is our 3 new players scored over half our points with Green and RP not playing. Granted there is only one data point, but Franklin does seem to be able to play and probably learned the most about himself.

Another huge miss was Musa Jallow who played less than a baseball throw away from AH. He will start for a #11 OSU.
That is more on Crean and than Miller. If you want to blame Miller, which of Crean's recruits should he have dropped in favor of Jallow?

Wing Smith who was a 4*?

Big Moore who had a similar ranking to Jallow (3*/4* depending on site) but is 6'10"?

The obvious choice (not using hindsight) would be fellow guard Durham who was lower ranked. Of course, Durham has put up much better numbers at IU than Jallow has at OSU. So in hindsight, this has worked out better for IU so far. Not as drastic of a difference as Henry/Anderson but still a pretty big difference for the level of contribution between the two of them through 2 years.

I guess he could've taken him instead of recruiting Thompson who was a higher ranked 4*. But this would again be hindsight.

I would also point out that he likely won't start. Returning guards Muhammad and Washington had better stats. Muhammad played many more minutes than either and Washington more than doubled Jallow's ppg in 2mpg more. Freshman DJ Carton would also likely start over him (Jallow isn't a PG anyways). There are forwards that would start ahead of him too if you want to place him as a third guard/small forward starter. I just don't see him starting. Edit: I see he has already started 23 games in his career (10 FR/13 SO). Yet averaged only 15mpg last season. I still don't see him being a full time starter unless one of the other players is just better off the bench.

Only hindsight would say to take him instead of Moore but even then he hasn't put up great numbers at OSU in his first 2 seasons.

Last edited:
That is more on Crean and than Miller. If you want to blame Miller, which of Crean's recruits should he have dropped in favor of Jallow?

Wing Smith who was a 4*?

Big Moore who had a similar ranking to Jallow (3*/4* depending on site) but is 6'10"?

The obvious choice (not using hindsight) would be fellow guard Durham who was lower ranked. Of course, Durham has put up much better numbers at IU than Jallow has at OSU. So in hindsight, this has worked out better for IU so far. Not as drastic of a difference as Henry/Anderson but still a pretty big difference for the level of contribution between the two of them through 2 years.

I guess he could've taken him instead of recruiting Thompson who was a higher ranked 4*. But this would again be hindsight.

I would also point out that he likely won't start. Returning guards Muhammad and Washington had better stats. Muhammad played many more minutes than either and Washington more than doubled Jallow's ppg in 2mpg more. Freshman DJ Carton would also likely start over him (Jallow isn't a PG anyways). There are forwards that would start ahead of him too if you want to place him as a third guard/small forward starter. I just don't see him starting. Edit: I see he has already started 23 games in his career (10 FR/13 SO). Yet averaged only 15mpg last season. I still don't see him being a full time starter unless one of the other players is just better off the bench.

Only hindsight would say to take him instead of Moore but even then he hasn't put up great numbers at OSU in his first 2 seasons.

Just saying it was a miss. Yes hindsight is 20/20 but coaches are paid to predict these things. Musa is a great defender that is why I think he will crack the starting rotation, coupled with the fact you mentioned he has already started 23 games. We can both agree it is very likely he starts or is a 6th 7th man most of the year right?

Just saying it was a miss. Yes hindsight is 20/20 but coaches are paid to predict these things. Musa is a great defender that is why I think he will crack the starting rotation, coupled with the fact you mentioned he has already started 23 games. We can both agree it is very likely he starts or is a 6th 7th man most of the year right?
Yes, he'll definitely see PT. I would guess with 2 guard graduations and being an upperclassman he'll get up around 20mpg and be part of the rotation. At this point I'd say he's only a miss because he is a guard and IU is short on those this season. I think IU can be a decent defensive team this year but will offensively challenged. I don't see how Jallow would help that shortcoming.

How does spending $35k on entertainment effect your money?

As for your last point: If its something nagging, I'd rather have them healthier before the first REAL game than this scrimmage. Get the young guys time and let those two rest. The amount of 3's taken probably has a bit to do with more size on the inside (for IU). Better defense leads to worse shots, and IU shouldn't need to double very many guys on the inside this year. All that said, it was a scrimmage and should be treated as such. I'm sure both teams had things they wanted to try.

Personally, I'd say we would benefit more, in the exhibition, from the young guys playing more. I would love to see them play a little (especially Rob), but we don't need them until games start to count (and don't know what they are doing in practice).

We committed 16 turnovers without our starting back court. Franklin was our only guard in the game the final 9 minutes and we were tied with about a minute to go. I would be interested if our turnovers came in that last 9 minutes with one guard. Archie has had a chance to see Franklin play against a good player in Howard. I'm going to assume Franklin himself building confidence with his coach

Some were critical of Thompson not scoring. He had 7 rebounds and nothing in the box score tells how well he defended or who he defended. I've thought he might be a Juwan Morgan player that does a lot of little things early and will score when he needs to be a scorer.

It was the perfect opportunity for Damezi to show up with RP and Green not playing. Nothing stands out to me in the box score that he has made any progress on the offensive end. He was 0-4 from the free throw line. Those lamenting our FT% should take his numbers out of the stats and recalculate. Damezi my be our lone scholarship player on the end of the bench next to the walk on players.

The low minutes for Davis while Brunk scored 11 points and had 7 rebounds suggests Joey will be the starter early in the season. Davis is either hurt, or Archie is limiting his minutes. The other possibility is Davis isn't as good as he needs to be or not working hard enough and Joey earned the spot. Either way, Joey is my pick to start.

It is concerning that RP and Green has missed HH and this scrimmage. First it was called soreness and now called minor injuries. My guess is they have some nagging issue that they could probably play through but Archie won't risk making it worse. My concern will ratchet up if they don't play in our exhibition. The team needs time to play together. Missing the exhibition.would be a bad sign and hurt our team development.

The positive is our 3 new players scored over half our points with Green and RP not playing. Granted there is only one data point, but Franklin does seem to be able to play and probably learned the most about himself.

Reactions: Al Bino
Let's go back farther! Another huge miss was Steph Curry! Damn Mike Davis for not going harder after the kid! Seriously? What happens if we wait on Henry, and he still goes elsewhere (the Davis/Crean recruiting strategy)? One in the had is better than 2 in the bush, and evaluating high school kids is tougher than you seem to think. As to your 35k argument, what is your point? Someone "less successful" (whatever you mean by that) would pay a larger percentage of their income to get tickets. So, wouldn't your argument be better if you were spending a larger percentage of your income (or do you only make 35k? I guess that is up for interpretation?)? Either way, no fan wants to watch their team lose regardless of money spent, but your arguments just don't line up with logical thinking. Again, lots of teams miss or make mistakes in recruiting. If you are "more successful" the amount of money you spend on tickets shouldn't matter as much. Oh, and our current coaching staff wasn't here to recruit Musa. Move on...

None. We were the best school recruiting him. Clemson and Marquette were never his 1st option. Missing Henry was on us, he would have came here if Damezi offer was never given. Damezi committed first so Henry was out.

You aren't adult enough to separate two separate threads? Maybe go outside and take a few deep breaths, then come back later, after calming down, to post? Mr. 35k not enough of an adult to have developed coping skills?

Just when I read ignorant posts, like the one I just replied to you on in another thread.

What a total tool! You're totally right though. How much you get paid is in direct correlation with how passionate you are about your work and life! What a total tool! Just curious, how many wins do you expect your 35k (in tickets, not donations) to buy? That isn't much when it comes to an AD budget, Mr 35k....

Last edited:
What a total tool! You're totally right though. How much you get paid is in direct correlation with how passionate you are about your work and life! What a total tool! Just curious, how many wins do you expect your 35k (in tickets, not donations) to buy? That isn't much when it comes to an AD budget, Mr 35k....

Did you get it all out princess? Or should I say, Tim the tool man?

How does spending $35k on entertainment effect your money?

I buy and resell tickets as a side source of income. I should have been more clear. How IU does directly correlates to the amount of money I make or lose.

When determining the prices I buy and sell for said tickets I have to evaluate and project how good IU will be and how much people will be willing to pay.

For example last year I sold most all my tickets before Xmas and I did very well, if I would have waited till closer to the events it would have cost me probably 10k. Projecting how good we will be is a matter of thousands of dollars in one direction or the other.

This year I am going to wait on a lot because the market is as soft now as it has ever been in the history of IU. I project we will win some games and the market will rise quite a bit.

Yes, he'll definitely see PT. I would guess with 2 guard graduations and being an upperclassman he'll get up around 20mpg and be part of the rotation. At this point I'd say he's only a miss because he is a guard and IU is short on those this season. I think IU can be a decent defensive team this year but will offensively challenged. I don't see how Jallow would help that shortcoming.

I just get irked when players that go to South or North go elsewhere and are good players. I just know we were not pursuing Musa hard at all, I will admit I have no idea if he had a big interest in IU. He could have wanted to get out of Btown.

I buy and resell tickets as a side source of income. I should have been more clear. How IU does directly correlates to the amount of money I make or lose.

When determining the prices I buy and sell for said tickets I have to evaluate and project how good IU will be and how much people will be willing to pay.

For example last year I sold most all my tickets before Xmas and I did very well, if I would have waited till closer to the events it would have cost me probably 10k. Projecting how good we will be is a matter of thousands of dollars in one direction or the other.

This year I am going to wait on a lot because the market is as soft now as it has ever been in the history of IU. I project we will win some games and the market will rise quite a bit.
That sounds more like gambling than an income source. You are betting against the ticket office. It also doesn’t weigh your opinion of the program more than any other fan.

That sounds more like gambling than an income source. You are betting against the ticket office. It also doesn’t weigh your opinion of the program more than any other fan.

Being a ticket broker is the same as a Wall Street trader. In a sense, yes, gambling for sure.

I don't think my opinion of the program is worth more than any other alum or season ticket holder. It weighs the same as anyone gambling 35k a year on IU by your example.

The ticket office never changes their price. #1 or #352 in the nation tickets will cost the same. However, I have to buy tickets off people that get season tickets, so the price they charge fluctuates from year to year depending on projections. When we lost to Syracuse people knew we were going to be good that year so they would want triple for the season tickets then they want this year. Buyers market this year.

I have never lost money in the 10 years I have been doing it, and get 1099 from stub hub so I literally can say it is a source of income.

So you are the reason I went from my yearly row 10 section 2 seats from normal donations and personal use and attendance to row 39. I quit buying the mini season package and instead of attending many games, I go to select games or use tickets friends can't use that are usually around row 25 (a member and officer in the I Association).

You suck, but I suppose making money makes the criticism roll of your back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT