ADVERTISEMENT

Maduro's hours are numbered per Columbian President

I think his team has a calculation to make. At some point, they must respond with violence. (ideally tomorrow)

The calculation is as follows...

If he simply sits back and allows the protests to gain momentum then eventually he is finished. You can't let the snowball reach the apex. There is some tipping point. At some point he must respond with force.

If he chooses to respond with force, how do the protesters react? After 20 are shot dead, do they return to their homes, or do they resort to violence? (my guess is they return home) Will troops carry out orders to shoot?

If he responds with force, what are the odds that the US responds with force and physically removes him from power?

Unknown unknowns.

What does that mean? And what happens after Maduro? Do they think him and his cronies (including military leadership) will just give up their power?

I'm not sure. Don't have any connections on that side of the world. My neighbor is from there but he's always traveling for work. I'll try and get his insights when I see him next

I think his team has a calculation to make. At some point, they must respond with violence. (ideally tomorrow)

The calculation is as follows...

If he simply sits back and allows the protests to gain momentum then eventually he is finished. You can't let the snowball reach the apex. There is some tipping point. At some point he must respond with force.

If he chooses to respond with force, how do the protesters react? After 20 are shot dead, do they return to their homes, or do they resort to violence? (my guess is they return home) Will troops carry out orders to shoot?

If he responds with force, what are the odds that the US responds with force and physically removes him from power?

Unknown unknowns.
You are correct, Venezuela is definitely at a tipping point

I think Venezuela is extremely divided. The media narrative is that Venezuelans hate Maduro... If you interview someone in Doral, sure. The streets of Caracas are probably much more evenly divided. Talk to two Venezuelans and receive diametrically opposed opinions. It's natural that in a patronage system, many people have something to lose if the party in power is eliminated.

Do bear in mind that something like 3 million people have fled the country in the past two years... they probably weren't Maduro supporters...

Seems like there is possibly a falling out amongst the biggest Chavistas at this point.....

https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-venezuela-hugo-chavez-opposition-20190211-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT