ADVERTISEMENT

Love for Peyton Ramsey

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Hoosier Football Blog | October 12, 2019

Redshirt Freshman Quarterback Michael Penix is garnering a lot of attention these days, and rightly so. The young man from Florida has played very well and Indiana football fans are awfully excited about what the future holds for IUFB.

I'm not trying to argue that Ramsey should be the starting QB but I did want to take a few moments to give some love and respect to a guy who is as far as I am concerned the quintessential Indiana Hoosier.
  • His 32 completions vs Michigan St on 9/22/18 is tied for 10th most all-time in school history
  • He has 4,762 career passing yards, which ranks 9th in school history
  • 429 career completions is 6th amongst IU QBs
  • 2,875 passing yards in 2018 is 6th most ever at IU
  • Ramsey had 36 completions vs. Purdue on 11/24/18, 4th in school history
  • Peyton's 295 completions in 2018 is 2nd ever
  • His .654 completion percentage in 2017 is the 2nd best mark ever
  • His .660 completion percentage in 2018 is 1st all-time
  • His .667 career completion percentage is by far the best all-time at IU. (Ben Chappell's .611 career mark is 2nd.)
Actually Michael Penix had 33 completions vs. MSU two weeks ago, which is tied for 7th all-time. Penix's career completion percentage is actually even higher than Peyton's (.676) but the sample size is still too small to pencil him in just yet (in my opinion).

Again, not trying to turn this into a Ramsey vs. Penix thing, the point is to give Ramsey some respect and love for all that he has done for this program. It's nice to have such a good 'back-up' on deck if he is needed.

Redshirt Freshman Quarterback Michael Penix is garnering a lot of attention these days, and rightly so. The young man from Florida has played very well and Indiana football fans are awfully excited about what the future holds for IUFB.

I'm not trying to argue that Ramsey should be the starting QB but I did want to take a few moments to give some love and respect to a guy who is as far as I am concerned the quintessential Indiana Hoosier.
  • His 32 completions vs Michigan St on 9/22/18 is tied for 10th most all-time in school history
  • His .667 career completion percentage is by far the best all-time at IU. (Ben Chappell's .611 career mark is 2nd.)
Actually Michael Penix had 33 completions vs. MSU two weeks ago, which is tied for 7th all-time. Penix's career completion percentage is actually even higher than Peyton's (.676) but the sample size is still too small to pencil him in just yet (in my opinion).

Again, not trying to turn this into a Ramsey vs. Penix thing, the point is to give Ramsey some respect and love for all that he has done for this program. It's nice to have such a good 'back-up' on deck if he is needed.

Ramsey is a starter in a lot of programs. A real luxury for this football team to have him helmet-on and ready to go...

Imo...we will not keep all three after this season...whatever is best for the young men...

Reactions: CC Mac

Thanks for letting us re-visit this painful issue on a crisp, Fall game day.

Fine young man and a solid dependable if not electric QB. Would start in a lot of places including some BIG programs.
He would be a step up at Wisconsin. Love the kid and and all the respect in the world for him. He could have left in the summer but chose to comeback and fight to try to hold on to the starting job even though he had to know Penix was the heir apparent. He came in and played well against OSU. Still there and has not left yet. Rare quality for today.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but there are a couple of things that need to be considered. 1. If you look at many of the Drives Ramsey has led, you will probably see a lot of 12-15 play scoring Drives. The good news is that takes time off the clock and shortens the game. The bad news is that the more plays you are required to run the greater the chance The Offense will make a mistake to stall or end a drive (penalty, fumble, interception, dropped pass). From what I see so far Penix throws the ball more effectively down field, and is more likely to pick up yardage to overcome the mistakes that can stall drives, and is more likely to pick up chunk plays that reduce the number of plays required to complete a drive.

2. The difference in the arm strength between the two was very apparent to me yesterday, When Ramsey threw his first pass to the outside for about 8 yards, it looked like someone threw a change up or hanging curve ball compared to the velocity Penix seems to have on similar throws. In fact, I was afraid the ball was hanging in the air so long that Rutgers would intercept it.

Imo...we will not keep all three after this season...whatever is best for the young men...
True,and since Tuttle has already transferred once I suspect Ramsey will transfer to a D2 school and play next year.

True,and since Tuttle has already transferred once I suspect Ramsey will transfer to a D2 school and play next year.
Number one of hat makes you think he I’ll not remain at number 2 and stay and continue to learn under an up and coming offensive coordinator? If he were to transfer I would do like Bryan Schottenheimer and transfer somewhere I could continue to learn. Schottenheimer left K State to go to Florida to learn offense from Spurrier.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yup...a great young man and capable back-up. His reads and arm strength relegate him to MAC-level talent...which is backed up by his record against B10 teams.

Yup...a great young man and capable back-up. His reads and arm strength relegate him to MAC-level talent...which is backed up by his record against B10 teams.
I agree on arm strength disagree on reads and even maybe record. I don’t know how you can hold one man accountable for wins and losses of a whole team. As far as read I totally disagree there is a reason he started last year. He gets thru his progression very quickly and gets balls out very it is too bad he does not have same arm talent as Penix. Many of the quick completions Penix had against MSU were called screens not reads. Stuff that Ramsey got bashed for in his starts.

I would bet my house that you never played quarterback or coached football as that statement reflects a lot of ignorance.

PR's arm strength is for certain a major limitation. Just like a lot of guys just can't physically throw a baseball 90+ mph. His reads are better than most and that is why he rarely tries to make throws he knows can't be completed. He has an outstanding sense of when to pull the ball on the RPO and when to take off and make a play with his legs.

As for his record vs. B1G teams, that has a whole lot to do with the other 21 guys on the field. He is clearly not as capable as Penix, which is why he is the backup. I'm guessing that he understands that as well as anyone. There are a lot of P5 programs that would like to have him as a starter. If he decides to transfer (and I don't have a clue if that is anything he is even considering), he'll have plenty of suitors.

Buck Suhr made the comment late in the game Saturday that if he had Penix's arm (which Buck immediately acknowledged he didn't have) he might be an All-American. The rest of his game is pretty damn good.The backhanded swipe about "MAC talent" is an uncalled for cheap shot at a kid who plays his ass off.

Of course I realize I am responding to either a troll or a total dipshit - or both.

I would bet my house that you never played quarterback or coached football as that statement reflects a lot of ignorance.

PR's arm strength is for certain a major limitation. Just like a lot of guys just can't physically throw a baseball 90+ mph. His reads are better than most and that is why he rarely tries to make throws he knows can't be completed. He has an outstanding sense of when to pull the ball on the RPO and when to take off and make a play with his legs.

As for his record vs. B1G teams, that has a whole lot to do with the other 21 guys on the field. He is clearly not as capable as Penix, which is why he is the backup. I'm guessing that he understands that as well as anyone. There are a lot of P5 programs that would like to have him as a starter. If he decides to transfer (and I don't have a clue if that is anything he is even considering), he'll have plenty of suitors.

Buck Suhr made the comment late in the game Saturday that if he had Penix's arm (which Buck immediately acknowledged he didn't have) he might be an All-American. The rest of his game is pretty damn good.
Well said old cougar!!

He would be a step up at Wisconsin. Love the kid and and all the respect in the world for him. He could have left in the summer but chose to comeback and fight to try to hold on to the starting job even though he had to know Penix was the heir apparent. He came in and played well against OSU. Still there and has not left yet. Rare quality for today.
I like Ramsey but I do not agree that he would be a step up at Wisconsin. The Coan kid is completing 76% of his passes and has an 8-1 td-int ratio and a QBs rating of 163.9. He is also 6-3” and 220. I know that running Wisconsin vs IU’s team is two different things but if you went to the Wisconsin board and asked them if they would like to trade Coan for the IU backup I am pretty sure what their answer would be. Ramsey could start at Rutgers and maybe at Illinois or northwestern. I think that the Michigan transfer has been a big disappointment at Illinois and same goes for the kid who transferred to northwestern. I haven’t watched much of northwestern and do not know what their problems are but some Cat fans are unhappy with the qb.

I like Ramsey but I do not agree that he would be a step up at Wisconsin. The Coan kid is completing 76% of his passes and has an 8-1 td-int ratio and a QBs rating of 163.9. He is also 6-3” and 220. I know that running Wisconsin vs IU’s team is two different things but if you went to the Wisconsin board and asked them if they would like to trade Coan for the IU backup I am pretty sure what their answer would be. Ramsey could start at Rutgers and maybe at Illinois or northwestern. I think that the Michigan transfer has been a big disappointment at Illinois and same goes for the kid who transferred to northwestern. I haven’t watched much of northwestern and do not know what their problems are but some Cat fans are unhappy with the qb.
The kid at at Wisconsin is very much like Ramsey. The difference is he does not have to win games like the quarterback at IU does. He was pretty unspectacular vs Northwestern. Of course fans love the guy while he is winning. Let’s see what happens I’m the BIG Chamionship game when he is going to have to make plays. Don’t get me wrong he is fine right now. We will see.

Buck Suhr made the comment late in the game Saturday that if he had Penix's arm (which Buck immediately acknowledged he didn't have) he might be an All-American. The rest of his game is pretty damn good.The backhanded swipe about "MAC talent" is an uncalled for cheap shot at a kid who plays his ass off.

Of course I realize I am responding to either a troll or a total dipshit - or both.

If I had been 7’2” rather than 5’11” I would’ve been an outstanding basketball player. And if I could’ve thrown a baseball 98 miles an hour I would’ve been one hell of a pitcher.

If I had been 7’2” rather than 5’11” I would’ve been an outstanding basketball player. And if I could’ve thrown a baseball 98 miles an hour I would’ve been one hell of a pitcher.
And if my Aunt had a pair of balls, she would have been my Uncle.

This reads like an obituary. He has played two of the six games this year. Penix hasn’t inspired confidence in his health. Ramsey is one snap away from having the weight of this season on his pads, and he knows that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT