ADVERTISEMENT

Losses more important Than Good Wins

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
The committee person just said that losses meant more than good wins. Drop Arkansas and pick up a team we pay to come in to SSAH to lose, Go back to 18 conference games and schedule 2 more sure wins. Screw the NCAA. You can't trust them. And why not lobby to get an IU official in the selection committee? Let's go back to winning a minimum 20 games and dare the NCAA to not pick a B1G team

We needed more lopsided wins and fewer losses. We did what the committee said they wanted and teams with poor schedules were given credit for beating crappy teams while playing few good teams.

Mid-majors should not be given special consideration over teams that play in a power 5 conference unless they earn it with quality wins. If a conference goes a period of time without an NCAA win, they should not get an automatic bid. I want the top 68 teams in the tournament. 17 wins wasn't enough this year, but there are many teams we could beat in this tournament. How many tournament teams could have beat the B1G champion not only once, but twice?

News flash - we didn’t deserve to get in. Don’t blame the tournament, blame your administration.

They got it right....and they looked at who took advantage of the multiple opportunities to get wins needed. We screwed that part up big time. You don’t lose nearly every game over a 4 week period and expect to get in, I don’t care what conference you play in. You cannot lose to Rutgers and Northwestern like we did and say we deserve it.

Without all the injuries..Especially to Hunter..
We're in safely.
Hunter wasn't going to average 14..
But 8 -10 Yes. He could have been our third leading scorer ..

We were lucky to have it come down to the final game with Ohio State. This team would have gotten killed by a 5 seed at a neutral site. Other than the miraculous MSU win we were terrible on the road. And not too great at home.

I don't have any complaints about IU not getting in but 3 number ones from one conference is a joke. The B1G was the toughest conference top to bottom by everyone's reckoning and yet could not get a 1. The B1G conference winner gets the overall number 1 seed in their bracket? This is turning more into a reality show than an athletic competition.

Reactions: minneman
This ^^^^ is spot on. IU had opportunities to win and get in; they didn't take advantage. However, I do not see how the best conference top to bottom is punished for beating up on each other all season long. Awarding three #1 seeds to teams in the same conference is wrong.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don't have any complaints about IU not getting in but 3 number ones from one conference is a joke. The B1G was the toughest conference top to bottom by everyone's reckoning and yet could not get a 1. The B1G conference winner gets the overall number 1 seed in their bracket? This is turning more into a reality show than an athletic competition.
The B1G was balanced but not strong at the top - hard to say we were the best conference since their is no accurate way to determine that. Our #1 seed lost to a team that didn't make the tournament twice - not a resume builder.

My only complaint is that you don't say is that you don't say you're going to follow a certain set of rules and then throw them out. The quadrant rating is crap. IU had a rating better than both Minnesota and Ohio State - yes we lost to them and that's a bad optic but don't put out this quality wins crap out and then don't abide by it.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

Anything we could do to cost the NCAA $$, I'm in favor of doing.

The conference might have cost UM or MSU a #1 seed with playing 20 conference games. It might not have changed the number of wins or losses, but it might have. We asked our schools to play 2 more games against tough competition. The NCAA didn't care. If the 20 game schedule continues, a #1 seed and other seeds for the B1G will be more difficult.

We got what we deserved, but the conference needs to evaluate what the 20 game season did for their teams. I don't believe it helper anyone and that especially includes IU.

Reactions: BB Hoosier
The committee person just said that losses meant more than good wins. Drop Arkansas and pick up a team we pay to come in to SSAH to lose, Go back to 18 conference games and schedule 2 more sure wins. Screw the NCAA. You can't trust them. And why not lobby to get an IU official in the selection committee? Let's go back to winning a minimum 20 games and dare the NCAA to not pick a B1G team

We needed more lopsided wins and fewer losses. We did what the committee said they wanted and teams with poor schedules were given credit for beating crappy teams while playing few good teams.

Mid-majors should not be given special consideration over teams that play in a power 5 conference unless they earn it with quality wins. If a conference goes a period of time without an NCAA win, they should not get an automatic bid. I want the top 68 teams in the tournament. 17 wins wasn't enough this year, but there are many teams we could beat in this tournament. How many tournament teams could have beat the B1G champion not only once, but twice?
The problem wasn’t really out of conference record. Unless you are pushing to be able to choose your conference schedule?

At the end of the day, IU was just 2 games over .500 overall and 8-13 during conference games.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
Belmont had two TWO quad 1 wins and got an at large. BS.
To say quality of wins and what we did with our opportunities, we did better than others.

We didn’t make the dance cause we are too young. Love, CJ Jackson Ohio States only senior!
Here let me correct your statement.
Love, CJ (The Hoosier Killer) Jackson, Ohio States only other senior. He killed us every time we played them.
Keyshawn Woods was a grad 5th year senior also iirc.

Without all the injuries..Especially to Hunter..
We're in safely.
Hunter wasn't going to average 14..
But 8 -10 Yes. He could have been our third leading scorer ..

We know that for sure about Hunter?

There were a lot of bold guarantees and statements this year about players doing this or that and this is all done without any one of them playing a minute on the court yet.

We know that for sure about Hunter?

There were a lot of bold guarantees and statements this year about players doing this or that and this is all done without any one of them playing a minute on the court yet.
If only we’d had Race Thompson all year. See they can make a defense like that cause you can’t prove them wrong. Here’s another. “Archie will be better than Holtmann” I don’t know why I just know. Here’s another, Rob Phinisees injury cost us the tournament, really.

Reactions: Upset Alert
IU finished strong to make it to the NIT. Nobody takes a team that loses 11 of 12.

So, if I understand this correctly, even beating OSU on Thursday would not have gotten us in then. It would have probably knocked OSU out, but would not have gotten us in.

We got what we deserved, but the conference needs to evaluate what the 20 game season did for their teams. I don't believe it helper anyone and that especially includes IU.
It helped get 8 teams in compared to 4 from last season. If we aren't one of those 8 teams, then there's no room to have a beef with how it shook out.

We were lucky to have it come down to the final game with Ohio State. This team would have gotten killed by a 5 seed at a neutral site. Other than the miraculous MSU win we were terrible on the road. And not too great at home.
We should change our name to the Indiana possums. We play dead at home and get killed on the Road.

Congratulations to the Selection Committee for the job they did. Indiana flat out lost too many games they should have won, especially on home court. One more win and maybe we can argue. Maybe they will learn not to turn the ball over, and make sure these kids can shoot free throws. Congratz to teams like Belmont for being rewarded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT