ADVERTISEMENT

Losing to Purdue is Unacceptable

giphy.gif

Reactions: snarlcakes
Hey trolls. Congrats on your national championship. Now get back to the fryer.

To the original poster- I don't deny you your vitriol for our rival, however, I'd say that the more glaring comparison is that IU is losing to PU, ND, and Butler in basketball status. A competitive loss is going to happen in a healthy rivalry. But losing the state to the other major basketball powers cannot happen.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Crean needs to resign.
Well we're going to have a coaching change, but saying "losing to Purdue is unacceptable" is stupid. Who in the hell are we going to hire that will never lose to them? Didn't Bob Knight have pretty much a .500 record against them?

Crean's issues go much deeper than that.

I think Crean deserves to be back. Hell, you're one year removed from a Big 10 championship, your team was decimated with injuries to key players, you beat UNC and Kansas, etc. Those aren't excuses, they're just facts and have to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
I really thought the margin would be greater. It's the turnovers killing your season. There is talent there. I know Priller fouled out quickly but he played his butt off. Dakich said what is so obvious. Why isn't Bryant on the block always. He's good. The pace needs to be slower because IU's offense can't handle it. They turn it over so much. I hope Crean gets to stay another season but I can see a pretty good argument to the contrary. I'll be sorry to see it end.

I think Crean deserves to be back. Hell, you're one year removed from a Big 10 championship, your team was decimated with injuries to key players, you beat UNC and Kansas, etc. Those aren't excuses, they're just facts and have to be taken into consideration.
How are we decimated with injuries because we only have two missing. Also our slide started before the injury to OG.

No it's not... this is an exceptional Purdue team... I don't mind losing to them at all... at least they didn't win by 30 like a few years back... IU needs Purdue to be a good team... the B1G needs Purdue to be a good team... and when they finally get one... people are disappointed that they beat IU... understandable... acceptable?...absolutely ... be a gracious loser as well as a humble winner... Nice game Purdue... we'll try and get you next season... until then... Good luck with the rest of your season.... and Congrats on a B1G Championship...

How are we decimated with injuries because we only have two missing. Also our slide started before the injury to OG.
Not saying that the injuries are the reason for the slide. It is reasonable to say that it has hurt Iu this season. OG is a monster and Hartman seemed like a guy who could provide much needed leadership. I think those are huge factors to the lack of success of this season.

Not saying that the injuries are the reason for the slide. It is reasonable to say that it has hurt Iu this season. OG is a monster and Hartman seemed like a guy who could provide much needed leadership. I think those are huge factors to the lack of success of this season.
We beat both KU and UNC without Hartman so I would not say the total collapse can be blamed on that.

No, those are excuses, not factors. Without Hartman and OG this team might not have challenged for the B1G championship and certainly would have struggled against some of the best teams. But there is no reason for a team with IU's level of talent to be below .500, let alone be in 12th place.

This team plays horrible fundamental defense. It is apparent that either no one on this coaching staff understands defensive concepts or that no one can effectively teach them. But you can't teach what you don't know and aren't willing to invest in learning. We play offense like our asses are on fire and our hair is about to catch. Excessive turnovers are the result of playing offense at a breakneck pace with no thought as to the score and clock situation. That problem is solvable in practice if you really want to solve it. On the other hand, if you don't understand and can't teach half-court offense, what else are you going to do.

Unfortunately these things have been consistent problems over the past nine years. Some years we have had the physical talent and the skill to overcome them and be successful playing at warp speed. When that level of talent isn't present, we struggle and look like hell trying to continue doing what we always do.

Plain and simple, it's bad basketball and bad coaching. There are maybe five teams in the country that can be consistent national powerhouses playing this style of basketball, because they have deep talent. We have been one of those five teams about two of the last nine years, yet we play as if we are one of those teams every year. Even those teams understand how to defend (with the exception of UNC who is usually as bad defensively as we are) and can score in a half-court set when the game is slowed down and each possession is critical.

There is nothing to suggest that Tom Crean is willing or able to coach and play any other way. So when we do not have deep elite talent (which is most years), or when we have injuries to one or two key players, we are going to have years like this. For me, that happens far too frequently. I cannot watch this ugly, sloppy, unsuccessful mess any longer.

Well we're going to have a coaching change, but saying "losing to Purdue is unacceptable" is stupid. Who in the hell are we going to hire that will never lose to them? Didn't Bob Knight have pretty much a .500 record against them?

Crean's issues go much deeper than that.
Mike Davis had a good record against PU. This does mean he is a great coach,but it sure is always fun when we beat them boilers.

Amazing what crappy coaching can do to an injured player's legend. I like OG and recognize his talent and potential, but, wow I didn't realize he was the second coming of Jordan.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I really thought the margin would be greater. It's the turnovers killing your season. There is talent there. I know Priller fouled out quickly but he played his butt off. Dakich said what is so obvious. Why isn't Bryant on the block always. He's good. The pace needs to be slower because IU's offense can't handle it. They turn it over so much. I hope Crean gets to stay another season but I can see a pretty good argument to the contrary. I'll be sorry to see it end.

TB is not on the block because TC chooses to use him as a taller Matt Roth. IU won the NW game simply because TB chose to ignore TC at the end of the game. JBJ and TB worked a high low as TC waived them off and tried to get a time out. The kids won't that game by flipping Crean off.

Mike Davis had a good record against PU. This does mean he is a great coach,but it sure is always fun when we beat them boilers.

Have you ever looked at Purdue's records during those season that Davis was coaching IU? They only had two winning seasons, and both of those still had 11+ losses.

Have you ever looked at Purdue's records during those season that Davis was coaching IU? They only had two winning seasons, and both of those still had 11+ losses.

Yeah those were some pretty bad years for us during the twilight of Keady's time at Purdue.

Pretty sweet to clinch the B1G title on senior night against IU. Mackey is an awesome atmosphere.

Awesome if vulgar, embittered, IU obsessed trolls is your thing. Looked as if I was right about a small IU crowd last night but I was not there so could not see the upper rows, but definitely less red int the lower bowl than usual.

Yeah those were some pretty bad years for us during the twilight of Keady's time at Purdue.
Awesome if vulgar, embittered, IU obsessed trolls is your thing. Looked as if I was right about a small IU crowd last night but I was not there so could not see the upper rows, but definitely less red int the lower bowl than usual.

The sexual tension between you two is palpable.

Crean is gone. 4 tournaments in 9 years. We aren't Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT