ADVERTISEMENT

Looks Like 4 or 5 Losses Wins the Sissy Division

I'll admit I am rooting for Purdue to win the West-only so I can watch them get beaten down by OSU on national TV. That's the only time I ever root for OSU.
Last 10 games against OSU: Purdue 4-6
IU 0-10

Last victory over OSU: Purdue 2018
IU 1988

It looks like Purdue plays tough against Ohio State. I may not like Purdue but, I respect them for not laying- down against the Buckeyes.

Last edited:
Pac12 eliminated divisions for the 2022 season. No idea why the BIG is waiting.
Rematches especially in back to back weeks is boring and just hurts the conference chances of getting more playoff teams / NY 6 games which means more $$$

Last 10 years against OSU: Purdue 4-6
IU 0-10

Last victory over OSU: Purdue 2018
IU 1988

It looks like Purdue plays tough against Ohio State. I may not like Purdue but, I respect them for not laying- down against the Buckeyes.
PU has played them every year the past 10 years?

Oh what it would be like to have just 4-5 losses on the season.
IU simply doesn’t want to be outdone though…..it shoots for 9-10 losses on the year to really distinguish itself.

They have played UM one time in the past 10 years!
Scheduling going forward is going to be "interesting" to say the least.

1. Each week, you have to schedule a minimum of 1-2 marquee matchups to draw the eyeballs to pay for all that media money.
2. You have to schedule enough "soft" opponents (or at least perceived to be soft) to make sure you have at least 1, now preferably 2 teams (optimally 3) involved in the conversation for the championship series.
3. You have to schedule certain rivalry games to keep the fans happy.
4. You have to schedule based on location/travel, so you don't have the west coast teams tripping east on consecutive weekends, ditto for the east coast teams going the other way.
5. You still need to schedule 3 OC opponents and plan for one bye week to heal up the walking wounded.

No, the writer is inaccurate. Since 2000 Purdue and PSU both have 5 wins over the Buckeyes. They are tied for the most wins. UM has won 4.
Yes, it should have been for the last 10 games, not the last 10 years.

Since 2000, Purdue is 5-9 against OSU including one overtime loss. OSU currently has a one game winning streak against Purdue. the last Purdue win against OSU was in 2018.

In the same time period, IU is 0-14. OSU has currently has a 27 game winning streak against the Hoosiers. The last IU victory over OSU was in 1988.

You gotta give Purdue its due. A 5 year old could have seen a Purdue win over the Bucks. As for IU....no one under 34 years old has ever seen the Hoosiers beat the Bucks. In my life-time (74+ years), there have been 3 Indiana victories over OSU. 51, 87, 88.

• Angry
Reactions: Radio Zero
Yes, it should have been for the last 10 games, not the last 10 years.

Since 2000, Purdue is 5-9 against OSU including one overtime loss. OSU currently has a one game winning streak against Purdue. the last Purdue win against OSU was in 2018.

In my life-time (74+ years), there have been 3 Indiana victories over OSU. 51, 87, 88.
Don't forget about the 2 times they tied.... 1959 and 1990. LOL

Rematches especially in back to back weeks is boring and just hurts the conference chances of getting more playoff teams / NY 6 games which means more $$$
It would not be boring. Can you imagine the hype of a UM/OSU revenge game on neutral field? There would be so much talk about what worked for the winner and what the loser has to do different. It would be crazy!

It might hurt the conference but the playoff is expanding to 12 teams so that's solved.

If the other 12 teams don't like it, then prevent it - by beating UM or OSU once in a while.

Don't know what everyone expects whether it's an East ,West thing or a North, South setup. It'll basically be the same divisions. The SEC didn't budge when the West was tougher for a long time. Now the East might be tougher? Same could be said in Big10 country. Everything goes in cycles.

Don't know what everyone expects whether it's an East ,West thing or a North, South setup. It'll basically be the same divisions. The SEC didn't budge when the West was tougher for a long time. Now the East might be tougher? Same could be said in Big10 country. Everything goes in cycles.
I don't see a cycle that changes this. Nebraska was/is the key to elevating the West and they are unlikely to capture their 70s-90s success. Whereas OSU, UM and PSU will be consistently strong in the current era where the rich get richer.

Not sure how adding USC and UCLA changes things.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Since 2000
You really don't need to cherry pick the date to hide the 1990s where Purdue went 0-7 against OSU with an average score of 11.29 - 35.86. No rational IU fan is going to argue that they're more competitive against OSU than Purdue.

I would not have any confidence in Purdue beating OSU outside of Ross-Ade. Purdue has lost their last 10 trips to the horseshoe by an average score of 11.7 - 32.6. Their last win in the horseshoe was 1988. Indiana won in the horseshoe in 1987, and we're the worst program of all time.

If IU was in the B1G West they would likely not finish in the basement this year, unlike most years in either division. The participation award for being historically terrible appears to carry more weight with the top end teams in the East which is somewhat understandable.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
I don't see a cycle that changes this. Nebraska was/is the key to elevating the West and they are unlikely to capture their 70s-90s success. Whereas OSU, UM and PSU will be consistently strong in the current era where the rich get richer.

Not sure how adding USC and UCLA changes things.
You serious? Didn't Oregon win at OSU a few years ago? USC is a major player in this move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT