ADVERTISEMENT

Looking around the B10….

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
It’s been a strange start to the conference. In another post I asked a question: If PSU or NU are as tough as any conference game, does that mean the league is good, or bad?

I see PU up there in KenPom, and they are up there in the polls.

Beyond them?

If I’m right, the only other top 25 team is Wisconsin, and barely. Wisconsin is outside the top 50 in KenPom. OSU looks good on KenPom (12), but they were one of a trio that fell outside the top 25 this week.

Iowa started 0-3, came back to life and won improbably at RU. Were we a “get well game” for Iowa? I wouldn’t go that far. Seems that it’s a league (perhaps beyond just the league) of tremendous parity. I’m not so sure playing on the road versus at home even matters much. It’s all about the intangibles, what’s between the ears, etc.

So, IU fans don’t feel great. We’ve been accustomed to seeing Jekyll (or is it Hyde?) rear his ugly head. We’ve been programmed to see lackadaisical play emerge. 5 game losing streaks? Check. Terrible starts? Check. Finding a way to give away a game? Check-mate.

Until we play PU I see every game as a similar challenge. Road, home, it won’t matter. Each game is entirely winnable or loseable (is that a word?).

The injuries hurt. They need to grind until we get back to health. It’s a mental grind. With this much parity, that old saying of the mental is to the physical is ten to one (?) is even more pronounced.

Let’s see what we are made of. I’m not at all confident in our programs leadership and culture. I hope I’m proven wrong.

Reactions: BigMobe
It’s been a strange start to the conference. In another post I asked a question: If PSU or NU are as tough as any conference game, does that mean the league is good, or bad?

Beyond them?

If I’m right, the only other top 25 team is Wisconsin, and barely. Wisconsin is outside the top 50 in KenPom. OSU looks good on KenPom (12), but they were one of a trio that fell outside the top 25 this week.

Iowa started 0-3, came back to life and won improbably at RU. Were we a “get well game” for Iowa? I wouldn’t go that far. Seems that it’s a league (perhaps beyond just the league) of tremendous parity. I’m not so sure playing on the road versus at home even matters much. It’s all about the intangibles, what’s between the ears, etc.

So, IU fans don’t feel great. We’ve been accustomed to seeing Jekyll (or is it Hyde?) rear his ugly head. We’ve been programmed to see lackadaisical play emerge. 5 game losing streaks? Check. Terrible starts? Check. Finding a way to give away a game? Check-mate.

Until we play PU I see every game as a similar challenge. Road, home, it won’t matter. Each game is entirely winnable or loseable (is that a word?).

The injuries hurt. They need to grind until we get back to health. It’s a mental grind. With this much parity, that old saying of the mental is to the physical is ten to one (?) is even more pronounced.

Let’s see what we are made of. I’m not at all confident in our programs leadership and culture. I hope I’m proven wrong.
The biggest issue regarding the injuries is the talk is they may not be back until mid February. By that point there are only 5 big ten game left. We may be in a way too big of a hole by then to still finish 10-10 and make the tourney. We shall see I guess.

The biggest issue regarding the injuries is the talk is they may not be back until mid February. By that point there are only 5 big ten game left. We may be in a way too big of a hole by then to still finish 10-10 and make the tourney. We shall see I guess.
Have you heard a timeline for Race?

Beyond them?

if you looked at our schedule everything was set up to get off to a good start, that didn't happen, schedule is very backloaded. need to win 2 this week

IU has the toughest schedule in the B1G this year, and if they drop to Iowa, NU, and Penn State it’s not good. I realize I’m stating the obvious.

B1G is viewed as a week(er) league this year. They better get their shit together asap.

Sucks seeing them F around and back themselves into a corner EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Come on man!

I just heard Jim Coyle speculating like early to mid February and mid February for X. So mid February leaves about 5 games left in the season.
They might be back but their conditioning won’t be. Even if they can swim or use a stationary bike until then, it’s not the same as game situation running.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT