ADVERTISEMENT

Lock the Thread...

Poor energy.

I thought Goode and Ballo looked pretty good. Rice has a lot of potential, as has been expected.

Looks like they will have to figure out who they are and how to play, again.

Woodson has a ton of work to do and as usual, it looks like he took a long vacation in the off-season.
Everybody else in the country is a finished product. Damnit Woody cmon.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Only has 22yrs Professional experience..
And? All the NBA to college hires have been epic failures. Nothing to brag about. The truth is Woodson didn't earn it and there wasn't a top 50 program in the country who would've hired him when we did. Maybe a mid major would've given him a shot but that's it. It was another embarrassing hire by IU.

• Love
Reactions: GThomas and Lucy01
And? All the NBA to college hires have been epic failures. Nothing to brag about. The truth is Woodson didn't earn it and there wasn't a top 50 program in the country who would've hired him when we did. Maybe a mid major would've given him a shot but that's it. It was another embarrassing hire by IU.
Avery Johnson hold my beer..

Reactions: Lucy01
We have a group of posters in this thread that have decided that this team can’t shoot from footage of a 12 minute inter-squad scrimmage that is part of a fan hype event night…. You can’t make this shit up. 😂😂😂

Reactions: kkott and NOMORENIT
We have a group of posters in this thread that have decided that this team can’t shoot from footage of a 12 minute inter-squad scrimmage that is part of a fan hype event night…. You can’t make this shit up. 😂😂😂
I bet you were at Tom Allen cheerleader too!

I bet you were at Tom Allen cheerleader too!
Not a chance pal. Not a Woodson cheerleader either. I just don’t turn every single thing into a gripe like a spoiled teenager. Many of you have already shown your ass.. but jumping to conclusions about this team based on a 12 minute intersquad scrimmage is another piece of evidence that you know nothing about basketball.

Reactions: NOMORENIT
Not a chance pal. Not a Woodson cheerleader either. I just don’t turn every single thing into a gripe like a spoiled teenager. Many of you have already shown your ass.. but jumping to conclusions about this team based on a 12 minute intersquad scrimmage is another piece of evidence that you know nothing about basketball.
The real test will be their free throws.

We haven't had a team that could shoot since Crean was here. We couldn't throw it into the ocean last season and the only remotely decent shooter we brought in was Luke Goode. The concerns are very reasonable.

• Love
Reactions: jet812 and Lucy01
You do know who you
We haven't had a team that could shoot since Crean was here. We couldn't throw it into the ocean last season and the only remotely decent shooter we brought in was Luke Goode. The concerns are very reasonable.
You do know who you’re replying too don’t you.

No kidding. I’m just not ready to decide that this team can’t shoot yet based on one inter squad scrimmage. That just proves you’re a chronic complainer and have already made up your mind about the team before the season even started.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01 and asindc
Season hasn’t started and you’re chirping this shit. Stick up your backside
People like you are reason we haven’t had a successful Football Program! You are the leader of the wait till next year crowd.

Galloway and Newton were held out.

Reneau STILL has butterfingers when trying to catch a pass or loose ball! That’s a little concerning.

Tucker was off early on but ended up doing ok.

Cupps still needs to look for his shot more.

Ballo is just like Peyton Sparks but smoother and more in control.

Goode will be our best 3pt shooter hands down. Missed a couple wide open bunnies though fading away Kopp style.

MM still bricking many 3’s with an occasional make.

#12 looks like an ok 3rd string emergency C.

L3al still L3al, but will be hard for him to find consistent minutes.

Rice has good handles and Carlyle was ok.

All in all, not looking like a bad team, but like yall said, can’t take much out of this session.

“IT’S STILL FOOTBALL SEASON!!!”
Poor assessments all around ... Langdon Hatton (#12) will get some minutes... He will be part of the rotation

Just re watched the scrimmage. I am not going to jump to any conclusions over a 12 minute intra squad scrimmage.
There were some things I liked and some things that did not reach my expectation level.
My two favorite guys on the court were Ballo and Hatton.
The game vs UTenn will be very telling.
I really liked how quickly Ballo was able to catch at the 3 line, assess the defense, then make a quick adjustment to get himself a better shot and sink a nice 14 foot floater. Definitely looks like a guy who knows how to get the shots he's comfortable with, and for me, that is a huge part of what individual offense should look like. As opposed to settling for bad shots.

Hatton is kind of the guy we should expect. A real basketball player who is used to production, but doesn't have the athleticism or speed. But he plays hard and moves well without the ball. I think he will likely get a few minutes in the Michael Durr role.

I'm hoping Tucker is like a better bigger version of Bates- perhaps he scores in transition but mostly uses his length to shut down wing scorers. Defense, steals and transition buckets is all they need from him this year.

Carlile- Deifintely one of the guys who will need to figure out his role. I'm even more convinced now that he will come off the bench if Trey is healthy. But IU will need points from him. He has the talent to be a solid scorer. Just hope that happens this year.

I'm not so sure Goode shouldn't be considered for a starting role. It looks to me like (surprise) having a real shooter on the court opens up the offense more.

They may be better with Mgbako or Reneau and Goode, using Ballo in the middle. Trey and Rice up top.

Reactions: steelyvan
I watched it again... Just a scrimmage, need to remind myself of that... But man, that sure looked to be the same offense we've ran 80% of the time since Woody arrived. If that continues once the real games start, and we continue to be mediocre offensively...well, I'll either need to take a break from posting here...or more likely, I'll be very active puking out negative thoughts on Woody and his stubbornness.

It doesn't take long to implement a new offense...it isn't all that "hard"...and the evidence is now overwhelming that what he's been teaching at IU 1)doesn't lead to efficient offenses 2)Alienates most elite level perimeter recruits.

But, backing up...it was just a scrimmage. There were some positive elements, for sure. IU can be "solid", just like we were TJD's senior year, running this style. We just won't be consistently efficient enough to be elite.

My biggest take away from the scrimmage tape is Malike Reneau ever going to grow up and stop pouting? His body language was horrible. He stood over in the corner waiting for the ball on one possession and pouted. Another possession Tucker takes a fairly good look from 3 and he pouts underneath not getting back on D. He's a junior, played against TJD and Ware first two seasons, and now Balllo. When is he going to stop acting like a little kid and be a man that can play at the next level? Maybe he should go stand at the end of the bench and dance some more

I watched it again... Just a scrimmage, need to remind myself of that... But man, that sure looked to be the same offense we've ran 80% of the time since Woody arrived. If that continues once the real games start, and we continue to be mediocre offensively...well, I'll either need to take a break from posting here...or more likely, I'll be very active puking out negative thoughts on Woody and his stubbornness.

It doesn't take long to implement a new offense...it isn't all that "hard"...and the evidence is now overwhelming that what he's been teaching at IU 1)doesn't lead to efficient offenses 2)Alienates most elite level perimeter recruits.

But, backing up...it was just a scrimmage. There were some positive elements, for sure. IU can be "solid", just like we were TJD's senior year, running this style. We just won't be consistently efficient enough to be elite.
^^^this, just 12 minutes but they ran what they will run during the season. Still looks like no shooting and no movement away from the ball.

12 minutes? We’ve watched his teams the past 4 years..

Same exact Coach! Right.
Look man, I wanted Mike Woodson to get canned this offseason like everyone else, but he didn’t and here we are. We got a pretty solid portal haul with some talent. Let’s let these dudes play a few games before we decide the team sucks.. that’s all I’m saying… damn

Look man, I wanted Mike Woodson to get canned this offseason like everyone else, but he didn’t and here we are. We got a pretty solid portal haul with some talent. Let’s let these dudes play a few games before we decide the team sucks.. that’s all I’m saying… damn
I think the frustration is seeing this talent come in and Woody still doing what Woody does

Reactions: Lucy01
You think we ran a different offense than what we will run in the season?
I think it’s hard to tell how well this team will shoot based on that sample size and people that have already determined that this team can’t shoot we’re just waiting for the first opportunity to complain about this team. Their mind has been made up before the team has played a game. That’s just ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT