ADVERTISEMENT

Live Game Thread - Indiana vs Iowa

Not sarcastic at all.

TJD was leaving no matter what.

The fact is that Scott pulled the trigger a full year ahead of what anyone thought. The coaching trio comes in and immediately retains TJD for a season and then recruits very very well out of the gate.

If not for Scott's balls we would all be watching AM in his last season with no TJD, no shooters and no recruits coming. We would have won four games by now.

This year is a freebie.
I understand this point that you have made, but I wonder about a couple of things. It seems that you are on a first name basis with “Scott”, so maybe you have the insider view that I don’t….

I have seen this year referred to as a freebie, and also as a bridge year. That we are a year ahead, and that the future is bright with the recruiting successes.

but, looking at this season, and the players that were brought in, it seems that we are built to win now, with a (possible) rebuild next year. It’s cloudy, as I could see us losing potentially our top 6 minute guys, or many could opt to come back. Notable about that is some of these guys may have been brought in as one and done players.

this team has plenty of talent to make the tournament this season.

on the flip side, and I believe you have lobbied for it, some are calling for us to play the young guys more.

I guess my questions are: Are we staring at a big rebuild next year? And if so, are we making it more challenging by not getting the young guys more experience? Or, does it help the program more to put all of the eggs into this year’s basket as success this year will help the program more by building excitement with the fans, and possibly help in recruiting?

Last edited:
I understand this point that you have made, but I wonder about a couple of things. It seems that you are on a first name basis with “Scott”, so maybe you have the insider view that I don’t….

I have seen this year referred to as a freebie, and also as a bridge year. That we are a year ahead, and that the future is bright with the recruiting successes.

but, looking at this season, and the players that were brought in, it seems that we are built to win now, with a (possible) rebuild next year. It’s cloudy, as I could see us losing potentially outop 6 minute guys, or many could opt to come back. Notable about that is some of these guys may have been brought in as one and done players.

this team has plenty of talent to make
this season.

on the flip side, and I believe you have lobbied for it, some are calling for us to play the young guys more.

I guess my questions are: Are we staring at a big rebuild next year? And if so, are we making it more challenging by not getting the young guys more experience? Or, does it help the program more to put all of the eggs into this year’s basket as success this year will help the program more by building excitement with the fans, and possibly help in recruiting?
I don't think we have the guard play to win consistently at this point. He got what he could from the portal and it is better from a shooting standpoint than we had. MW is going to have to recruit guards which he has done pretty well so far.

While I know both Dolson and Glass casually, I do not have inside info.

The rebuild has started already. Trying to figure out which of the young guys can play over time and recruiting. This is a patchwork roster that will be very different next year. I certainly hope they make the tourney as that will help in multiple ways but if they don't we are still miles ahead of where we would have been had we all been booing AM right now with no TJD, no shooters, a 4-12 record and no recruits coming in.

I agree with your question about the younger guys not playing more minutes...vs Kopp, X or PS. MW has to answer that. NBA does a lot of development off season and maybe that is his mindset...problem with that as you know is limitations on time.

I don't think we have the guard play to win consistently at this point. He got what he could from the portal and it is better from a shooting standpoint than we had. MW is going to have to recruit guards which he has done pretty well so far.

While I know both Dolson and Glass casually, I do not have inside info.

The rebuild has started already. Trying to figure out which of the young guys can play over time and recruiting. This is a patchwork roster that will be very different next year. I certainly hope they make the tourney as that will help in multiple ways but if they don't we are still miles ahead of where we would have been had we all been booing AM right now with no TJD, no shooters, a 4-12 record and no recruits coming in.

I agree with your question about the younger guys not playing more minutes...vs Kopp, X or PS. MW has to answer that. NBA does a lot of development off season and maybe that is his mindset...problem with that as you know is limitations on time.
Agree with you. I think next years team looks very different but not convinced it is a full rebuild. Look at Iowa as an example. Last year their leading scorer was averaging 8 points a game. The Murray that went off on us wasn’t even in their rotation last year.

The continued development of Galloway, Bates, and Geronimo are huge for next year. We have another borderline top 25 recruit coming in who could make an impact and probably a couple transfers.

We are getting almost no offensive production from our wings this season. If that changes next year, and I expect that it will, I think we will be okay.

Reactions: ericrossiu
Here is what killed us last night. Same as it's been before.

Turnovers among other things. But pretty balanced elsewhere.
But we don't need balance..... we need to be leading in all the categories.

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
Agree with you. I think next years team looks very different but not convinced it is a full rebuild. Look at Iowa as an example. Last year their leading scorer was averaging 8 points a game. The Murray that went off on us wasn’t even in their rotation last year.

The continued development of Galloway, Bates, and Geronimo are huge for next year. We have another borderline top 25 recruit coming in who could make an impact and probably a couple transfers.

We are getting almost no offensive production from our wings this season. If that changes next year, and I expect that it will, I think we will be okay.
I agree with your comment above.... and my comment isn't a knock on your comment. I'm just adding my thoughts here.

It seems like that we're always talking the next recruiting class..... or some high fluting kid coming in.
That doesn't help us..... if we don't have solid journeymen seasoned players in the existing system.
Yes.... TJD is pretty solid. Race does a great job on most games... but some times flows in and out of the game.
(but Race has been pretty solid... I'm not trying to knock him).
But Phin hasn't stepped up solid in all games, XJ is.. WHERE EVER, Trey is giving his HEART... but needs to Pop some shots when available, and Geronimo, Durr and the others....have been unconsistently unreliable for the most part. And Lander????? Portal!!!!!! (and I hate to say that... because he came from my Daughters alma mater high school down here in Evansville)

YES.... having great recruits coming in is wonderful.... if they excel and turn into journeyman players over their four year stay.

Again.... Beorik.... no disrespect to your comments.

I agree with your comment above.... and my comment isn't a knock on your comment. I'm just adding my thoughts here.

It seems like that we're always talking the next recruiting class..... or some high fluting kid coming in.
That doesn't help us..... if we don't have solid journeymen seasoned players in the existing system.
Yes.... TJD is pretty solid. Race does a great job on most games... but some times flows in and out of the game.
(but Race has been pretty solid... I'm not trying to knock him).
But Phin hasn't stepped up solid in all games, XJ is.. WHERE EVER, Trey is giving his HEART... but needs to Pop some shots when available, and Geronimo, Durr and the others....have been unconsistently unreliable for the most part. And Lander????? Portal!!!!!! (and I hate to say that... because he came from my Daughters alma mater high school down here in Evansville)

YES.... having great recruits coming in is wonderful.... if they excel and turn into journeyman players over their four year stay.

Again.... Beorik.... no disrespect to your comments.
No disrespect taken. I know there are a lot of if’s in my assertion. The truth is, nobody knows. IMO 2 of Bates, Geronimo, Galloway, Leal, or Lander have to make a jump to 8-14 ppg players. I personally think Galloway is one almost assuredly. So one more has to do it. The others will just need to be serviceable role players.

Obviously an impact transfer or a freshman making an immediate impact would help as well. We will see but I certainly do not take the seemingly typical doom and gloom view of TJD leaving.

Reactions: Tscurlo
No disrespect taken. I know there are a lot of if’s in my assertion. The truth is, nobody knows. IMO 2 of Bates, Geronimo, Galloway, Leal, or Lander have to make a jump to 8-14 ppg players. I personally think Galloway is one almost assuredly. So one more has to do it. The others will just need to be serviceable role players.

Obviously an impact transfer or a freshman making an immediate impact would help as well. We will see but I certainly do not take the seemingly typical doom and gloom view of TJD leaving.

It’s amazing what kind of discussion can happen on a message board when two people can respect one another’s opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT