ADVERTISEMENT

listening to Mike Greenbug show

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
they were discussing Michigan and how they have alumni everywhere and he stated they must have the most because he always runs into someone that went to Michigan. Hembo said he looked it up and they were 3rd that Penn St and Indiana had the most, is that right? IU doesn't have the 2nd biggest enrollment in the country, do they? I thought Ohio St and even Wisconsin were bigger just from the big 10.

they were discussing Michigan and how they have alumni everywhere and he stated they must have the most because he always runs into someone that went to Michigan. Hembo said he looked it up and they were 3rd that Penn St and Indiana had the most, is that right? IU doesn't have the 2nd biggest enrollment in the country, do they? I thought Ohio St and even Wisconsin were bigger just from the big 10.
Agreed, I'd have guessed OSU has the most.

Among the biggest alumni networks for U.S. colleges are the previously mentioned Penn State and Indiana University, as well as the University of California and both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

Penn State boasts the largest alumni numbers of them all, with almost 760,000 living alumni

Reactions: kkott
Among the biggest alumni networks for U.S. colleges are the previously mentioned Penn State and Indiana University, as well as the University of California and both the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

Penn State boasts the largest alumni numbers of them all, with almost 760,000 living alumni
How is that possible? isn't OSU enrollment about 65k and IUs around 40? if true even a bigger stain on our athletic department?

How is that possible? isn't OSU enrollment about 65k and IUs around 40? if true even a bigger stain on our athletic department?
Satellite campuses. Remember, IUPUI and IFW (Indiana Fort Wayne) gives IU scholarships so there are campuses like that included. I don't know if those other schools have the same?

IU today: An expansive community
Today, the IU community represents a diverse cross-section of people from all backgrounds and cultures across current students and faculty.
69,000+ degree-seeking undergraduate students
20,000+ students in graduate and professional programs
7,200+ international students from 164 countries
21,000+ faculty and staff university-wide
44,500+ total affiliated IU employees (including students and temporary workers)

Took about ten seconds to look this up. 🤦🏻 straight from IU website

Reactions: IUAndy
it's the satellite campuses. an IUS grad is not really an IU grad, Louisville does the same stuff counting all of Jefferson County as metro Louisville, and proclaiming they are a top 10 market
IUS grads earn IU degrees. Yes they are IU grads. Louisville metro area includes Jefferson Country and the Indiana cities across the river is 43rd largest and not near top 10.

IUS grads earn IU degrees. Yes they are IU grads. Louisville metro area includes Jefferson Country and the Indiana cities across the river is 43rd largest and not near top 10.
may be an IU degree but it's not the same. they don't consider themselves IU alumni.

may be an IU degree but it's not the same. they don't consider themselves IU alumni.
Where do you get that? That isn't my experience. I have friends that have graduated from satellite campuses and they consider themselves IU alumni. It's on their diplomas so why wouldn't they?

Reactions: jmix
Also most of the regional campuses have their own athletics programs, which don't use the word "Hoosiers" in their identity.
That has nothing to do with their academic degree. They are IU alumni.

That has nothing to do with their academic degree. They are IU alumni.
Maybe but they may not really think of it that way. I have friends that went to IUPUI and they say they went to IUPUI not IU.

Enrolled student population for Spring 2024 semester is over 117,000 on all campuses.

That does count AP classes though...

I'm still surprised by this. Wisconsin has a ton of satellite campuses too, are these not included for UW? They have UW Eau Claire, Green Bay, LaCrosse, Osh Kosh, Platteville. Milwaukee just to name a few. These have to count the same we we include IUSB, East, South, Kokomo, FW etc...

It depends on the goverance structure and who grants the degree. In IU's case all campuses fall under the IU BoT's and President. All degrees granted are IU degrees.

Not certain that is the case for UW.

It depends on the goverance structure and who grants the degree. In IU's case all campuses fall under the IU BoT's and President. All degrees granted are IU degrees.

Not certain that is the case for UW.
Purdue has done that for as long as I can remember. If you graduated from PU Calumet, your degree said Purdue University. If you were Purdue North Central, your degree said Purdue University North Central. They're both Purdue NW now.

Alumni means those who graduated. OSU takes in almost all high school grads, but most drop out along the way. They are fans but not alums.

Also true for IUPUI. If you earned a degree thru SPEA or Kelley at IUPUI, your degree says Indiana University. A co-worker earned her engineering degree at IUPUI; her degree says Purdue.

Reactions: MrBing
IU today: An expansive community
Today, the IU community represents a diverse cross-section of people from all backgrounds and cultures across current students and faculty.
69,000+ degree-seeking undergraduate students
20,000+ students in graduate and professional programs
7,200+ international students from 164 countries
21,000+ faculty and staff university-wide
44,500+ total affiliated IU employees (including students and temporary workers)

Took about ten seconds to look this up. 🤦🏻 straight from IU website
Thanks. You saved the rest of us 10 seconds.

Also true for IUPUI. If you earned a degree thru SPEA or Kelley at IUPUI, your degree says Indiana University. A co-worker earned her engineering degree at IUPUI; her degree says Purdue.
That is interesting. I wonder why they do it that way. I would not have guessed that IUPUI was as good an education as IU or PU. I have zero info, just a perception that could easily be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT