ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to Dan Dakich today about the Religious Bill

A flute with no holes, is not a flute.....

welp

ty-webb.jpg

Alright... this place is really slipping....

nobody is going to ask for PICTURES or it didn't happen.

If Basketball is Religion in Indiana, can we now terminate him with cause

I think having to continue watching his teams constitute a substantial burden on our exercise of religion and, thus, there is a legitimate defense against having to pay his buyout.

But I bet seeing two girls kiss

Especially if they are hot, doesn't hit you the same way, right? I think it's more a guy thing.

So what was DD's take?

He's so all over the place I stuff. I assume what he thinks, but could be wrong...

Re: But I bet seeing two girls kiss

You're right, it doesn't hit me the same way. But, it also does next to nothing for me either and I know that's not the case for a lot of dudes. Again, maybe my wiring is just off

If it's 2 guys I dont have any boobs to look at.

It always comes down to boobs.

Especially if I am looking.

51 teams have an RPI over 300. Can IU schedule them all.

Drop the B1G schedule for an NEC schedule.

Yesterday he was ripping on how it was passed and the PR around it more

than the bill itself.

He kept saying 'no matter which side of the fence you fall on...the state of Indiana is playing defense and that means it is NEVER good and very rarely will turn out well'.

I only heard a snippet as he was talking to Doyel and Kravitz. All three had a tone that they were against the bill but Dakich's main point was how it got through, the timing of it (right before the final four) and how it is being perceived nationally.

That was my take.

I've never gotten the 'it's a choice' argument...and I've had it with many

people who I consider to be really smart people...but their catholic ways are on full tilt with this discussion.

My rebuttal has always been 'what the hell and who the hell would choose that? Get your ass kicked and bullied everyday? Feel like an complete outsider? Scared to admit your feelings and to feel like your F'd up? Scorned by your family and your society? Yeah, sign me the hell up for that!'.

A common answer is 'they just want attention'.

WTF???

Personally I've always felt that you are wired a certain way and there's nothing you can do about. Sure there is emotional attachment and attraction but ultimately my macho and sophomoric explanation has always been if I was a girl and felt like I actually do...could I suck on or take a peen?

No.

I would, however probably keep it in the closet as I'm not as strong as many others are...especially from where I grew up. I'd be more like the Heath Ledger ghey than the Jake Gyllenhaal ghey.

I'm not in any means advocating staying in the closet. I'm saying that's probably what I would do. Which is why 'coming out of the closet' is such a monstrous thing for someone to do.

I agree with that

Timing couldn't have been worse. Plus seems like all the individual reps are getting a free pass. It should have been stopped well before it made it to Pence.

Wow...this would actually make me vote for this bill and support Pense.

I keed, I keed....but man there would be a long pause, not going to lie. Lol.

Here's the other problem w/ the "choice" argument. Religion is a choice....

and religion is indisputably a choice. No one is born into or out of a religion; there is always some conscious act of acceptance of a religion by an individual.

So even if purely argument's sake, homosexuality is a conscious choice, by making law that permits you to discriminate against homosexuals, by refusing them services, denying their right to marry, denying any other rights or benefits on religious grounds, that is the state, through law, giving preference to one group's choice over another group's choice.

Or to make phrase it another way, that is the government making a law respecting the establishment of a religion.

Or another way of saying that is that is an act completely contrary to the 1st and 14th Amendments of the Constitution.

Well I will make an attempt at sharing

which I believe another poster below has touched upon but my thought is fear of the other or different I used the phrase fear of the other so I could then reference a book by Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land.

I have to make an assumption please forgive me if I am mistaken but while growing up you witnessed your parents showing affection as described in your post which gave you your perspective, and another assumption is the vast majority of folks did not and still do not witness displays of affection between two fellows or two gals and we all have to various degrees a fear of the unknown or different well because that signaled in the past 'danger' and we are still attempting to climb that particular mountain and in fact I think that is exactly what is occurring in an extremely rapid manner for some folks, we can hope they catch up.

Speaking for myself I am not a huge fan of public displays of affection beyond holding hands and brief kisses, if I see two people anywhere 'making out' my first thought is always 'go get a room!!! vvbg

You choose whether or not to act on your beliefs....

Your affirmative acceptance of a belief coupled with voluntary association (to whatever varying degree) with others who believe similarly is how you get a religion.

I think that is a proper definition of "religion" in this context of government establishment and Constitutionality.

Originally posted by Neves:

*Note - this isn't a discussion on the religious law, I am just trying to understand why there are factions of straight people that are disgusted at the sight of two dudes holding hands or getting married.

easy answer,

many guys, and many people in general, are disgusted by any sexual act or desire they themselves don't desire.

take a child who is too young for sexual desires one way or another.

were such child to see any two adults in a sexual act, it's their inherent nature to perceive such act as disgusting.

only when one has the desire themselves, does it become not disgusting.

for that matter, ourselves personally performing any sex act on someone, male or female, we ourselves have zero sexual interest in, would have some level of disgusting element to it for some reason, would it not.

and the less attracted we are to said person, the more disgusting we perceive it, even if we don't admit so out loud..

again, it only becomes not disgusting, when we ourselves have that totally inexplicable, yet unbelievably strong desire, to perform said act on said particular person.

at which time it immediately goes from being totally disgusting, to wonderful.

That is true.

But that's an important distinction you need to make. And it's probably too narrow for this particular law, which defines "religious exercise" as broadly as possible (technically, it doesn't define it at all, which is one of the problems with this law).

goat

I think your second sentence is the real explanation, although religion

certainly plays a role in establishing those norms. I still remember when I was a kid, maybe 6 years old, and driving in to downtown Indy, from our suburban house on the Southside. My face was pressed against the window, because I was so stunned by the number of black people. I'd never seen more than 1 or 2, so to see streets filled with blacks was a new reality for me.

I also remember in high school going to Btown for an x-country meet, and our bus passing 2 girls on the sidewalk holding hands. The entire bus turned to watch in amazement and as they crossed the street, they stopped and kissed (I must confess, I found it surprisingly arousing, even then). Everyone simultaneously let out a gasp. It was just not something any of us had seen or really even contemplated I think. Same with rural folks who come to the city for the first time and see skyscrapers.

I'm sure if they've been lectured on the evils of homosexuality at home or church, then it is fear or hatred, but for alot of folks I think it is primarily just ignorance and shock.

This post was edited on 4/1 7:23 AM by kkott

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT