ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/spring-practice-2020-position-preview-linebackers/2020/2/26

This is going to be an interesting position group with playing the 4-2-5 base defense.

McFadden & Jones look to be the starters as juniors.

With the nature of shoulder injuries, I honestly have doubts with Thomas Allen will be able to come back and have a big role. He also runs of the risk of getting supplanted by one of the younger guys.

I really wish they had RS Bonhomme. I hate having a talented rising sophomore behind two juniors.

I hope for big things out of Cam Williams and hope he was able to put some weight on to go with his athleticism. And I hope they RS Ty Wise and create some space between classes unless he really shows out during spring/fall camps.

On the plus side, this could be a position group where they can really create situational packages. On the Debbie-Downer side, I think this could end up like RB was this last season and we see some transfers before the season starts or certainly before 2021. Just may not be enough opportunity there for some talented kids to see the field much.

IU has a number of LBs that are talented and should step up this coming season. I expect James Miller to take a bigger role as he did at the end of 2019. I want to see what Bonhomme can do at LB this season along with Williams.

IU has a number of LBs that are talented and should step up this coming season. I expect James Miller to take a bigger role as he did at the end of 2019. I want to see what Bonhomme can do at LB this season along with Williams.

i

I think James Miller is a possible star who needs more time. But I also think with rotations they could play up to 5, maybe six LB’s, but for sure 4 with a lot of regularity. Keep them fresh!

Agree with the sentiment above. We have a really nice combination of experience, talent, and upside with this position group. Miller has the size and speed to be that sideline to sideline disruptor. If he puts it all together he could be a monster.

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/spring-practice-2020-position-preview-linebackers/2020/2/26

This is going to be an interesting position group with playing the 4-2-5 base defense.

McFadden & Jones look to be the starters as juniors.

With the nature of shoulder injuries, I honestly have doubts with Thomas Allen will be able to come back and have a big role. He also runs of the risk of getting supplanted by one of the younger guys.

I really wish they had RS Bonhomme. I hate having a talented rising sophomore behind two juniors.

I hope for big things out of Cam Williams and hope he was able to put some weight on to go with his athleticism. And I hope they RS Ty Wise and create some space between classes unless he really shows out during spring/fall camps.

On the plus side, this could be a position group where they can really create situational packages. On the Debbie-Downer side, I think this could end up like RB was this last season and we see some transfers before the season starts or certainly before 2021. Just may not be enough opportunity there for some talented kids to see the field much.
LB is a position of frequent injuries. I like our depth there which we shall surely need.

Aaron Casey showed some flashes as well. Tom Allen was really struggling with his sideline to sideline speed he's more of a downhill thump er. Lots of great options at LB though.

Aaron Casey showed some flashes as well. Tom Allen was really struggling with his sideline to sideline speed he's more of a downhill thump er. Lots of great options at LB though.
Tom Allen was a two-star recruit who’s only the other power five offer was from Rutgers. That doesn’t mean he won’t be a great football player. But it certainly indicates that he wouldn’t have gotten a scholarship if his father wasn’t the coach.

Also, with a 5.2 rating, he was the lowest rated scholarship player recruited in 2017. And take it a step further he is the lowest rated scholarship player recorded in the three years Coach Tom Allen has been here. Bottom line he’s like Pat Knight getting a scholarship to play basketball so that he could set picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
Thomas works very hard, sure he sets a great work/attitude example, and has made some plays. He's definitely not a bust.

But I've been since day one skeptical of how much playing time he was getting at LB over some other players (say James Miller as an example). I think DE would be better for him too as he'd likely have the size, speed wouldn't be a huge negative against him as it might be at LB. And the more fresh bodies causing disruption against passing game we have the better.

Post injury/rehab, I have a feeling he will be a bit behind the 8-ball. My question is, will the DC, who owes an awful lot to Coach Allen, be able to judge accordingly without feeling guilty or pressure if not playing Thomas when he's back if he's not higher than others on the depth chart?

Thomas works very hard, sure he sets a great work/attitude example, and has made some plays. He's definitely not a bust.

But I've been since day one skeptical of how much playing time he was getting at LB over some other players (say James Miller as an example). I think DE would be better for him too as he'd likely have the size, speed wouldn't be a huge negative against him as it might be at LB. And the more fresh bodies causing disruption against passing game we have the better.

Post injury/rehab, I have a feeling he will be a bit behind the 8-ball. My question is, will the DC, who owes an awful lot to Coach Allen, be able to judge accordingly without feeling guilty or pressure if not playing Thomas when he's back if he's not higher than others on the depth chart?
A concern of mine as well. Not that I think CTA would expect any favors, but would Wommak feel like he should do him a favor?

A concern of mine as well. Not that I think CTA would expect any favors, but would Wommak feel like he should do him a favor?
I think Wommak is too far behind the 8-ball to be doing favors, consciously or subconsciously. He's going to be under a lot of pressure to produce with the new offensive regime and the unknown on how well it will score points. The ability of Deboer's system to put up points gave him a lot of slack last season.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT