ADVERTISEMENT

Lifelong Republican Mayor of Mesa, Arizona Endorses Harris

I never said that shit for brains (Trump wasn’t even mentioned in my post). If you endorse Harris you’re not a conservative.
hey shit for brains, who is running against Harris?

Oh yea Trump.

A conservative that doesn't want Trump to win would vote for Harris. Doesn't make them not a conservative. Only dumb sheep like you would think so.

Impressed with her work as border czar. Doubtless. She’s done an amazing job. She was able to get the number of crossings way up
I ask because I don't know the answer... Mesa is closer to the border than most of us on this board are, obviously. But I wonder how big of a problem the immigration issues are to Mesa?

Its obviously noteworthy that a Republican Mayor, of a city that close to the border, endorses the Democratic candidate.

Would a city like Mesa actually be adversely effected by Trumps deportation policies?

I kinda doubt this Republican mayor is endorsing Harris because he doesn't like Trump, the person. There's something about Mesa that he/they feel Harris is the better choice? And further, since he's a Republican, in a Republican city...all the dumb ass posts in this thread about him being a progressive, are worthless.

So...what's the actual reason?

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Yes, shitty memories.

I’ll say this one last time. I don’t have kids. But if I did they wouldn’t be plopped down in front of the tv.
Yes they would. Doesn't change the fact the McM had clearly been hitting the liquor yesterday but yes they would. Screens, in moderation and in the right circumstances, are a gods damned God send.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I ask because I don't know the answer... Mesa is closer to the border than most of us on this board are, obviously. But I wonder how big of a problem the immigration issues are to Mesa?

Its obviously noteworthy that a Republican Mayor, of a city that close to the border, endorses the Democratic candidate.

Would a city like Mesa actually be adversely effected by Trumps deportation policies?

I kinda doubt this Republican mayor is endorsing Harris because he doesn't like Trump, the person. There's something about Mesa that he/they feel Harris is the better choice? And further, since he's a Republican, in a Republican city...all the dumb ass posts in this thread about him being a progressive, are worthless.

Mesa is a burb of Phoenix. Who knows. Trump said something mean? Mayor’s brother is an immigration lawyer and it’s good for biz. Friend of McCain? Who cares. Look at the numbers yourself and figure out how we’re going to process that many people, subsidize that many people as they certainly aren’t EB-5 entries, and the point of having border laws if we’re just going to let people in etc. there was a purpose behind 42, the wall funding, asylum agreements, remain in Mexico etc. The purpose behind everything this admin will do is progressive feelz
And I will add two kids at home with endless treats and friends over and family around them and they are still hard. I cannot fathom these poor people making that trek and all they endure with little ones. It’s beyond words. But the numbers crossing under Harris are untenable as a country if that continued.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu

It's completely fair to question his Conservative credentials. First of all, Mayor elections are non-partisan, he might be a registered Republican, but he's never won a Republican primary.

It's not just the Harris endorsement either, he endorsed Mark Kelly for Senate in 2022 as well and was censured by the Arizona GOP. He's thrown out Progressive red meat as Mayor like a "City wide non-discrimination ordinance" (discrimination is already illegal) and a "Climate action plan" (Mayor's have a ton of sway over the global temperature you know, definitely something he should focus on).

Lastly, when the Arizona tried to pass a law to increase housing supply that would have cut red tape and overridden HOA restrictions he opposed it.

It's completely fair to question his Conservative credentials. First of all, Mayor elections are non-partisan, he might be a registered Republican, but he's never won a Republican primary.

It's not just the Harris endorsement either, he endorsed Mark Kelly for Senate in 2022 as well and was censured by the Arizona GOP. He's thrown out Progressive red meat as Mayor like a "City wide non-discrimination ordinance" (discrimination is already illegal) and a "Climate action plan" (Mayor's have a ton of sway over the global temperature you know, definitely something he should focus on).

Lastly, when the Arizona tried to pass a law to increase housing supply that would have cut red tape and overridden HOA restrictions he opposed it.
Most Mayor races are not non-partisan.

This guy and Arizona are still living in the McCain era. The old style Republicans like McCain are dying/dead. Trump's populism has taken over the Party. The only reason it doesn't win the election is because of Trump himself.

This guy and Arizona are still living in the McCain era. The old style Republicans like McCain are dying/dead. Trump's populism has taken over the Party. The only reason it doesn't win the election is because of Trump himself.
This is a very interesting post. I don’t know this guy in Mesa nor care about him but I do believe your sentiment re the rest. The new populist republicans should win elections but for trump

Good info...

So...the point of my questions...My understanding is Mesa is fairly conservative, one of the more conservative areas of Phoenix...why do they keep reelecting a guy that has openly supported Democrats?

Or is his open Democratic support all recent, and he hasn't face reelection since the endorsements you mentioned?

In true "politics of today" fashion...he's now being portrayed as a progressive left politician...Trying to square how its possible for a person like that to remain in power in a place like Mesa?

Also...your last sentence... seems like a law like the one you mention would have benefitted illegal immigrants??? No?? Any sort of increase in housing inventory, and decrease in neighborhood regulations...would lead to less costly housing, and more multi family homes = traditionally more immigrant friendly conditions.

He met her at the airport, prior to addressing the huge rally in Glendale that your video shows.. He's exactly the kind of pro-McCain anti Trumper who will be critical in AZ. Mesa is not only a very Conservative area, but it's also includes a pretty high concentration of LDS...

I imagine he'll play some role at the DNC. I know Adam K is slated to speak from the podium...

If he is LDS/Mormon, it would explain it a bit, because as a group, most Mormons HATE trump. Too lazy to look up whether he is or isn’t.

Reactions: cosmickid
If he is LDS/Mormon, it would explain it a bit, because as a group, most Mormons HATE trump. Too lazy to look up whether he is or isn’t.
Yeah I don't know if he personally is or not, I was just pointing out how Conservative Mesa is. Seems like every year there are always players from Mesa on both BYU football and basketball squads...

And your point about Mormons disliking Trump is very well taken. Relatively speaking for a state as Red as Utah. the anti-Trump sentiment is plapable.

Last edited:
In keeping with the subject of this thread, the wacky nature of AZ politics, this video should be illuminating...

Lifelong pub in Georgia, former Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, has the same feeling:

“I think it’s important to reinforce the fact to Republicans around the country that just because you vote for Kamala Harris in 2024, doesn’t mean you’re Democrat,” Duncan told CNN anchor Jim Acosta.

It just means you’re a patriot,” Duncan continued. “You’re doing your duty as an American to step up to the plate and reclaim this country’s future.”

Don't forget Ana Navarro! She's also a Republican
We were discussing high ranking elected GOP politicians. How would she qualify
And Michael Steele!
that one's better! ex RNC chair, at least

He had a great line, saying that "The Republican Party Needs A Political Enema"

Unfortunately he also seems to glom onto some stupid conspiracy theories around the Trump assassination attempt, so I'm not sure he's of a particularly sound mind.

Plus, if you gave the GOP a good enema, you'd get a bunch of Trump on your hands. Ewwwww....

Last edited:
In a faith that stresses obedience and lawfulness, both the Jan. 6 insurrection and the continued obviously false claims of a stolen election have soured many LDS voters on the GOP.

some links for you, Aloha:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
J Michael Luttig now openly endorsing Harris. Obviously not surprising he wouldn't endorse Trump, but I think it is noteworthy that he is taking the step of endorsing Harris.

I don't know if these Republican endorsements really end up meaning anything to either campaign, in the long run. But It does seem like there are more known prominent Republicans endorsing away from Trump, than we've seen since he won the nomination originally in 16.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
In a faith that stresses obedience and lawfulness, both the Jan. 6 insurrection and the continued obviously false claims of a stolen election have soured many LDS voters on the GOP.

some links for you, Aloha:

Interesting. Makes sense. Also nice to see Mormons aren’t morons who believe Trump lost 2020 due to election fraud. It’s disappointing so many white Christian evangelicals do believe that. Then again, many also believe humans lived with dinosaurs and even had them on Noah’s ark.

Reactions: outside shooter
One of my best friends who lives in Scottsdale and who I have known since I was 8 years old has finally had enough of the Republican Party.

He’s an anti-abortion Catholic, but he sees what is going on in the Republican Party and is just disgusted.
I’m an anti abortion Catholic who feels the same way.

But I’m also a what you do with your life and body is none of my business Catholic.

Reactions: DrHoops
This is a very interesting post. I don’t know this guy in Mesa nor care about him but I do believe your sentiment re the rest. The new populist republicans should win elections but for trump
Yeh, never heard of that guy but could see how McCain Arizona followers are anti-Trump because he was buddies with Biden. Guess they had support for endless wars in common. Like the republicans, I think the old style Democrats have been taken over by the Progressives. These old guys are getting pushed aside in both parties. I guess they are called moderates now and seem to be more inclined to vote Democratic because of their desire for war. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it seems all other parties, independents and even Trump don't want war. It is only the Dems. It sounds as if Germany is now pulling out of providing Ukraine war funds. Seems the anti-war sentiment would be another easy attacking point against the Dems.

Yeh, never heard of that guy but could see how McCain Arizona followers are anti-Trump because he was buddies with Biden. Guess they had support for endless wars in common. Like the republicans, I think the old style Democrats have been taken over by the Progressives. These old guys are getting pushed aside in both parties. I guess they are called moderates now and seem to be more inclined to vote Democratic because of their desire for war. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it seems all other parties, independents and even Trump don't want war. It is only the Dems. It sounds as if Germany is now pulling out of providing Ukraine war funds. Seems the anti-war sentiment would be another easy attacking point against the Dems.
The parties are definitely changing. The Dems are a progressive party now, clearly, and the pubs have dumped the old guard for a more populist crowd

Reactions: snarlcakes
Holy crap, that’s a poorly written bunch of nonsense.

Yeah I don't know if he personally is or not, I was just pointing out how Conservative Mesa is. Seems like every year there are always players from Mesa on both BYU football and basketball squads...

And your point about Mormons disliking Trump is very well taken. Relatively speaking for a state as Red as Utah. the anti-Trump sentiment is plapable.
John is LDS, and yes, Mesa is very conservative. John is a great guy and has done a remarkable job as mayor. He's term-limited, so his time is up at the end of the year. I wish he would run for Congress. You couldn't find a higher quality guy who truly cares about public service. John is similar to many other Republicans in Arizona. The crazies have control of the party, unfortunately, so many true conservative Republicans have moved away from the current GOP candidates. What Trump and his gang did in trying to undo the election results in AZ last time turned people off. Look up what they did to Rusty Bowers for a great example. We will have an initiative on the ballot in November that might change things. If passed, it would allow eligible voters to participate in primary elections for either party. The majority of voters in AZ are registered as independent, so most don't participate, leaving the crazies to elect their candidates of choice. Most of them in state-wide offices lose. Watch Kari Lake go down in the Senate race this fall.

BTW, most LDS members are very conservative politically and will vote for Trump. Many do so enthusiastically. Our congressman is Biggs, also LDS, and one of the more Trumpier Trump supporters. He's a real gem.

Reactions: DrHoops
They’re going to continue to struggle winning elections. Women, especially single, want security and vote for it. It’s biologically engrained in them. Democrats offer it and tug on their empathy strings. It’s always going to be difficult for Republicans.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You gonna go by and check out any of the DNC this week? We've locked up the condo and fled to Northbrook to house sit for my parents. Dog really loves the big yard.

Get out while you can.
Went tonight with my lawyer (another IU grad). It was fantastic!

McCain Arizona followers are anti-Trump because he was buddies with Biden.
Ummm...

McCain supporters are anti-Trump because Trump was over-the-top anti-military, anti-veteran, and lobbed baseless lie-tainted criticisms at McCain every waking moment.

Do you even recall "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured"???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT