ADVERTISEMENT

Let's take a look at seven of IU's football commits

snowling

Hall of Famer
I must admit I have never been one to spend a lot of time reporting on college football commitments.

Football seems to be an odd animal in that regard. Kids will commit one month, de-commit the next, and a few months later will commit to another school. Sometimes this happens two or three times.

With basketball, once a kid commits it seems that his recruitment basically ends. In football, though, it almost seems as if once a player commits it just begins the recruiting process. A commitment doesn’t necessarily stop opposing coaches from calling.

There seems to always be a lot of movement in January of a particular year, a few weeks out from national signing day in February.

Sometimes I believe college football coaching staffs spend as much time in December and January continuing to recruit their own commits because it seems we always hear of late commits who have opted to de-commit from a certain school and open up their recruitment.

This is a long way of explaining why I haven’t spent a great deal of time to this point bringing you up to date on the number of Indiana football commits in the class of 2018.

National Signing Day is Feb. 7, 2018. That’s 215 days away.

The way I prefer to do it is once there are several names in the class, I’ll report them all at once and wrap them up into a nice neat bow.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at the seven Indiana University football players currently committed for the class of 2018.

As of today, IU has four defensive players and three offensive players committed. Three are from the state of Illinois and one each is from Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Indiana.

Five of them are three-star recruits by rivals.com; the others are two-star recruits.

The first player to commit was Jordan Jusevitch, a 6-foot, 195-pound safety from Lowell (Ind.) High School. Jusevitch committed to the Hoosiers on Jan. 21 of this year. He had an offer from Central Michigan and was being recruited heavily by Wisconsin as well.

The second player in the class committed in April and is another defensive back. Elijah Rodgers is a 6-1, 160-pound cornerback from Blacksburg (S.C.) High School.

Rodgers had one other Big Ten offer (Purdue) and also had offers from BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina and Bryant.

The other five commitments in the class all gave their verbal commits in the month of June.

It started with a pickup from Jacolby Hewitt, a 6-1, 207-pound wide receiver from Cordova (Tenn.) High School. Hewitt chose the Hoosiers over offers from Kentucky, Memphis, UAB, Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee-Martin.

Tight end Matt Bjorson, a 6-3, 225-pounder from Hinsdale (Ill.) Central, committed to the Hoosiers on June 14. Bjorson had offers from Kentucky, Ball State, Central Michigan, New Mexico, Northern Illinois and Western Kentucky. He caught 24 passes for 325 yards and three touchdowns last season.

Indiana’s fifth commit was also from the state of Illinois when 6-4, 272-pound offensive lineman Nick Marozas chose IU. Marozas is from Brother Rice High School in Chicago. Marozas had more than 15 other offers, including one from Minnesota. Some of the other schools that had made offers included Virginia, Cincinnati, Ball State, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Miami (Ohio), New Mexico and Wyoming.

Commitment No. 6 in the class came June 20 from Aaron Casey, a 6-2, 205-pound outside linebacker from Alexander High School in Douglasville, Ga.

Casey said his top two schools were Indiana and Iowa State. One of the things he liked about IU was the Kelley School of Business. He had more than 20 offers. The other Big Ten offer was from Rutgers.

Gavin McCabe, a 6-3, 250-pound defensive end from Chicago (Ill.) Marist also committed to IU on June 20. He had offers from several big schools including Big Ten foes Illinois and Purdue. He also had offers from Iowa State, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and Texas Tech, to name a few.

Last season he had 69 tackles including 20.5 for loss and 9.5 sacks.

So that’s the current seven Indiana football commits. As the Hoosiers continue to add to that list, I’ll provide more updates.

Terry Hutchens covers Indiana University athletics for CNHI Sports Indiana. He can be reached at thutchens@cnhi.com or follow him on Twitter @IndySportsHutch.

http://www.rushvillerepublican.com/...cle_14f73659-d319-53ed-9887-8e959e0a15b1.html

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT