ADVERTISEMENT

Leland Walker

Interesting. I wonder if that would spell the end of Cupps. I don’t mind it because we need to desperately be looking to upgrade our guard play and depth.
I really do not see a role for cupps. He got a nice raise to stay but that was before all these portal additions. They are just going to recruit over him every spring.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I really do not see a role for cupps. He got a nice raise to stay but that was before all these portal additions. They are just going to recruit over him every spring.
He's a freshman. I think it's nuts to think he can't improve and be a valuable player, whether a starter or not. Guys with good attitudes, who can handle the ball and shoot can help any team. Seems he's got the first 2 and just needs to work on strength, confidence and his shot. If we were to sign walker, my question is: how many years does he have. As I've said often, to me you want to be 3 deep at PG, post and wing/shooter: a starter, a backup who can play now, and a developing player. Cupps should've been the developing player this past year, but we only had a starting PG so he went all the way to starting, which is a problem. No reason he couldn't be the backup or developing guy this year and still have 2 more years to contribute. Way too early to write him off.

Wouldn't redshirting Cupps benefit both parties? Having him and Newton on schedule together on deck behind Rice and Carlyle would be optimal.

I thought I heard where DePaul wanted Walker?
Redshirting Cupps would be good for IU. Maybe not so much for Cupps. If Walker or another pg who is better than him arrves, he is likely better off transferring to a mid major where he can play. Then if he is good enough - back in the portal for his junior or senior year.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Wouldn't redshirting Cupps benefit both parties? Having him and Newton on schedule together on deck behind Rice and Carlyle would be optimal.

I thought I heard where DePaul wanted Walker?

Maybe Walker would redshirt.

I like Walker, but he doesn't make much sense in the current circumstances.

I did see a reference on another site to him being at the BB last Friday evening with Gallo and Leal. At the time one of the posters hinted that he was still in consideration for IU even if Essegian came...that he was not just a back-up plan. That was his take, fwiw.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think this is great news if Rice goes down and Cupps is running the show we're done. I think Woodson knows he must have a backup.

One thing that I like about him if he comes here is that he'd be here because he wants to be here (hopefully) and not just because we threw a boatload of $$ at him.

I realize it's E. Kentucky, but his stats last year were impressive.

Per every 40M played...M. Rice was 17.9 pts/3.7 rebs/4.6 assists/1.9 steals/3.1 TOs, while shooting .510 on 2s, .275 on 3s, .811 on FTs; LW's same #s were 21.7/3.8/5.7/1.5/3.0, while shooting .445/.342/.832.

I do like the thought of him being the back-up PG instead of Carlyle, Gallo, Cupps....keep those guys at the off guard.

Reactions: barnsweeper
He's a freshman. I think it's nuts to think he can't improve and be a valuable player, whether a starter or not. Guys with good attitudes, who can handle the ball and shoot can help any team. Seems he's got the first 2 and just needs to work on strength, confidence and his shot. If we were to sign walker, my question is: how many years does he have. As I've said often, to me you want to be 3 deep at PG, post and wing/shooter: a starter, a backup who can play now, and a developing player. Cupps should've been the developing player this past year, but we only had a starting PG so he went all the way to starting, which is a problem. No reason he couldn't be the backup or developing guy this year and still have 2 more years to contribute. Way too early to write him off.
I agree with you on Cupps. He is not going anywhere. He’ll have a role this year and get playing time. Both Leal and Galloway run out of eligibility this year which opens up time next year. We cannot take on this mentality that anyone who is not a starter will leave. IU may go 8-10 deep with their rotations this year.

All this discussion on getting rid of players.

Is everyone aware that it is mid-April and IU has only 9 scholarship players on the roster?
They need at least 2 shooters (one should be a true guard, the other could be a guard , wing or stretch forward)

They need a power forward or center

They need one more scoring guard who can defend. Preferably a decent ball handler.

Is all of that going to happen before then end of August?

Reactions: GOSHOE71

Is everyone aware that it is mid-April and IU has only 9 scholarship players on the roster?
They need at least 2 shooters (one should be a true guard, the other could be a guard , wing or stretch forward)

They need one more scoring guard who can defend. Preferably a decent ball handler.

For clarity sake, my original statement was not expressing any desire for him to leave. In fact, I actually like cupps and find the negative response to his freshman year completely irrational. Did he play great? No, but I had no expectation of him having the ability to navigate what he was hurled into as a freshman. People see four-star and they think automatically that means they are playing like the top tier 4 stars we have seen over the years. The large majority of them need time to develop and cupps was not afforded that time. My hope is that regardless of who we bring onto the roster that he sticks around because he is the type of player that will be an absolute difference maker as a junior and senior.

Players will be committing to new schools well into June. Some of the best portal signings this past offseason occurred in late May/June. Carlyle is going to commit tomorrow/Sunday by the time his visit ends and the starting lineup will be set. Have a little almost 2 months to fill the the remaining scholarships with depth pieces. Players still entering the portal in droves.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT