ADVERTISEMENT

Legit Final Four Contenders

We have the most talented and versatile 8 deep roster in the country. UCONN lost 4 starters. I like Hurley but he's not 3 peating. Gonzaga, Kansas and Alabama would be who I feel comfortable with as talent equal with us. If any of those coached had our talent they would be ranked #1.
REALLY? Your guards are better, BUT can not shot the 3! Mgbacko can shot, BUT is slow playing the 3 and can't guard anyone and is a average rebounder. Reneau can score BUT is not a good rebounder and has trouble staying out of foul trouble. Ballo (who is 6'10") BUT can only play 25 minutes a game, can't shot past 10' and you do not even want to talk about free throws! So you have a team who got quicker at guard spot, but still cannot shot the 3, a team who went backwards at the center position, and has no depth at the 5! I would wait and see before making that statement, lost your best player last year in WARE, still can't shot the 3, rebounding and depth is still an issue, all this from a team who did not even qualify for the tournament!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
REALLY? Your guards are better, BUT can not shot the 3! Mgbacko can shot, BUT is slow playing the 3 and can't guard anyone and is a average rebounder. Reneau can score BUT is not a good rebounder and has trouble staying out of foul trouble. Ballo (who is 6'10") BUT can only play 25 minutes a game, can't shot past 10' and you do not even want to talk about free throws! So you have a team who got quicker at guard spot, but still cannot shot the 3, a team who went backwards at the center position, and has no depth at the 5! I would wait and see before making that statement, lost your best player last year in WARE, still can't shot the 3, rebounding and depth is still an issue, all this from a team who did not even qualify for the tournament!
You're an idiot.

-Ballo is the best defensive 5 in the country and one of the top rebounders both off/def
-Reneau is one of the best scoring 4's in the country
-Mgbako is a budding star capable of becoming a lights out volume shooter from the perimeter
-Rice is a top 10 PG in the country
-Galloway/Carlyle/Tucker are all versatile guard/wing combo players who can play in a variety of lineups
-Goode is a career 40% 3 pt shooter who can play multiple positions.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

I do wish we could shot the 3!

You're an idiot.

-Ballo is the best defensive 5 in the country and one of the top rebounders both off/def
-Reneau is one of the best scoring 4's in the country
-Mgbako is a budding star capable of becoming a lights out volume shooter from the perimeter
-Rice is a top 10 PG in the country
-Galloway/Carlyle/Tucker are all versatile guard/wing combo players who can play in a variety of lineups
-Goode is a career 40% 3 pt shooter who can play multiple positions.

You have no clue what you're talking about.
So IU has more talent than Arizona had last year? I don't think so! Even with losing 3 starters that included Ballo , Arizona is still a top 10 team, IU will have a tough time getting into the top 20! Goode is a 38.8% career 3pt shooter, but he should fit in at IU with a career 67.7% Free Throw clip!

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
So IU has more talent than Arizona had last year? I don't think so! Even with losing 3 starters that included Ballo , Arizona is still a top 10 team, IU will have a tough time getting into the top 20! Goode is a 38.8% career 3pt shooter, but he should fit in at IU with a career 67.7% Free Throw clip!
Touch grass dude

Blimpy's assessment is pessimistic but he is right about where the weaknesses lie.
I would simply say that with only 5 players returning and none of them a clear 1st team all league player, there is a good chance this coming year is only "somewhat" better than last season.

Calbert, Greg Graham, Bailey, Henderson, and Evans all returned from a FF team and they only made the E8.

The chance of Reneau or Mgbako turning into Carmelo Anthony is not that high.
I'm hoping for a top 4 conference team and solid lock into the tourney.

Blimpy's assessment is pessimistic but he is right about where the weaknesses lie.
I would simply say that with only 5 players returning and none of them a clear 1st team all league player, there is a good chance this coming year is only "somewhat" better than last season.

Calbert, Greg Graham, Bailey, Henderson, and Evans all returned from a FF team and they only made the E8.

Mgbako won B10 FOY and played like an all-league player the last month of the season and Reneau is one of the best returning scorers in the conference. Don’t need either of them to turn into Carmelo Anthony, just need them to be slightly better on the defensive end.

We have the most talented and versatile group of 8 players in the country. If we decide to win the 3pt differential with a defense first approach we are a final 4 team. That cannot be done playing Ballo, Reneau and Mgbako together against the majority of the teams in the country. The 2 big work with Galloway or Tucker at the 3. Splitting the bigs and using Mgbako and Goode at the 4 makes most sense. If implemented properly, there is no excuse for not winning the Big 10 and playing in week 3 of the NCAA.

Reactions: tbird2017
We have the most talented and versatile group of 8 players in the country. If we decide to win the 3pt differential with a defense first approach we are a final 4 team. That cannot be done playing Ballo, Reneau and Mgbako together against the majority of the teams in the country. The 2 big work with Galloway or Tucker at the 3. Splitting the bigs and using Mgbako and Goode at the 4 makes most sense. If implemented properly, there is no excuse for not winning the Big 10 and playing in week 3 of the NCAA.
Feels like you might be setting the expectations a bit high to use against Woodson later.

Kansas has a markedly better main rotation than ours. And there are probably 8-10 that are as good as ours.

We definitely have a very talented and versatile main rotation though, for sure. It’s just not THAT good. Doesn’t mean we can’t do great things. But to expect B10 champs and/or FF levels… ehhhh.

• Haha
Feels like you might be setting the expectations a bit high to use against Woodson later.

Kansas has a markedly better main rotation than ours. And there are probably 8-10 that are as good as ours.

We definitely have a very talented and versatile main rotation though, for sure. It’s just not THAT good. Doesn’t mean we can’t do great things. But to expect B10 champs and/or FF levels… ehhhh.
I would agree that anytime you start with “FF or bust” you’re setting yourself up for failure given the crapshoot nature of a single elimination tournament. But why wouldn’t you expect a B10 championship? Who else in the B10 has close to the level of depth, talent, and experience as IU’s expected main rotation?

But you’re underselling good.

-Ballo is 2x All-Pac12 and 2x All-Pac12 defensive team

-Reneau is the 3rd highest returning scorer in the league from last year

-Mgbako B10 FOY

-Carlyle All-Pac12 freshman team

-Myles Rice Pac12 FOY and All-Pac12 1st team.

Some serious accolades for our projected starting 5. If you want to take the wait and see approach because of who is coaching then that I understand, but if you’re objectively looking at just the talent level of the top 8-9 players in the rotation, it’s easily one of the best in the country.

Last edited:
Reading the front page article on projected starters and rotations, it was good to see Anthony Leal in the top 8, over Newton, Cupps and Tucker! Good to see Galloway as your starter, he is your highest rated guard!

I would agree that anytime you start with “FF or bust” you’re setting yourself up for failure given the crapshoot nature of a single elimination tournament. But why wouldn’t you expect a B10 championship? Who else in the B10 has close to the level of depth, talent, and experience as IU’s expected main rotation?

But you’re underselling good.

-Ballo is 2x All-Pac12 and 2x All-Pac12 defensive team

-Reneau is the 3rd highest returning scorer in the league from last year

-Mgbako B10 FOY

-Carlyle All-Pac12 freshman team

-Myles Rice Pac12 FOY and All-Pac12 1st team.

Some serious accolades for our projected starting 5. If you want to take the wait and see approach because of who is coaching then that I understand, but if you’re objectively looking at just the talent level of the top 8-9 players in the rotation, it’s easily one of the best in the country.
I don't think I'm underselling anything. I said they're very good. I lumped them in with a handful of others, as one of the "top 10" in the country. But the person I was replying to is saying things like "no excuse for anything less than B10 championship AND 3rd weekend (Final Four)"... As much individual talent as there is, there are still obvious question marks and potential holes for our team to be THAT good. The difference with this team, from Woody's first few, is there are available pieces this year to answer the questions, and to fill the holes. Obviously it'll be his job to figure all that out.

I personally can't envision a Woodson coached team having a top 5 efficiency team on either end of the floor. So, to me, the biggest question mark is whether or not the guys around Ballo, and the team philosophies, can produce a top 20 level defense. Without it, they aren't doing either of the things the poster I replied to is expecting.

Reading the front page article on projected starters and rotations, it was good to see Anthony Leal in the top 8, over Newton, Cupps and Tucker! Good to see Galloway as your starter, he is your highest rated guard!
The obsession with IU never has an off season does it?

Reactions: bbafficionado
I can't wait to see frustrated Purdue wings getting pissed when opponents have the audacity to actually guard them this year.

Just assuming you're a Purdue fan...your posts read that way...

Blimpy is a PU troll.
Honestly didn't remember/know that...but it wasn't difficult to pick up on. I can even hear the years of pent up envy and resentment that most Purdue fans still have, despite the Edey experience.

Honestly didn't remember/know that...but it wasn't difficult to pick up on. I can even hear the years of pent up envy and resentment that most Purdue fans still have, despite the Edey experience.
It's the same dipshit who has been banned 3 or 4 times already, I think Boilpotato was his last handle.

The front page article doesn't coach the team or decide who will play.

God, you're f**king stupid.

They only reached the Elite Eight, I believe, because Henderson got hurt right before the tourney started. And, they still almost advanced as far as the year before.

Reactions: jet812
They only reached the Elite Eight, I believe, because Henderson got hurt right before the tourney started. And, they still almost advanced as far as the year before.
No doubt that was a big blow, but RMK teams were 1-5 vs Kansas, including a loss against them earlier that same season in Indianapolis, so having Henderson may not have made the difference…

Reactions: ulrey
No doubt that was a big blow, but RMK teams were 1-5 vs Kansas, including a loss against them earlier that same season in Indianapolis, so having Henderson may not have made the difference…

i made up my mind long ago that Henderson's knee kept us from #6 and i'm sticking w it. lol

that was my first senior year at IU.

Reactions: Falky22

I'm setting the bar slightly above what it will take for Woody to maintain more than just the Cook Corporations support. So far he's checked all of Pete Yonkmans boxes. The only thing that will make this season ugly is if Woody doesn't react to Reneau and Mgbakos inability to be perimeter defenders. I've always considered a players position on the court to be determined by what role they could successfully guard defensively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT