ADVERTISEMENT

Lawsuit Against Gun Store

He obviously passed a background check. Nothing he bought was illegal. The guy behind the counter either answered his questions about how to hold and load the weapon safely or took the initiative to make sure he knew how to do it.

How was the shop supposed to know that he had bad intentions, just because he was nervous or acted "oddly"? The shop had no way of knowing that the guy had attempted suicide or was taking meds and undergoing therapy for mental health issues.

Last edited:
The shop had no way of knowing that the guy had attempted suicide or was taking meds and undergoing therapy for mental health issues.
Would you be ok from a privacy standpoint if this information was available to gun store owners either masked (via providing a decisioning system) or unmasked (allowing the store themselves to make the call)?

Would you be ok from a privacy standpoint if this information was available to gun store owners either masked (via providing a decisioning system) or unmasked (allowing the store themselves to make the call)?
What the seller knew or should have known is the question. Much depends on the witness who saw the transaction.

Reactions: larsIU
There's a lot of info that's already supposed to be available thru the NICS background check system such as mental health (among many other things). That's why I framed the the question with the statement that he underwent the background check. The shop did nothing illegal and used the tools to verify that this individual wasn't prohibited from purchasing a firearm. This is probably one of the few times I agree with Giffords Law Center.

@CO. Hoosier

Louisville gun shop employee taught Old National Bank shooter how to hold, load AR-15, lawsuit claims
https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisvill...cle_480dc178-b962-11ee-83b7-8f19f7927d5c.html
He had to be suffering from CTE.

It still underscores has exceedingly simple it is to buy a gun, that maybe the way to stymie situations like this is to make everyone wait to come into possession something is designed to kill. You 'law abiding' folks can wait a little while.

Connor suffered multiple concussions playing basketball, including one that caused him to have be in a halo brace. He also played for awhile having to wear a helmet. I knew him as a player, and I've known his father for over 20 years. He was an assistant for Royce Waltman at Indianapolis when we met.

As much as it was him that brought all this on to other families, I still can't help but feel so badly for his parents who also dealing with the loss of their child as well as the guilt of his actions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

It still underscores has exceedingly simple it is to buy a gun, that maybe the way to stymie situations like this is to make everyone wait to come into possession something is designed to kill. You 'law abiding' folks can wait a little while.

Connor suffered multiple concussions playing basketball, including one that caused him to have be in a halo brace. He also played for awhile having to wear a helmet. I knew him as a player, and I've known his father for over 20 years. He was an assistant for Royce Waltman at Indianapolis when we met.

As much as it was him that brought all this on to other families, I still can't help but feel so badly for his parents who also dealing with the loss of their child as well as the guilt of his actions.
Tremendously tragic. CTE is terrifying.

They were interviewed in the early days after the event. Not the typical parents of a mass shooter - not the typical mass shooter.

He was a kid who had been getting counseling and psychological medical help. He should have been disqualified from gun purchases - but the fear that folks will forego psychological help if it "costs" them things like gun rights (sort of like how old people won't go the doctor if they fear losing their driving licenses) prevented any such "red flag" in the current laws.

are concussions common in basketball?

I had one in an unorganized 8th grade pre-school-bell game. Big pick - hit the floor - head snapped back - woke up surrounded by gawky girls
Called it getting your bell rung! I had a horrible one in 8th grade too. Dumbest shit ever. Our high school team had a conflict so we had to practice at a grade school down the street. No idea what I was doing but ran full speed into a tree. Literally a tree. Was bad

They were interviewed in the early days after the event. Not the typical parents of a mass shooter - not the typical mass shooter.

He was a kid who had been getting counseling and psychological medical help. He should have been disqualified from gun purchases - but the fear that folks will forego psychological help if it "costs" them things like gun rights (sort of like how old people won't go the doctor if they fear losing their driving licenses) prevented any such "red flag" in the current laws.
And not an outcast either, not someone who was bullied, not that it's a justifiable excuse, but whether it's mass shootings or street violence, there is always a tipping point for that person.

Well...I'd be willing to bet I hold a very weird record, though I never coached Sturgeon. I've coached two players (four years each) who had to wear helmets while playing in college, John Peckinpaugh (IPFW) and Kendall Griffin (Wright State). Both had concussions in high school. Both were physical players and suffered multiple concussions in college.

In Griffin's case, he suffered two concussions in high school. He played football and basketball at Avon. Both of his concussions were in basketball. The first one came during his sophomore year about a month in. The second one came the second day of practice.

Griffin is now an IP attorney, making good money. Peckingpaugh is the head coach at Kokomo HS.

Common? Not nearly as common as football and hockey, which are collision sports, but I think every week there is an NBA players who enters concussion protocol. In the NFL you might get one per team per week, if not slightly more.

Well...I'd be willing to bet I hold a very weird record, though I never coached Sturgeon. I've coached two players (four years each) who had to wear helmets while playing in college, John Peckinpaugh (IPFW) and Kendall Griffin (Wright State). Both had concussions in high school. Both were physical players and suffered multiple concussions in college.

In Griffin's case, he suffered two concussions in high school. He played football and basketball at Avon. Both of his concussions were in basketball. The first one came during his sophomore year about a month in. The second one came the second day of practice.

Griffin is now an IP attorney, making good money. Peckingpaugh is the head coach at Kokomo HS.

Common? Not nearly as common as football and hockey, which are collision sports, but I think every week there is an NBA players who enters concussion protocol. In the NFL you might get one per team per week, if not slightly more.
That is a weird record. Did they wear rugby helmets?

_104306262__104273981_graham_getty.jpg

Like this?

That is a weird record. Did they wear rugby helmets?
Peck wore a sparring head gear. KG wore one of those things football players put over their helmet. KG didn't much the season he had to wear it, which was his senior year.

KG was just unlucky. Peck was borderline crazy on the court. I loved coaching both of them. Peckinpaugh has been my dirtiest player. LOL

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Todd is a great guy, Conner did not have CTE, but definitely was mentally ill.

Todd is a great guy, Conner did not have CTE, but definitely was mentally ill.
Do they know that for sure? I'm assuming he was tested, and I really have had no desire to ask Todd questions. I don't know him like that, strictly basketball -- even though there were a lot of texts dealing with his injury, about their tough games and kids in the area.

I had three that I know of.

My first one was junior year where I went up for a rebound and got undercut and landing directly on my head. Only reason I know what happened is because I saw the tape of it. Missed a week of school and had an er visit for that one.

My senior year, they cut up a headband and sewed a bunch of padding in the back so I had protection for the back of my head because I kept hitting the back of my head on the floor while taking charges.

I had three that I know of.

My first one was junior year where I went up for a rebound and got undercut and landing directly on my head. Only reason I know what happened is because I saw the tape of it. Missed a week of school and had an er visit for that one.

My senior year, they cut up a headband and sewed a bunch of padding in the back so I had protection for the back of my head because I kept hitting the back of my head on the floor while taking charges.
I’ve seen enough. All of the board’s liberals have CTE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT