ADVERTISEMENT

Last "Quarter" of Season - Possible Paths

One more thing you've said that's not true. It was shown years ago that recruits read these sites to gauge the fans support or just to find out what's going on. They may not make their final decision based on the internet but in todays world what's so crazy about that? But you don't care. That is not why you are here...

Recruits aren’t signing on or jumping ship based on the ramblings of a bunch of loonies on a fan message board. Does it not occur to you that what a coach shows on the field and any improvement in his team is what recruits value? Why do you think players de-commit? They get offers from better programs that show an upward trajectory.

I care because I go to games, am present and in my seat and think we can do better. I don’t sit from my couch and pontificate to others about their attendance. I’m there, I care and want to see it improve but am not so blind that I think everything is hunky dory and if we just stick with the way things are, we’ll catch a break and everything improves.

You attend games?

that is surprising given your hate, where do you sit?

You attend games?

that is surprising given your hate, where do you sit?
You confuse hate with a strong desire to see the program rise above stupidity.
East Side - Section 29

I’d argue that you are the real hater. You are smiling there, pretending everything is on the right path to watch the program smolder. Your complacency is what sabotages programs from achieving more. If enough people pretend this is acceptable, what incentive does an AD have to change?

Change happens with empty seats and complaints, not rah-rah.

Reactions: bang63
East Side - Section 29

I’d argue that you are the real hater. You are smiling there, pretending everything is on the right path to watch the program smolder. Your complacency is what sabotages programs from achieving more. If enough people pretend this is acceptable, what incentive does an AD have to change?

You have mistaken me for someone else.

Where do you sit?
Maybe your section is watching a different game than my vantage point?
Not trying to be a wise guy, but just asking a legitimate question. Would you be ok with firing Allen at the end of this season if it meant losing an entire recruiting class and having a bunch of young guys transfer ? What if that bunch included Penix and the other Florida guys who came all the way to Bloomington, Indiana specifically to play for Tom Allen and his staff ?

Not trying to be a wise guy, but just asking a legitimate question. Would you be ok with firing Allen at the end of this season if it meant losing an entire recruiting class and having a bunch of young guys transfer ? What if that bunch included Penix and the other Florida guys who came all the way to Bloomington, Indiana specifically to play for Tom Allen and his staff ?

I would be okay with taking a chance losing some kids if it meant we got competent leadership. For all anybody knows, Penix might think he has a better shot under a new staff?
Maybe he feels like he was wasted from the beginning?
Let’s say some kids leave with a new staff. I can guarantee you that if you got a solid coach with a staff to come with him and what remains, you would see the same (if not better results).
Bring in a Matt Wells from Utsh State or a guy like Neal Brown, both who are used to playing big names and they would have just as good a chance. Why? Because they know how to do it with the hand they are dealt.
Brown upset LSU at their place last year and went into Nebraska and won this year. I’ve been to Troy’s campus. It is nothing. You get that kind of guy in here who plays solid tough football and has his team in control with an edge to them and they would do great things at IU.
We have a staff that may be recruiting a bit better but they are not sound, they kill themselves at the worst time. Look disinterested the rest of the time. That’s coaching. We have a guy not getting much of anything out of what he has. There ARE coaches out there who can do that and you se several of them at G5 schools all the time.

I heard 2nd hand yesterday from someone who is a family member of a starter on this year’s team that TA has completely lost the faith of the players. Apparently he’s nice (but “weird”), but the players don’t have faith in his football knowledge. Said some of the stuff they hear and do is just dumb.

I won’t say any more and I’m sure some won’t believe it, but it was pretty concerning stuff. And not just a reserve player upset about PT.

If we lose tomorrow...100%. Clean house.

This roster is better than that. We're wasting their talent, and the players I've talked to echo that statement.

They're getting their asses beat by inferior opponents because of coaching, and they know it.

THAT'S why they quit on this season. Why try when you have no confidence in the driver of the program?

Reactions: fpeaugh
If we lose tomorrow...100%. Clean house.

This roster is better than that. We're wasting their talent, and the players I've talked to echo that statement.

They're getting their asses beat by inferior opponents because of coaching, and they know it.

THAT'S why they quit on this season. Why try when you have no confidence in the driver of the program?
Just a question: was the 4th quarter of the Minny game an example of the team quitting on the season?

East Side - Section 29

I can agree on a few areas that lots of people can see: IU blew 2 games, attendance is down, Team has been flat at times.

But I disagree the where’s are totally off the bus. (Though I also admit IU could really use the win today vs MD).

Penix could have played earlier perhaps, but Allen used him vs PSU and had he not gotten injured (which was a fluke, but NOT a coaching error) I bet he would have finished out the season. That’s a bummer, but he will get to RS and I say he will be starting next year game 1.

Big playmakers make a difference. You think Brohm would be killing it this year exact same without his RB? I don’t. So Penix (with James) could be huge game changers next year.

You remember how fast Allen switched S/C coaches after last season? I believe he is going to tweak the staff after this year. (If DeBord retires as some speculated, then he will have to anyway) but the man has shown he will adjust at seasons end and also that he can recruit.

Last year with no bowl, they landed a class that has about 14 contributing this season in meaningful ways. He & staff hit road in week 8 all over country and I predict another solid class this season.

If the talent keeps rising and IU gets the signature win, fans will come. But there are simply many fans who don’t see a team quittting, who realize Penix got hurt right when he was going to likely start, that recruiting is on great track and this isn’t as bad as Hazel (even if I say yet anyway).

I don’t even blow no at not wanting to fire Allen now even if go 0-3 this season. He recruited Penix and deserves a year with a RS FR starting season with him and 2 yrs of his own recruits to make some strides.

And IF IU were to beat MD & upset win Bucket to go bowling, then you owe a big mea culpa and this discussion would clearly be over.

Think bottom line is short term impatience and high negativity is really annoying to people who share the frustration, know it’s not perfect but can take a longer than 1.75 season view to give a passionate leader the chance to succeed in a program that basically has no tradition of winning. He is in HIS 2nd season. Give it a cup of coffee worth of time to better develop!

Reactions: IUCol
Dude - in Hazell’s final year, they were getting that type of attendance. You don’t think that a coaching change brings back the fence sitters? Those are the fans that come back to see what the new guy has to offer. They know what to expect with the current regime. It’s why they stay away. A new coach always gets an uptick in seats. They have no impact on me because I am there regardless. It’s the casual fan you have to worry about. Look no further than our basketball team. As Crean started to crater that final year, less showed. Not as dramatic a drop but fans showed their displeasure by not showing. The diehards will be there, like me. I’m not who you have to worry about.

Let me ask you a question?
Do you personally go to IU football games? I think I know the answer and also know that you would give your left nut to be at every basketball game. So, since you don’t go, you don’t have any reason to be in this conversation, respectfully Scott.
I would be there every game if I could afford it but being a single father with two kid sin college it is hard to do. I watch or listen to every game and have done so for over 40 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT