ADVERTISEMENT

Last "Quarter" of Season - Possible Paths

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Start worst to best:

-If go 0-3, it will be major bummer, bad momentum to end the season and head into recruiting. It will get the already restless (though very impatient by nature) "fire them all" types out and about, claiming Allen can't coach at all, program is worst it's ever been, etc.

Reality: it would be highly disappointing any way slice it, especially since PSU and MN games were likely should have been won games. And hard to beleive MD wouldn't have been (post here is before the game) and ANY bucket game should be a winnable on the table opportunity.

-If go 1-2: will be still bummer no bowl game for a 2nd straight season, again, SHOULD have won at least one other game and still leads to frustration, bummed fan base for no bowl and more lost/missed opportunities, etc.

Reality: Only slightly better than 0-3, but if beat MD (or PU) only, seemingly some positive to be taken, didn't regress in terms of total wins, and they didn't go ofer after the bye week to end the year.

-If go 2-1 (or somehow 3-0) - have to believe MOST (Save for the truly anti-Allen negative nellies) will say "great to be back in a bowl, they showed some grit to come back and win two including the Bucket and beating a better PU team, and the team did not quit. Would help in recruiting, sense of momentum and positive way to end the season that would show slow (and still frustrating) progress in the right direction, knowing a lot of young players this year will keep getting better.

I'm not delusional, getting to two games is a long shot as of this writing. But one game at a time, if beat MD, obviously doubt a UM win on the road, but to me, for the Bucket game and bowl eligibility, all bets are off, IU could definitely rise to the occasion and pull off the upset that would be a HUGE win for the program.

You know where I stand, I'm all for IU and yes, giving Allen at least 4 yrs to show progress (though a 3-4 win 3rd year campaign would be harder to justify progress I admit.) Even if they win 2 and go bowling, I'd like to see some staff changes. And though I truly appreciate Ramsey, I'm 100% all in for Penix as starter next year. Think he will be a game changer for the program.

Start worst to best:

-If go 0-3, it will be major bummer, bad momentum to end the season and head into recruiting. It will get the already restless (though very impatient by nature) "fire them all" types out and about, claiming Allen can't coach at all, program is worst it's ever been, etc.

Reality: it would be highly disappointing any way slice it, especially since PSU and MN games were likely should have been won games. And hard to beleive MD wouldn't have been (post here is before the game) and ANY bucket game should be a winnable on the table opportunity.

-If go 1-2: will be still bummer no bowl game for a 2nd straight season, again, SHOULD have won at least one other game and still leads to frustration, bummed fan base for no bowl and more lost/missed opportunities, etc.

Reality: Only slightly better than 0-3, but if beat MD (or PU) only, seemingly some positive to be taken, didn't regress in terms of total wins, and they didn't go ofer after the bye week to end the year.

-If go 2-1 (or somehow 3-0) - have to believe MOST (Save for the truly anti-Allen negative nellies) will say "great to be back in a bowl, they showed some grit to come back and win two including the Bucket and beating a better PU team, and the team did not quit. Would help in recruiting, sense of momentum and positive way to end the season that would show slow (and still frustrating) progress in the right direction, knowing a lot of young players this year will keep getting better.

I'm not delusional, getting to two games is a long shot as of this writing. But one game at a time, if beat MD, obviously doubt a UM win on the road, but to me, for the Bucket game and bowl eligibility, all bets are off, IU could definitely rise to the occasion and pull off the upset that would be a HUGE win for the program.

You know where I stand, I'm all for IU and yes, giving Allen at least 4 yrs to show progress (though a 3-4 win 3rd year campaign would be harder to justify progress I admit.) Even if they win 2 and go bowling, I'd like to see some staff changes. And though I truly appreciate Ramsey, I'm 100% all in for Penix as starter next year. Think he will be a game changer for the program.
I honestly don't give a shit about the "anti-Allen negative nellies." They're irrelevant. What I do care about is recruiting and momentum. We need at least one W in these last three.

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1
I honestly don't give a shit about the "anti-Allen negative nellies." They're irrelevant. What I do care about is recruiting and momentum. We need at least one W in these last three.

I don’t care for or about them either, other than find him draining in general.

It’s pretty clear a win is overdue and needed. And would help make Bucket game more exciting and yes recruiting would be greatly aided.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Again...win three its a breakout, win two its redemption, win one its disappointment, win none its an indictment...

But we will live through it in any case...this is about recruiting more than anything. Too late for this season to be much else...but a bowl would sure ease the pain...vbg

Start worst to best:

Good post...

Without the bye we would be doomed IMO 0-3. The bye couldn't have come at a better time. It gives us a fighting chance. If we have truly reloaded from it and play like we did at the beginning of the season (we played alot of mistake free football to start) we should be in good shape. The games we could have won were all from our own mistakes, we beat ourselves.

1st off we need to come out with some fire and not so damn flat.
Ramsey needs to get the ball downfield.
If we are running zone schemes with cutback runners which we have the past couple weeks we will be better off with a speed back rather than Stevie.

On defense LB play has got to improve tremendously which means in order to do that the D-Line has to stay disciplined and stay in gaps so they can start running downhill making plays. If that doesn't improve then we are asking corners and safeties to make open field tackles again which will not be good. Also regarding the D-line a pass rush would certainly help our corners out.

Many question marks. We'll all find out Saturday at noon.

Reactions: ESalum86
Good post...

Without the bye we would be doomed IMO 0-3. The bye couldn't have come at a better time. It gives us a fighting chance. If we have truly reloaded from it and play like we did at the beginning of the season (we played alot of mistake free football to start) we should be in good shape. The games we could have won were all from our own mistakes, we beat ourselves.

If we are running zone schemes with cutback runners which we have the past couple weeks we will be better off with a speed back rather than Stevie.

On defense LB play has got to improve tremendously which means in order to do that the D-Line has to stay disciplined and stay in gaps so they can start running downhill making plays. If that doesn't improve then we are asking corners and safeties to make open field tackles again which will not be good. Also regarding the D-line a pass rush would certainly help our corners out.

A month ago I had a sense of dread that the bye was coming one or two weeks too late. I think with a bye in front of either PSU or Minnesota we could have won either or both of those games - especially Minnesota. A road game following a short week of prep was a recipe for disaster given our history. Not making excuses for those two losses at all, just stating that this team is not good enough to overcome mistakes or slow starts and not deep enough to withstand nine straight weeks of play.

The fact that our players didn't tank under the circumstances at Minnesota (remember the Wisky game in Lynch's last year) gives me some hope. I'm sure our players also realize there is still a bowl game at stake and this game is the most winnable of the three. Hopefully we respond.

Good post...

One realistic outcome I have caught wind of is the HC may voluntarily step down at season’s end. The emotional toll that many close to him are noticing has lead to some speculation that he may voluntarily seek other opportunities back in a coordinator role. Do not be surprised if this is a potential because this season has greatly impacted his mindset right now. I’ve had three folks close to the program mention that there were some things about voluntarily stepping down.

One realistic outcome I have caught wind of is the HC may voluntarily step down at season’s end. The emotional toll that many close to him are noticing has lead to some speculation that he may voluntarily seek other opportunities back in a coordinator role. Do not be surprised if this is a potential because this season has greatly impacted his mindset right now. I’ve had three folks close to the program mention that there were some things about voluntarily stepping down.
Thats some pretty big news right there...seriously?

I've had that poster on "ignore" for about a week (only the second time I've used that feature), but your reference to "big news" prompted me to take a look.

Idle speculation, baseless rumors, and supposed "inside information" are hardly new to sports message boards, but this guy has taken that to a new low. The ambiguity ("do not be surprised if this is a potential," not "do not be surprised if this happens;" "three folks close to the program mentioned there were some things about voluntarily stepping down" - - what does that even mean?) is classic.

This poster claims to have had an epiphany about IU football in recent weeks, and is now enlightened. My plea then, to the enlightened one, is to identify one or more of your anonymous sources. Don't worry, though, I'm not holding my breath.

This is perhaps the most reckless and irresponsible post I've seen in my two years here. This guy is scary, and seriously unhinged.

I've had that poster on "ignore" for about a week (only the second time I've used that feature), but your reference to "big news" prompted me to take a look.

Idle speculation, baseless rumors, and supposed "inside information" are hardly new to sports message boards, but this guy has taken that to a new low. The ambiguity ("do not be surprised if this is a potential," not "do not be surprised if this happens;" "three folks close to the program mentioned there were some things about voluntarily stepping down" - - what does that even mean?) is classic.

This poster claims to have had an epiphany about IU football in recent weeks, and is now enlightened. My plea then, to the enlightened one, is to identify one or more of your anonymous sources. Don't worry, though, I'm not holding my breath.

This is perhaps the most reckless and irresponsible post I've seen in my two years here. This guy is scary, and seriously unhinged.

Obvious pu troll..., may be one of the 3 or 4 active handles of the same guy using multiple servers... Sad case...

Reactions: Bowlmania
CC why would you even say this...even if you honestly think this is true? I accused the other day in a post of acting like a PU fan...trying to do as much damage as possible. I have plenty of complaints but the stop at hurting our chances of winning or hurting the future. Are you a Putin operative...vbg? I mean, if you want to kill recruiting, just go post that stuff all over the internet and you'll help get that done. Come on man...save this vitriol until after the last game...please for your own and everyone's sake...its crazy. Just think it through...and if it comes up the same you'd better consider you aren't an IU FB fan any more. You're something else and better off to give up college FB in general or go find another team to mash up.

Reactions: NatHillIV and td75
Obvious pu troll..., may be one of the 3 or 4 active handles of the same guy using multiple servers... Sad case...
Good point. There's another poster with "CC" in his user name. That would be a pretty easy giveaway but, then again, "genius" isn't this guy's middle name.

It’s reported from 2 folks very close to the football team and 1 with connections to the athletic department. I, for one, hope it’s merely speculation but let’s just say some comments were made by some close to CTA and passed along. We need to hang on to the recruiting class. In any event, you can fully expect a new OC next year. The retirement thing will be announced but some of that hinges on performance in the last 3 games. There may be a change regardless if we get to a bowl or not. That started to surface following the Minny game. I think we are good with most recruits but Sampson James is a wild card.

Not saying its going to happen, but I wouldn't totally discount it. I had the same thought after I heard his interview with Fish after the Minny game. It didn't sound good. Sounded pretty much like after the Purdue game last year.

Anything worse than 2-1 is completely unacceptable and I believe will lead to a new HC. The path this year to 7-8 wins was as easy as it’ll ever be for IU.

And those who think the only “negative nellies” are a few people on this board need to get out more. It’s the mindset of most casual fans. This is crushing any momentum we had in growing the fan base.

Tom Allen isn't going anywhere, even if he finishes out the season 0-3. That's just not going to happen.

Indiana isn't Texas. Fred Glass isn't going to replace a football coach after two disappointing seasons.

You know better than that.

Anything worse than 2-1 is completely unacceptable and I believe will lead to a new HC. The path this year to 7-8 wins was as easy as it’ll ever be for IU.

And those who think the only “negative nellies” are a few people on this board need to get out more. It’s the mindset of most casual fans. This is crushing any momentum we had in growing the fan base.
Each and every one of us here has his own definition of what is unacceptable. There is no question that we should have been bowl eligible (if we in fact are not) but I have to disagree about finishing 2-1. Maryland is a team we should beat at home, but losses to Michigan and Purdue should not be a surprise to anyone. Michigan might well be the best team in the entire B1G and Purdue is damn good (as much as it pains me to say it). I have no expectation that we should beat either, and beating either one would be a major upset.

As for TA, he is going nowhere unless he chooses to do so. He is not going to be fired this year, and probably not next year unless the wheels come completely off. Regardless of what fans think, IU is going to honor his contract through next year and probably through year four barring an incident or a scandal.

Reactions: IUCol
Not saying its going to happen, but I wouldn't totally discount it. I had the same thought after I heard his interview with Fish after the Minny game. It didn't sound good. Sounded pretty much like after the Purdue game last year.
I would've been despondent, as head coach, after the Minnesota game too. When you're coaching at this level, every season and, indeed, every game is an emotional roller coaster.

I would totally discount it. And the other poster's suggestion that DeBord is likely gone is about as bold a prediction as me saying the sun will rise tomorrow.

My nieces best friend told her that she knows a close friend of the girl who occasionally walks the Glass family dog (when they can't get home early enough) and she said..., she thought she overheard Fred speaking to someone on the phone (that she thought might be Tom Allen) and... (**-breathless-pause-**) that she heard....., Fred say........, "bye"...!!!!!!!!:confused:

Guess that means he's a goner...:eek: (DWS);)

Wow, the rumor mill is obviously in overdrive. I could see Tom stepping down because frankly, it was Fred Glass who heaped the head job upon him.

I like TA but he certainly seems to be in over his head. We all sit here and make these comments about firing so and so. Guess what, that's easier said than done, Mallory couldn't find it in himself to do it. You've got to be able to do that and I don't know if TA is cut out for that.

Last edited:
The fact that we’re expected to lose to Purdue because they’re a good team and we’re not is unacceptable. When both coaches were hired at the same time and Allen had a huge head start.

You've been a negative nellie poster boy for awhile now. Brought CC down into the dark side as well.

Bye Felicia!

Does the term "Jumped the Shark" mean anything to CC? Wow.

The fact that we’re expected to lose to Purdue because they’re a good team and we’re not is unacceptable. When both coaches were hired at the same time and Allen had a huge head start.
What's unacceptable to you (or me) doesn't mean diddly-squat when it comes to Tom Allen's job security. We're all free to be pissed off, stop going to games, bombard message boards, or howl at the moon but none of it matters until Fred Glass or the BOT decides Allen needs to go. If that happens this year or even next (barring a 2 or 3-win season) I'll be shocked.

Reactions: NatHillIV
What's unacceptable to you (or me) doesn't mean diddly-squat when it comes to Tom Allen's job security. We're all free to be pissed off, stop going to games, bombard message boards, or howl at the moon but none of it matters until Fred Glass or the BOT decides Allen needs to go. If that happens this year or even next (barring a 2 or 3-win season) I'll be shocked.
The worst Allen can be after two seasons is 9-15. That's considerably better than Wilson's first two at 5-19.

I agree. He's around at least through 2020.

The worst Allen can be after two seasons is 9-15. That's considerably better than Wilson's first two at 5-19.

I agree. He's around at least through 2020.

Well that's not really a fair comparison...Allen followed Wilson, was coming off back-to-back bowl seasons and was already part of the staff. Wilson followed...Lynch. If Allen had to start where Wilson did, he may not have won a game yet.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Well that's not really a fair comparison...Allen followed Wilson, was coming off back-to-back bowl seasons and was already part of the staff. Wilson followed...Lynch. If Allen had to start where Wilson did, he may not have won a game yet.
Well the 2016 bowl season that Allen followed as HC was a bowl season only because of Allen as DC. Indiana's offense and recruiting were in a decline at the end of Wilson's tenure, and the 2016 team would've been no better than 4-8 if Knorr had still been running the defense. And everybody loves to point to the 83-20 loss in Lynch's last season, but that team was a dropped Demarlo Belcher TD pass away from going bowling. The 2010 Hoosiers were hardly world beaters, but it wasn't a shit show either. It became one the next year, though, under Wilson, at 1-11.

Make no mistake that Fred will be very in tune with attendance. Dinardo has numbers dipping to 22,000 for home games. Tomorrow will likely see that level. If that holds true going forward, the guy has no choice but to start looking. Fred cannot sit on his hands with a bunch of improvements to the stadium and see a 40% attendance mark. CTA won’t survive that. Numbers talk and if the attendance is that low, he’d be foolish to let that ride for 2 more years. Just not the way it works. He will have all sorts of pressure to fix that and that happens by removing the head coach.

Make no mistake that Fred will be very in tune with attendance. Dinardo has numbers dipping to 22,000 for home games. Tomorrow will likely see that level. If that holds true going forward, the guy has no choice but to start looking. Fred cannot sit on his hands with a bunch of improvements to the stadium and see a 40% attendance mark. CTA won’t survive that. Numbers talk and if the attendance is that low, he’d be foolish to let that ride for 2 more years. Just not the way it works. He will have all sorts of pressure to fix that and that happens by removing the head coach.

Why do you care...

I'll give you a tip to help you on your way: If you want to watch your hero coach next season buy Louisville season tickets...

I thought a couple of weeks ago you said you were done with IU sports but you are still here. What coach would come to a school that has a fan base where you only get 25,000 for a conference home game. Might want to think about it before you want whole sale changes because if you make a change now you will not get an improvement in coaching and probably would take a step back. If I was real good up and coming coach I would think twice about going to programs like IU or ay program like us because more than likely it will be the death of your career.

I thought a couple of weeks ago you said you were done with IU sports but you are still here. What coach would come to a school that has a fan base where you only get 25,000 for a conference home game. Might want to think about it before you want whole sale changes because if you make a change now you will not get an improvement in coaching and probably would take a step back. If I was real good up and coming coach I would think twice about going to programs like IU or ay program like us because more than likely it will be the death of your career.

Dude - in Hazell’s final year, they were getting that type of attendance. You don’t think that a coaching change brings back the fence sitters? Those are the fans that come back to see what the new guy has to offer. They know what to expect with the current regime. It’s why they stay away. A new coach always gets an uptick in seats. They have no impact on me because I am there regardless. It’s the casual fan you have to worry about. Look no further than our basketball team. As Crean started to crater that final year, less showed. Not as dramatic a drop but fans showed their displeasure by not showing. The diehards will be there, like me. I’m not who you have to worry about.

Let me ask you a question?
Do you personally go to IU football games? I think I know the answer and also know that you would give your left nut to be at every basketball game. So, since you don’t go, you don’t have any reason to be in this conversation, respectfully Scott.

Last edited:
Why do you care...

I'll give you a tip to help you on your way: If you want to watch your hero coach next season buy Louisville season tickets...

I care because I go to games, am present and in my seat and think we can do better. I don’t sit from my couch and pontificate to others about their attendance. I’m there, I care and want to see it improve but am not so blind that I think everything is hunky dory and if we just stick with the way things are, we’ll catch a break and everything improves.

Well the 2016 bowl season that Allen followed as HC was a bowl season only because of Allen as DC. Indiana's offense and recruiting were in a decline at the end of Wilson's tenure, and the 2016 team would've been no better than 4-8 if Knorr had still been running the defense. And everybody loves to point to the 83-20 loss in Lynch's last season, but that team was a dropped Demarlo Belcher TD pass away from going bowling. The 2010 Hoosiers were hardly world beaters, but it wasn't a shit show either. It became one the next year, though, under Wilson, at 1-11.

2010 was enough of a shit show to cost Lynch his job. You left out the part about Indiana's only Big Ten win that year coming on the last game of the season, an overtime win vs. Purdue. (After it was already determined Lynch wouldn't be coming back) And that victory marked only the third conference win in three years. By comparison, Wilson won 4 Big Ten games in his last year. He also had to play nine conference games, something Lynch thankfully never had to do. The Hoosier roster and recruiting by the time Lynch was shown the door was an unmitigated disaster forcing Wilson to essentially build from the ground up. Spin it however you'd like, Allen started in a much better position than Wilson did. At least to the point where their first two years shouldn't be compared. This really isn't even debatable.

I care because I go to games, am present and in my seat and think we can do better. I don’t sit from my couch and pontificate to others about their attendance. I’m there, I care and want to see it improve but am not so blind that I think everything is hunky dory and if we just stick with the way things are, we’ll catch a break and everything improves.

If that is true then I can tell you this: if you actually think all the negative stuff you've thrown up on here lately is helping in any way you're mistaken...

The pu trolls must love your support however...

If that is true then I can tell you this: if you actually think all the negative stuff you've thrown up on here lately is helping in any way you're mistaken...

It’s a fan message board. It has no effect on our team or other teams. If it does, shame on them. Good coaches teach their players to steer clear of taking a bunch of stuff from any form of media and letting it affect them. All good teams hunker down and isolate and focus on what they can control.
This is a fan message board. It doesn’t create or contribute to the IU shit show whatsoever. Fans thinking it has some profound influence are living in their own parallel universe. My negativity or you continued excuse-laden sunshine pumping will have zero effect on how we play tomorrow. Zilch. Nada.

Yeah, I think it's only a matter of time until he changes his name from Crimson Crush to Man Crush. He's definitely got a thing for Brohm.

Yeah, I think it's only a matter of time until he changes his name from Crimson Crush to Man Crush. He's definitely got a thing for Brohm.

I have no crush on Jeff Brohm other than to say that the guy is a helluva coach and Purdue hit the jackpot. He cannot be gone soon enough because as long as he’s there, IU will be his bitch.

The fact that our own success relies on the departure of another coach rather than beating them straight up is a sad commentary. You guys have a man crush on a guy that has taken any limited momentum we had, crumpled it up into a ball and thrown it into an LEO waste basket.

When Allen’s bunch show up tomorrow and turn in another uninspired performance and lose big, you’ll understand what many have seen since the middle of October. The boos will be reigning down when they mail it in.

If I am wrong and he actually motivates them to a well-coached performance, I’ll come on here and eat my words. I’ll be there cheering them on to prove me wrong.

It’s a fan message board. It has no effect on our team or other teams. If it does, shame on them. Good coaches teach their players to steer clear of taking a bunch of stuff from any form of media and letting it affect them. All good teams hunker down and isolate and focus on what they can control.
This is a fan message board. It doesn’t create or contribute to the IU shit show whatsoever. Fans thinking it has some profound influence are living in their own parallel universe. My negativity or you continued excuse-laden sunshine pumping will have zero effect on how we play tomorrow. Zilch. Nada.
One more thing you've said that's not true. It was shown years ago that recruits read these sites to gauge the fans support or just to find out what's going on. They may not make their final decision based on the internet but in todays world what's so crazy about that? But you don't care. That is not why you are here...

Reactions: IU Scott and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT