ADVERTISEMENT

Last opponents D efficiency

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
Our offense has really struggled lately. Interestingly our last few losses have been to teams that have offensive and defensive efficiency numbers that are somewhat balanced. In other words, we are imbalanced: Offense is very poor, D is good. Most I’m sure are aware that a team like Iowa is the opposite. The conference has several teams that have great offensive efficiency but with defensive efficiency rankings around 100.

this may not make anyone feel more confident about our offense, but it’s certainly possible we will have an easier time scoring against teams down the stretch. PU, OSU, MD, and MN are ranked 92nd-139th. It may not translate to wins.

I just don’t hear much discussion about the defensive efficiency rankings of teams like PU and OSU.

Last edited:
Our offense has really struggled lately. Interestingly our last few losses have been to teams that have offensive and defensive efficiency numbers that are somewhat balanced. In other words, we are imbalanced: Offense is very poor, D is good. Most I’m sure are aware that a team like Iowa is the opposite. The conference has several teams that have great offensive efficiency but with defensive efficiency rankings around 100.

this may not make anyone feel more confident about our offense, but it’s certainly possible we will have an easier time scoring against teams down the stretch. PU, OSU, MD, and MN are ranked 92nd-139th. It may not translate to wins.

I just don’t hear much discussion about the defensive efficiency rankings of teams like PU and OSU.

Spot on. Teams with average defenses can overcome with efficient offense. We are not shooting well enough consistently enough to win despite playing good (not great) defense.

This is my primary disappointment with this team, as I thought there were enough role players that someone from the wing or guard room would be able to step up in any given game to close the gap.

Spot on. Teams with average defenses can overcome with efficient offense. We are not shooting well enough consistently enough to win despite playing good (not great) defense.

This is my primary disappointment with this team, as I thought there were enough role players that someone from the wing or guard room would be able to step up in any given game to close the gap.
The jig is up. Other teams have exploited our weaknesses. We are the easiest team to guard in the B1G imho.

Look at the defensive efficiency rankings for the BT teams, and see who we have beat and lost to. Our record against the top defensive teams is very poor. It’s pretty good against the lowest ranked defensive teams (which includes PU and OSU). Now some of that is where we are playing, but IMO it may be more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT