ADVERTISEMENT

Last handful of possessions

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Trey shoots two 3s.

X shoots two outside shots.

Parker shoots a 26 foot shot, with a defender all over him…out of a time out.

Two problems.

1. We have ZERO players we can rely on to make plays in those situations. Rob is the closest thing, and he’s out.

2. Our coaching staff seems to have no ability and/or creativity to call good plays down the stretch. That’s what we get coming out of that timeout? Those are the guys we end up having take those shots coming down the stretch?

Our talent isn’t good. Sorry Cav, we’re just not very good top to bottom. And while I like a lot of what Woody brings to the program. He isn’t a coach that’s going to bring a lesser talented team along to wins.

You can’t run a ball screen offense with Kopp and Stewart. Throw in X jump shooting and you’re really screwed.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Trey shoots two 3s.

Two problems.

1. We have ZERO players we can rely on to make plays in those situations. Rob is the closest thing, and he’s out.

2. Our coaching staff seems to have no ability and/or creativity to call good plays down the stretch. That’s what we get coming out of that timeout? Those are the guys we end up having take those shots coming down the stretch?

Our talent isn’t good. Sorry Cav, we’re just not very good top to bottom. And while I like a lot of what Woody brings to the program. He isn’t a coach that’s going to bring a lesser talented team along to wins.
Can’t imagine that last play was how it was drawn up. We just don’t execute very well. And when there is adversity, we don’t have enough players who can overcome it.

Trey was the most willing shooter at the end there? Come on. That isn’t his game. Nobody with a killer instinct. I really hope one of these young players steps up. Or maybe we should isolate Race and let him make some plays at the end. TJD didn’t seem interested for some reason.

Reactions: BigMobe and mk24
Trey shoots two 3s.

Two problems.

But we were supposed to have an all star coaching staff. I am not seeing it

• Wow
Reactions: mk24 and IndyGlen
But we were supposed to have an all star coaching staff. I am not seeing it
Can only do so much with the makeup of this team. The players with the highest ceilings are young and raw. The most skilled players have limited fortitude or ceiling. We have had some great wins and some really close loses. This will be a season of what could have been barring a major spurt of great play these next couple of weeks.

Can only do so much with the makeup of this team. The players with the highest ceilings are young and raw. The most skilled players have limited fortitude or ceiling. We have had some great wins and some really close loses. This will be a season of what could have been barring a major spurt of great play these next couple of weeks.
From what I see we have 2 guys who could start on one of of the top teams in the conference. The rest would be benchwarmers or heck not even be on the team. Little talent and ho hum coaching.

From what I see we have 2 guys who could start on one of of the top teams in the conference. The rest would be benchwarmers or heck not even be on the team. Little talent and ho hum coaching.
I think the coaches are really good. We have a great staff and the administration is investing in the program. Woodson is a great coach and so is Fife. I am not so familiar with Hunter and Ya (?), but they seem like up and coming coaches who relate and can recruit.

Not a coaching issue IMO. Just watch and listen to Woodson. He has the right approach to this. You are right about our players. We have two that would start on top teams. And not even all top teams. I don’t care if you plug Phil Jackson in there. The coaches can’t execute for the players. This will clearly be another year or two, but the good news is we do have some players who I think will continue to grow and we will get better.

I think the coaches are really good. We have a great staff and the administration is investing in the program. Woodson is a great coach and so is Fife. I am not so familiar with Hunter and Ya (?), but they seem like up and coming coaches who relate and can recruit.

Not a coaching issue IMO. Just watch and listen to Woodson. He has the right approach to this. You are right about our players. We have two that would start on top teams. And not even all top teams. I don’t care if you plug Phil Jackson in there. The coaches can’t execute for the players. This will clearly be another year or two, but the good news is we do have some players who I think will continue to grow and we will get better.
I agree - Woodson seems like a great fit. Give him time dammit. I ****ing hate IU but I loved watching Woodson play and I think he “gets” it. Or continue chasing a fantasy. As a Purdue guy I’m good either way.

Reactions: BleedinGold

They are a year ahead of schedule and they will be fine. Playing with a couple or three place holders at the moment.

I am hopeful Woodson can turn this misery around. I assume he and his staff can recruit. So to that point what help is on the way because I ain't seeing much after TJD and Race. Who do you see on the roster now that could develop into a key contributor for us in the future? As a key contributor I mean someone who could start on one of the top 3 conference teams.

I am hopeful Woodson can turn this misery around. I assume he and his staff can recruit. So to that point what help is on the way because I ain't seeing much after TJD and Race. Who do you see on the roster now that could develop into a key contributor for us in the future? As a key contributor I mean someone who could start on one of the top 3 conference teams.
Trey is the most likely. But Bates and JG both have huge upside. I believe one of those two will click and become really good. Then you have guys like Leal and Landers who have the potential to be very solid players and possible starters in their Junior or Senior seasons. Hell even Duncomb has shown a flash. He can clearly shoot the rock. He just weighs about 8 pounds right now. Sky isn’t falling, but we have to improve through development and adding true talent.

Keep in mind that not a single one of these players played with this team, this defense, or this offense last year. That’s a lot of moving parts, and we MAY still sneak into the tourney. As pissed as I have been with this team, there is evidence of promising things to come. Hell, even X has had some really solid outings before his pure stupidity took over and got him suspended. That put us out of sorts along with Rob’s injury.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Trey is the most likely. But Bates and JG both have huge upside. I believe one of those two will click and become really good. Then you have guys like Leal and Landers who have the potential to be very solid players and possible starters in their Junior or Senior seasons. Hell even Duncomb has shown a flash. He can clearly shoot the rock. He just weighs about 8 pounds right now. Sky isn’t falling, but we have to improve through development and adding true talent.

Keep in mind that not a single one of these players played with this team, this defense, or this offense last year. That’s a lot of moving parts, and we MAY still sneak into the tourney. As pissed as I have been with this team, there is evidence of promising things to come. Hell, even X has had some really solid outings before his pure stupidity took over and got him suspended. That put us out of sorts along with Rob’s injury.
You had me up until “Duncomb”. Really? That kid hasn’t played a meaningful minute all season. It’s so bad that even in a game where we suspend five players, our reserve non-scholarship players sees playing time over him. The rest of your post made me laugh. Thanks because I needed it.

You had me up until “Duncomb”. Really? That kid hasn’t played a meaningful minute all season. It’s so bad that even in a game where we suspend five players, our reserve non-scholarship players sees playing time over him. The rest of your post made me laugh. Thanks because I needed it.
THAT is what you took away? I can’t help you then. Make up your own answer.

The last play notwithstanding (the look on Woodson’s face tells me it was broken) I actually thought we executed well down the stretch. Wisconsin was putting 4 in the paint and saying TJD and Race aren’t getting a shot with less than 2 people on them. TJD all night made the right passes and our offense got wide open looks. Obviously I am disappointed with the results but if we hit 1-2 of those shots with nobody on them and we win. We just didn’t. After Galloway missed a couple Woodson came back with Stewart and Kopp. Didn’t matter, they weren’t going to let those guys shoot. X got the open looks. He is a 36% shooter from 3. He just missed everything last night. Imo from a coaching standpoint we got great looks all night long. If X wasn’t 3 for 16 we win easily. Sucks but I thought we got the looks we wanted and expected other than that last dumb possession.

Reactions: bawlmer and .Gerdis
Can’t imagine that last play was how it was drawn up. We just don’t execute very well. And when there is adversity, we don’t have enough players who can overcome it.

Trey was the most willing shooter at the end there? Come on. That isn’t his game. Nobody with a killer instinct. I really hope one of these young players steps up. Or maybe we should isolate Race and let him make some plays at the end. TJD didn’t seem interested for some reason.
Maybe because TJD was too busy dealing with the 4 guys they had packing the paint?

Players can make a coach look great, good or bad depending on their ability to execute.
Woody had a good game plan utilizing the players he has available. Our players cannot execute at crunch time and keep piss poor officiating from beating them. They were beaten by an unreviewable call being overturned. They are not capable of overcoming adversity late.

Reactions: rocketo
The last play notwithstanding (the look on Woodson’s face tells me it was broken) I actually thought we executed well down the stretch. Wisconsin was putting 4 in the paint and saying TJD and Race aren’t getting a shot with less than 2 people on them. TJD all night made the right passes and our offense got wide open looks. Obviously I am disappointed with the results but if we hit 1-2 of those shots with nobody on them and we win. We just didn’t. After Galloway missed a couple Woodson came back with Stewart and Kopp. Didn’t matter, they weren’t going to let those guys shoot. X got the open looks. He is a 36% shooter from 3. He just missed everything last night. Imo from a coaching standpoint we got great looks all night long. If X wasn’t 3 for 16 we win easily. Sucks but I thought we got the looks we wanted and expected other than that last dumb possession.
Other than not being able to hit open 3s or FTs consistently, we ain’t bad.

Other than not being able to hit open 3s or FTs consistently, we ain’t bad.
Of course I agree. I guess my point was we executed the offense well. I don’t think the offense fell apart during the final possessions. You cant ask for better looks. We have to make some or we will lose.

Maybe because TJD was too busy dealing with the 4 guys they had packing the paint?
He forced the issue once and they fouled him. Refs were calling phantom fouls against the D. Make them blow the ****ing whistle.

First time poster ... I'm a Purdue fan but have been impressed with IU's growth this season and style its been playing with. My question would be why did TJD pass the ball out of the post in the final minute when he had it on the left block? Wisconsin couldn't guard him and he backed down from the moment late. I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: Beorik
They were beaten by an unreviewable call being overturned. They are not capable of overcoming adversity late.
Not an expert on the rules. I heard what Jay Bilas said, and maybe it shouldn’t have been reviewed. Just because he has never seen it happen, OTOH, doesn’t mean it wasn’t reviewable. I don’t know. The Wisky player did save it.

what got me angrier was the and one on the other end. should not have been continuation in the NCAAs.

Reactions: kkott
Not an expert on the rules. I heard what Jay Bilas said, and maybe it shouldn’t have been reviewed. Just because he has never seen it happen, OTOH, doesn’t mean it wasn’t reviewable. I don’t know. The Wisky player did save it.

what got me angrier was the and one on the other end. should not have been continuation in the NCAAs.
Agree: it should not have been reviewed (even though I also agree, it was WI ball), and that was not continuation. That was throwing it up after you hear the whistle and praying. And sometimes prayers are answered!

First time poster ... I'm a Purdue fan but have been impressed with IU's growth this season and style its been playing with. My question would be why did TJD pass the ball out of the post in the final minute when he had it on the left block? Wisconsin couldn't guard him and he backed down from the moment late. I'll hang up and listen.
Good question. This is just my opinion but if you go back and look at the last 3-5 games TJD has gotten into a bad habit of taking on double teams and forcing a shot with very little success. He had been shooting something like 34% inside of 5 feet the last 3-5 games. That was killing us.

I actually thought he made the best plays for the team most of the night. Could he have taken 2-3 more shots, sure. So imo he probably was trying to get us a good shot (which he did). But in a 1 possession game, he could certainly have forced the issue down the stretch a bit himself.

IU is just going to struggle to win games if X and Bates collectively go 3 for 21-ish. They are going to get open looks because of TJD and we need them to hit some.

Anyone catch Bilas in the first half after TJD (who was really good last night) missed a bunny? Something like, “well, you don’t see that very often”? He needs to watch more of our games 😉

Reactions: BigMobe and Beorik
Anyone catch Bilas in the first half after TJD (who was really good last night) missed a bunny? Something like, “well, you don’t see that very often”? He needs to watch more of our games 😉
I found myself saying that all night about Bilas and his talk of fouling. Has he never watched a Big Ten game? We literally see that type of contact every single game. I don’t know if I have watched a Big Ten game all year where every single driver or cutter has a body or forearm on them every second they are inside the 3 point line.

Reactions: .Gerdis

The last two minutes of many BIG games have become absolute officiating shit shows. IU is just not tough enough yet to overcome it.

Trey shoots two 3s.

Two problems.

Lander also made some boneheaded plays at both ends of the floor that triggered the Wisconsin run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT