ADVERTISEMENT

Lander & Jaden Smith visiting at PSU game, more

His 2nd class had 5 openings. I was going off rivals rankings, they are currently 36th. Having the 28th ranked class isn't impressive either.

It was a 2 man class until 2 spring defections and he filled one of those spots with Brunk. I've been critical that we didn't get at least 1 guard as a xfer or grad transfer, but those, like Brunk, generally aren't going to move the needle on class rankings. I'm grading him based on the type of hire he was and the situation he came in to. He's not a former NBA player who's built an AAU pipeline and he's not Calipari, and we're not UK. He got the 2 most important recruits on our radar, both McDs AA and Mr Bballs. When you're recruiting at the 5 star level you're going to have lots of misses and realistically I don't think he's had that many. At this point winning is what will improve recruiting imo. As I said, there are criticisms, but overall I think he's done pretty well with recruiting.

Thanks for the correction...........Like I said I never heard of him until yesterday. HSN has some nice recruiting threads, and I checked him out. I was shocked at how good he looked. Fast as hell, but also 'quick'....0 to 60; aggressive; can use both hands; quick release; shoots FTs like Alford; fearless; unselfish.
Smith is not physical enough for the B10, Plays against weak competition!

It was a 2 man class until 2 spring defections and he filled one of those spots with Brunk. I've been critical that we didn't get at least 1 guard as a xfer or grad transfer, but those, like Brunk, generally aren't going to move the needle on class rankings. I'm grading him based on the type of hire he was and the situation he came in to. He's not a former NBA player who's built an AAU pipeline and he's not Calipari, and we're not UK. He got the 2 most important recruits on our radar, both McDs AA and Mr Bballs. When you're recruiting at the 5 star level you're going to have lots of misses and realistically I don't think he's had that many. At this point winning is what will improve recruiting imo. As I said, there are criticisms, but overall I think he's done pretty well with recruiting.

One nit, it was a 3 man class until the 2 spring defections. No worries on the rest, we just disagree on it.

Leal will make it 3Mr. BBalls in a row. Lander is a strong IU lean now, and may commit by April. Your constant criticisms of Archie makes you and your other clubmembers look stupid.
Who is you source that says he is a strong iu lean? Just curious cause some say he loves louisville. Do you have an inside scoop? Do share if you do. We all want to know.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Who is you source that says he is a strong iu lean? Just curious cause some say he loves louisville. Do you have an inside scoop? Do share if you do. We all want to know.

Archie's visit the following day immediately after the UL visit was huge in cementing IU's commitment to KL. sidenote: If the small minority of morons would refrain from constantly spouting the "fire Archie" and the gloom and doom of the IU basketball, it would benefit the program. Despite what most say, it does matter in some situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Im4iu89 and Sassy61
I don't put people on ignore unless they make no contribution to discussions and only complain. I don't think you're to that level yet, but recruiting has been a strength of Archie overall. There's not much more he could have done really. Keion Brooks? OK, but it's obvious we weren't the program his Dad was looking for. Dawson Garcia? Out of staters don't surprise me if we don't get them. We're going to have misses, but he's gotten the 2 most important recruits he's gone after and is getting the instate talent he promised. We still are missing a marquee player(s) for next year, but I think he'll be active this spring, so I'm waiting to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat before passing judgement. Right now '20 is his worst class and below par to me, but still not horrendous. I wouldn't give him an A, but I would say B or B+ with the '20 class incomplete so far.
I think even Archie would tell you he’s been extremely disappointed with his recruiting. I know he was hoping to land more elite kids than he has. Calling it a strength is just ignoring reality.

Leal will make it 3Mr. BBalls in a row. Lander is a strong IU lean now, and may commit by April. Your constant criticisms of Archie makes you and your other clubmembers look stupid.

I doubt Leal wins Mr Basketball. Likely to be Nijel Pack or Dre Davis. Would almost be certain to be one of those two if they weren't on the same team sharing stats.

I doubt Leal wins Mr Basketball. Likely to be Nijel Pack or Dre Davis. Would almost be certain to be one of those two if they weren't on the same team sharing stats.
With Leal becoming Bloomington South's all-time leading scorer and being the leader of an undefeated, top-ranked 4A team, I'd be surprised if he wasn't named Mr. Basketball.

With Leal becoming Bloomington South's all-time leading scorer and being the leader of an undefeated, top-ranked 4A team, I'd be surprised if he wasn't named Mr. Basketball.

Could be. But LC is not exactly having a bad year. This may be a year that the tournament is what decides it.

You know many of these responses could have been addressed against Mike Kirzyzewski during his first four years as he also started at Duke... Both he and Miller didn't take over a turnkey program, staked with a talented sweet 16 type roster...

I don't know about that Duke program back then but I know he worked his rear end off just like Archie is, to develop solid program...

I feel one huge thing Archie has to face and Mike, I'm sure didn't, is to have to deal with all these negativity from our fans from Archie's very first loss...

I really don't think very many of our fans know they are about to turn this storied program into the same black hole that UCLA finds itself in, which developed over the last few years... Give Archie the help he needs to bring this program back to where it should... Stop all this constant cheep shots, get behind this program again!!!

Based on what? You just joined the board on Thursday and have the hot take that you "doubt" the leading candidate for Mr. Basketball will win. Then you pick two teammates, yet acknowledge that it will be hard for either of them to win because they're on the same team. Which is it? Personally, I'd be pretty shocked if Leal doesn't win it.

Reactions: MrBing
Based on what? You just joined the board on Thursday and have the hot take that you "doubt" the leading candidate for Mr. Basketball will win. Then you pick two teammates, yet acknowledge that it will be hard for either of them to win because they're on the same team. Which is it? Personally, I'd be pretty shocked if Leal doesn't win it.
Leal is a nice player but is he really Mr. Basketball caliber?

Leal is a nice player but is he really Mr. Basketball caliber?

This year, yes he is.

He leads the #1, 4a team in the state. If they win the state title, he'll be the favorite no doubt about it.

There are no national names in the state this year for the award. So yes, Anthony Leal is Mr. Basketball caliber.

You know many of these responses could have been addressed against Mike Kirzyzewski during his first four years as he also started at Duke... Both he and Miller didn't take over a turnkey program, staked with a talented sweet 16 type roster...

I don't know about that Duke program back then but I know he worked his rear end off just like Archie is, to develop solid program...

I feel one huge thing Archie has to face and Mike, I'm sure didn't, is to have to deal with all these negativity from our fans from Archie's very first loss...

I really don't think very many of our fans know they are about to turn this storied program into the same black hole that UCLA finds itself in, which developed over the last few years... Give Archie the help he needs to bring this program back to where it should... Stop all this constant cheep shots, get behind this program again!!!

Well, I was trying to use more recent examples, because I think it's totally changed the landscape. How many of RMK's players left early? Isiah, Jay Edwards, and who else? Now, if you get a 5 star, chances are you will only have him 2 years, and then it's 2 steps forward and 1 big step back unless you can keep replenishing them. With that and all the transfers, it's a totally different landscape now. Look at Archie: had 2 players leave last year and it caught him a bit flat-footed, when we could have really used another guard, especially a shooter.

This year, yes he is.

He leads the #1, 4a team in the state. If they win the state title, he'll be the favorite no doubt about it.

There are no national names in the state this year for the award. So yes, Anthony Leal is Mr. Basketball caliber.
I’ve seen him play a few times and didn’t get the hype. Nice player, but there was nothing he did that hinted at him being a contributor, at least for awhile, at a P5 program.

Reactions: IUgradman

Based on what I have read and watched in person. I have not read anyone say that Leal is the leading candidate. Rather one of 4 or 5 who could easily win it. Leal is a good player. I just see Davis and Pack as being better.

Based on what I have read and watched in person. I have not read anyone say that Leal is the leading candidate. Rather one of 4 or 5 who could easily win it. Leal is a good player. I just see Davis and Pack as being better.[/Q Trey to me is my pick to be really good player at IU maybe better than Leal what does everyone think about that?

You have to give BiK the benefit of the doubt, if he hasn’t been on this board before Thursday, he hasn’t been all dumbed up by reading it. There is a lot of stupid on here.

Its goes with the territory like at any big name school. Archie is not a snowflake or i dont think he would have taken this job. This isnt 2nd grade where everyone gets a medal.

Reactions: Ksteph
No I haven’t, just repeating what others on this board have posted!

I haven't seen him play in person either.

I saw a thread about him on the HSN site, and there were several posters there who had either seen him in person or played against him. Good posters all, including the guy who runs the Daily Hoosier site. All were very complimentary.

Then I read up a little on him. As a freshman last year he avg. 12.9 pts/game, 4.2 rebs, and 3.1 assists. He made 69 3s, shooting 45% on them, 57% on 2s, and 70% on FTs. He was listed as 5'9" last year, 5'10" this year. People think he'll end up being 6'1" or 6'2".....his Dad was an all-state BB player somewhere, and his mom was Ms. Basketball somewhere...she was 5'7", he 6'1" or 6'2".

This year he's averaging 19 pts, 5.5 rbs, 4.8 assists and shooting 40% on 3s and 90% on FTs (78/87), as well as 1.4 steals per game. 26/7/8 against Franklin Central; 19/5/6 against Harrison; 24/5/3 against Avon; 26/7/4 against Brownsburg; 27/5/9 aginst Laf. Jeff; 23/5/9 v. New Pal; 24/9/5 v. Pendleton Heights; 35/8/4 v. Kokomo. Against Tipton, one of the worst teams on the schedule, he had 35/8/8, including 22 pts in the 1st quarter. He's playing a 4A schedule, basically the same schedule as Cathedral's Tayshawn Lomer, who I think people see as the #1 pg in that class. Westfield plays New Castle, Franklin Central, Fischers, Avon, Brownsburg, Carmel, Mt Vernon, Noblesville, New Pal, Zionsville, Kokomo, others. TC is averaging 17.8/3.8 rebs/4.7 assists and shooting 41% on 3s, 76% on FTs--similar stats. He is 6'1", however.

So I did look at some highlights.....specifically a running. leaning 3 pter against FC, when covered, to win that game at the buzzer. Then I watched a whole game of his on the Daily Hoosier site. And I tell you...I just think this kid is special. He reminds me most of Jerry Schisting, the great Martinsville/Purdue PG...but faster. What really catches your eye is his vision....he makes some amazing passes. Devonte-like passes that actually get to their target. He's a very aggressive pusher/driver and very slick about getting his shot off in traffic. He's smart & unselfish & determined in his play. He's a complete gym rat, ala Alford. As another comparison, think of Isaiah Thompson of Purdue, but quicker and a better shooter.....

So.......I don't know.....I know Archie mostly likes bigger points/combo guards so this kid may no be our cup of tea. I hope he stays in close contact because I think he's going to be a 28 point/9 assist/8 rebound guy when he's a senior......

I’ve seen him play a few times and didn’t get the hype. Nice player, but there was nothing he did that hinted at him being a contributor, at least for awhile, at a P5 program.

Good thing for us then, we're not gonna ask him to come in and play 20 minutes every game for us next year.

Its goes with the territory like at any big name school. Archie is not a snowflake or i dont think he would have taken this job. This isnt 2nd grade where everyone gets a medal.

I really hate it when I read what 'aholes' our fans are......I'm not buying it. What they are is.....starving for players that will play their asses off for the program. Brunk and Thompson were getting standing Os on effort plays in the PSU game......plays that were routine for the majority of other Big 10 programs, but ones we have not seen enough of these past 3 years!!! What they obviously won't do is continue to pack AH and cheer like robots for guys who give half-ass effort.

If Leal, Galloway and Geronimo are the type of guys I think they are, they will have ZERO trouble with the IU fanbase.

Reactions: brebelle3

So, was I right? I learned of his commitment monday at 5:30 and could not resist letting a little of it out..

Reactions: JB_Nomee
His 2nd class had 5 openings. I was going off rivals rankings, they are currently 36th. Having the 28th ranked class isn't impressive either.

2018 was Archie's first recruiting class. Taking Durham, Smith and Moore were all guys that had signed under Crean. Regardless if you want to acknowledge that. You can also ignore the Lander commitment that just happened, but that doesn't make it not true.

2018 was Archie's first recruiting class. Taking Durham, Smith and Moore were all guys that had signed under Crean. Regardless if you want to acknowledge that. You can also ignore the Lander commitment that just happened, but that doesn't make it not true.

What are you taking about? I was referring to 2019 class. They took Brunk, TJD, Franklin, and had 2 open scholarships. A total of 5 openings, which is what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT