ADVERTISEMENT

Lander & Jaden Smith visiting at PSU game, more

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Lander and Jaden Smith, '22 PG, were at the game yesterday, With Leal sitting in the middle.

Posters on HSN are saying Lander is seriously looking at reclassifying to '20 and, if he does, he would be coming to IU, fwiw.

Jaden Smith is a 5'10" soph point guard from Westfield who I'm going to go all Luke Brown over right now, and say he's a guy I want at IU. I know, I know......but check him out playing Heritage Heights on a link at the Daily Hoosier. Quick and fast, with and without the ball, very aggressive and creative driving to the basket, great passer, quick release, 91% on FTs, 40% on 3s, will mix it up. Reminds me of guys like Jay Burson, Jerry Schisting.....but, imo, quicker. Yes, he'll need to grow an inch and add 15 lbs..............I know people will give me s*** for this, but I'm telling you, this kid has "it". Check him out. And one nice thing is....he had IU gear on at the game....sign him up coach.

PS.....I'm not related, and only heard his name for the first time yesterday.

Lander and Jaden Smith, '22 PG, were at the game yesterday, With Leal sitting in the middle.

Posters on HSN are saying Lander is seriously looking at reclassifying to '20 and, if he does, he would be coming to IU, fwiw.

Jaden Smith is a 5'10" soph point guard from Westfield who I'm going to go all Luke Brown over right now, and say he's a guy I want at IU. I know, I know......but check him out playing Heritage Heights on a link at the Daily Hoosier. Quick and fast, with and without the ball, very aggressive and creative driving to the basket, great passer, quick release, 91% on FTs, 40% on 3s, will mix it up. Reminds me of guys like Jay Burson, Jerry Schisting.....but, imo, quicker. Yes, he'll need to grow an inch and add 15 lbs..............I know people will give me s*** for this, but I'm telling you, this kid has "it". Check him out. And one nice thing is....he had IU gear on at the game....sign him up coach.

I wonder, if Jaden Smith’s aggression reminds Archie of Archie?

Its Braden not Jaden.
I've watched him play over the years. He is very good and closer to 6Ft and will probably add a few more inches.
He is very crafty with the ball and has a court vision that few have. Plus he can shoot.

Thanks for the correction...........Like I said I never heard of him until yesterday. HSN has some nice recruiting threads, and I checked him out. I was shocked at how good he looked. Fast as hell, but also 'quick'....0 to 60; aggressive; can use both hands; quick release; shoots FTs like Alford; fearless; unselfish.

Thanks for the correction...........Like I said I never heard of him until yesterday. HSN has some nice recruiting threads, and I checked him out. I was shocked at how good he looked. Fast as hell, but also 'quick'....0 to 60; aggressive; can use both hands; quick release; shoots FTs like Alford; fearless; unselfish.
"Shoots FTs like Alford"....this program could use a shit ton of that right now....badly. Socks, shorts, ....swish.

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
Had the pleasure of taking my nephew to a Westfield HS game in December. Was impressed with Braden Smith especially after finding out he's a Soph.

Think he had 22 first quarter points, had a smooth handle, and really created opportunites for his teammates with his passing.

But with all that, what made him the best player on the court that day, was that it was obvious he had the best feel for game and highest bball IQ out there.

"Shoots FTs like Alford"....this program could use a shit ton of that right now....badly. Socks, shorts, ....swish.

Yeah, what a great advantage to have a PG that can hit 80+% of their FTs. I am hopeful that RP can get there by his senior year. I saw more in him last year than he's shown this year so I am hoping it is due to a nagging injury situation and he gets himself healthy next year with a full off-season to improve.

Reactions: jiouhyu
If we get Lander. That could possibly be 4 Mr Basketballs in a row. I hope B South wins the State Title because that would lock it up for Leal. Galloway is in the mix too. I just don’t want the Louisville recruit to win it. I live near Louisville and I’d never hear the end of it.

G
If we get Lander. That could possibly be 4 Mr Basketballs in a row. I hope B South wins the State Title because that would lock it up for Leal. Galloway is in the mix too. I just don’t want the Louisville recruit to win it. I live near Louisville and I’d never hear the end of it.
Galloway won’t be eligible for Mr. Basketball. I’d say it’s Leals to lose.

Yeah, what a great advantage to have a PG that can hit 80+% of their FTs. I am hopeful that RP can get there by his senior year. I saw more in him last year than he's shown this year so I am hoping it is due to a nagging injury situation and he gets himself healthy next year with a full off-season to improve.

Watching him shoot FTs is a thing of beauty. I mentioned Alford, but that's just results, not similar in style. Smith doesn't do the dribble, socks et al routine.....he just gets the ball and shoots it.....like "of course I'm going to make it". Then, nothing but net.

And think of all the games that Will and Jada will attend.

Watching him shoot FTs is a thing of beauty. I mentioned Alford, but that's just results, not similar in style. Smith doesn't do the dribble, socks et al routine.....he just gets the ball and shoots it.....like "of course I'm going to make it". Then, nothing but net.

Check out his running, leaning 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat Franklin Central......

that's what I loved about Yogi his Sr year. The dude was iron-clad clutch from 3 and from the FT line. That's what you need in a PG. Rob hasn't had a good yr. Let's hope he gets right over the summer. Going to be a lot of backcourt competition next fall.

Reactions: kkott
that's what I loved about Yogi his Sr year. The dude was iron-clad clutch from 3 and from the FT line. That's what you need in a PG. Rob hasn't had a good yr. Let's hope he gets right over the summer. Going to be a lot of backcourt competition next fall.

But not at PG unless Lander reclassifies or CAM recruits someone in the spring. We need RP to get healthy and improve!

But not at PG unless Lander reclassifies or CAM recruits someone in the spring. We need RP to get healthy and improve!

Carter Whitt is someone that we have a shot with that is thinking about reclassifying to the 2020 class that had a very good official here a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: kkott
Put me on ignore then.

I don't put people on ignore unless they make no contribution to discussions and only complain. I don't think you're to that level yet, but recruiting has been a strength of Archie overall. There's not much more he could have done really. Keion Brooks? OK, but it's obvious we weren't the program his Dad was looking for. Dawson Garcia? Out of staters don't surprise me if we don't get them. We're going to have misses, but he's gotten the 2 most important recruits he's gone after and is getting the instate talent he promised. We still are missing a marquee player(s) for next year, but I think he'll be active this spring, so I'm waiting to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat before passing judgement. Right now '20 is his worst class and below par to me, but still not horrendous. I wouldn't give him an A, but I would say B or B+ with the '20 class incomplete so far.

I've heard the same scuttlebutt that if Lander reclassifies, then he's doing it to come to IU. If he stays in HS for his SR year then I think it will be a battle between IU, UL, and UM.

Reactions: MrBing and greg91
I don't put people on ignore unless they make no contribution to discussions and only complain. I don't think you're to that level yet, but recruiting has been a strength of Archie overall. There's not much more he could have done really. Keion Brooks? OK, but it's obvious we weren't the program his Dad was looking for. Dawson Garcia? Out of staters don't surprise me if we don't get them. We're going to have misses, but he's gotten the 2 most important recruits he's gone after and is getting the instate talent he promised. We still are missing a marquee player(s) for next year, but I think he'll be active this spring, so I'm waiting to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat before passing judgement. Right now '20 is his worst class and below par to me, but still not horrendous. I wouldn't give him an A, but I would say B or B+ with the '20 class incomplete so far.

It's your opinion that recruiting has been a strength of Archie's. It's also entirely reasonable to be critical of his recruiting. He's had 3 classes at IU. Only one of them has been top 30. I don't consider it a strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosierific
It's your opinion that recruiting has been a strength of Archie's. It's also entirely reasonable to be critical of his recruiting. He's had 3 classes at IU. Only one of them has been top 30. I don't consider it a strength.

He has had two full classes. His third is still yet to be on campus, so the ranking can change. His first was #10. His second only had two openings. It was #53, but yielded the best player on the team right now as a freshman. I think when we look back on this class it will be thought of a lot better than 53rd. The current class is sitting at #28 right now. So that is two of the three in top 30.

He has had two full classes. His third is still yet to be on campus, so the ranking can change. His first was #10. His second only had two openings. It was #53, but yielded the best player on the team right now as a freshman. I think when we look back on this class it will be thought of a lot better than 53rd. The current class is sitting at #28 right now. So that is two of the three in top 30.

His 2nd class had 5 openings. I was going off rivals rankings, they are currently 36th. Having the 28th ranked class isn't impressive either.

Last edited:
Its been ok but thers are 5 or 6 big ten teams every year in the top 30. Maybe more. Its decent but by no means killer.

Reactions: snarlcakes
His 2nd class had 4 openings. I was going off rivals rankings, they are currently 36th. Having the 28th ranked class isn't impressive either.

Given the inside out mantra, he is somewhat beholden to the rankings of in state kids, plus as many clamour for “culture”, ratings might not be the best barometer for the first few classes. Especially if the classes don’t stay together (see Romeo). 2020 will be interesting based on the late add(s). Meanwhile, 2021 I believe will be brighter than the fall prognostications of an in-state whiff.

Given the inside out mantra, he is somewhat beholden to the rankings of in state kids, plus as many clamour for “culture”, ratings might not be the best barometer for the first few classes. Especially if the classes don’t stay together (see Romeo). 2020 will be interesting based on the late add(s). Meanwhile, 2021 I believe will be brighter than the fall prognostications of an in-state whiff.
Yeah but it wasnt like he didnt go after top 30 talent. He did. We missed on brooks and garcia both of which were highly ranked. We went after lester q hard and missed. Watford. 2021 will be a big test.

D_AXuPMWwAAoLnB.jpg

Can’t wait to see Jaden in candy stripes!

I know he is.

He won't win it though. He's got two things against him. He was hurt earlier in the year and he plays for a private school, which for some reason, coaches refuse to vote for private school players.

Yogi played for a private school.

Yeah but it wasnt like he didnt go after top 30 talent. He did. We missed on brooks and garcia both of which were highly ranked. We went after lester q hard and missed. Watford. 2021 will be a big test.

Leal will make it 3Mr. BBalls in a row. Lander is a strong IU lean now, and may commit by April. Your constant criticisms of Archie makes you and your other clubmembers look stupid.

Reactions: cybergates
Its Braden not Jaden.
I've watched him play over the years. He is very good and closer to 6Ft and will probably add a few more inches.
He is very crafty with the ball and has a court vision that few have. Plus he can shoot.
Watch video of Braden Smith and he and Luke Brown are almost like two peas in a pod both have great potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT