ADVERTISEMENT

Labor shortage

I guarantee I have worked just as hard and just as long (if not harder and longer) as you, Stoll, so climb off that cross you seem fit to hang around on, and lighten the fvck up.
(BTW, my wife has worked just as hard and long as you, as well...and somehow we have managed to stay happily married for over 33 years and still going, to boot...so stick that in your corncob pipe and smoke it.)
Bwahahahahaha. The English.... You wouldn’t make it a week in an Amish community.

I think mosf of the anger at that point should be directed at those who are borrowing trillions of dollars in the credit of our children and grandchildren so that people can sit at home when there is clearly work available literally everywhere. That being said, yeah, we should be angry at people who are capable of working but won't.

Bunch of entitled assholes, "well that job does not pay enough", well, in a just world it would pay more than the zero that your lazy ass should be receiving to sit at home. There is a time and place for welfare, this ain't it.

Twenty's original post says that BW3 is offering above what all the lefties have been saying is a "fair" minimum wage by a few dollars an hour. And people are turning it down...not because the wage is not good at that point, but because the extra $80 a week is not worth it to get off their lazy ass. Why go to all that trouble to go earn your money when a little scrimping here and there can let you be at home all day?

It would be one thing if we were in the middle of a depression and work was hard to come by, but you cannot go out these days without tripping on a help wanted sign. And last I checked we had 11 million people collecting unemployment. That is not hard times, it is lazy, mooching, dickheads.

I agree that there are lazy people that take full advantage of the system, but there are also people that have worked their entire lives that should be able to take advantage of unemployment when needed.

I've got a theory that the pandemic started a trend of boomers retiring early. I know at my work, we had two retire early, and we only have about 40 employees. They were guys that had been kicking around the idea but the pandemic just pushed them over the edge. I could be totally wrong, but I'm guessing that's where a portion of our workforce went.

My father always said, "know your worth." I've worked a long time and if I lost my job know, I wouldn't rush into the first thing just because it was a paying job unless I really wanted it and it fit what I wanted to do. He's also always taught me basic math. If staying at home makes me more than job A does, and job A isn't a place that I want to work and would stay at, why would I take take that job?

Bwahahahahaha. The English.... You wouldn’t make it a week in an Amish community.

images

Reactions: UncleMark
I agree that there are lazy people that take full advantage of the system, but there are also people that have worked their entire lives that should be able to take advantage of unemployment when needed.

I've got a theory that the pandemic started a trend of boomers retiring early. I know at my work, we had two retire early, and we only have about 40 employees. They were guys that had been kicking around the idea but the pandemic just pushed them over the edge. I could be totally wrong, but I'm guessing that's where a portion of our workforce went.

My father always said, "know your worth." I've worked a long time and if I lost my job know, I wouldn't rush into the first thing just because it was a paying job unless I really wanted it and it fit what I wanted to do. He's also always taught me basic math. If staying at home makes me more than job A does, and job A isn't a place that I want to work and would stay at, why would I take take that job?
Your last paragraph is where I would step in and force the issue as the government by ending all expanded unemployment benefits so that the pay went back to what it was before COVID and instead of people losing out on $40 to $80 a week by being picky, they would be losing out on several hundred dollars. It should not be more lucrative to stay home when the economy is begging for labor and we have 11 million laborers sitting on the sidelines because of government benefits. That is the whole point.

And yes, if a better paying job is available to you or a similar paying job and you continue to collect money from the taxpayers, I do judge you harshly.

Your last paragraph is where I would step in and force the issue as the government by ending all expanded unemployment benefits so that the pay went back to what it was before COVID and instead of people losing out on $40 to $80 a week by being picky, they would be losing out on several hundred dollars. It should not be more lucrative to stay home when the economy is begging for labor and we have 11 million laborers sitting on the sidelines because of government benefits. That is the whole point.

And yes, if a better paying job is available to you or a similar paying job and you continue to collect money from the taxpayers, I do judge you harshly.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Indiana since the extra unemployment benefits ended on June 19.

Well it seems many states are pulling the plug on the UEI boost. Even the People's Republic of California is reinstating the requirement to actively look for work next month. Indiana ended the boost June 19th.

Ends nationally in Sept so I anticipate this only being a transitory issue.

Well it seems many states are pulling the plug on the UEI boost. Even the People's Republic of California is reinstating the requirement to actively look for work next month. Indiana ended the boost June 19th
Thankfully. It was a perverse, economy killing incentive. We don't have things if people don't work.

Thankfully. It was a perverse, economy killing incentive. We don't have things if people don't work.

I'm not convinced that it is the UIE alone, however. Particularly for these service level jobs in travel and leisure. Certainly a part of it, but that alone isn't enough to fill the some 9m job openings.

Well it seems many states are pulling the plug on the UEI boost. Even the People's Republic of California is reinstating the requirement to actively look for work next month. Indiana ended the boost June 19th.

Ends nationally in Sept so I anticipate this only being a transitory issue.

As I previously posted, some states (AZ, NV, MI) ended their programs in May, so we should get a feel for how that impacts June employment data.

I'm not convinced that it is the UIE alone, however. Particularly for these service level jobs in travel and leisure. Certainly a part of it, but that alone isn't enough to fill the some 9m job openings.
I think as cited in mark’s article some people saved money by a year of not going out etc. no rush to go back

Reactions: Crayfish57
It may not be the only thing, but it is at least a start. Even if it only fills 60% of the jobs, it is better than what is currently happening.

Maybe the baby boomers finally up and left the labor force...who knows, but we will get a clearer picture of the issue when we get rid of the artificial bump to unemployment caused by these additional payments.

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa

I won’t argue with your math. If my golf buddy followed your math he wouldn’t be a multi millionaire with multiple franchise locations and retired playing golf every day ending in Y before age 60.

I won’t argue with your math. If my golf buddy followed your math he wouldn’t be a multi millionaire with multiple franchise locations and retired playing golf every day ending in Y before age 60.

Thats great for him. How many others has that worked out for?

It may not be the only thing, but it is at least a start. Even if it only fills 60% of the jobs, it is better than what is currently happening.

Maybe the baby boomers finally up and left the labor force...who knows, but we will get a clearer picture of the issue when we get rid of the artificial bump to unemployment caused by these additional payments.
There’s some chicken and egg stuff too. Today, many downtown Indianapolis restaurants are still closed. When they closed in March 2020, many lost their jobs and relied on the UI benefits. Fast forward to today, many jobs never came back. So are the restaurants closed because they can’t get workers or are many unemployed because the restaurants are closed?

I can churn butter, hand-milk a cow, pluck a chicken, help build a barn, and clean a squirrel.

Mad Amish skills

There’s some chicken and egg stuff too. Today, many downtown Indianapolis restaurants are still closed. When they closed in March 2020, many lost their jobs and relied on the UI benefits. Fast forward to today, many jobs never came back. So are the restaurants closed because they can’t get workers or are many unemployed because the restaurants are closed?
Maybe they’re waiting it out. My buddy owns a half a dozen restaurants and he related between the “price of protein” and shortage of staff he was better off during the shutdown. Hyperbole a bit but who knows. I bet people saved money not going out, got stimulus, unemployment and aren’t desperate yet. I bet this fall we see a return to normalcy

So are the restaurants closed because they can’t get workers or are many unemployed because the restaurants are closed?
Or perhaps they're closed because of overzealous policies and that's also why there are unemployed people.

You don't see nearly economic carnage in the restaurant industry in Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville or Greenwood. Probably other cities bordering Indy too, but those are the 4 with which I have experience.

As someone just shy of 50 who will be in the job hunt soon, this terrifies me. I think it’s a real thing and it is part of the reason I’m being proactive and moving before I hit the big 50.
Networking is always good, but particularly at this point in your careeer.

I dont disagree with ending the added unemployment payments. They are not needed anymore. However they are not the reason for the labor shortages. That's a false narrative by the same people who pushed drug testing for benefits.

Reactions: UncleMark
I am not downtown as much anymore but I can tell you my area (Noblesville/Fishers) is hiring everywhere. The restaurants are open and they almost all want employees. That goes from fast food to the higher end establishments.

Marion County is a different animal though because Hogsett is taking longer to open Indy back up. So I cannot speak for Indy.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Every restaurant in FL is open and is packed, and it is the offseason. Some are understaffed.

I think most of the anger at that point should be directed at those who are borrowing trillions of dollars in the credit of our children and grandchildren so that people can sit at home when there is clearly work available literally everywhere. That being said, yeah, we should be angry at people who are capable of working but won't.

Bunch of entitled assholes, "well that job does not pay enough", well, in a just world it would pay more than the zero that your lazy ass should be receiving to sit at home. There is a time and place for welfare, this ain't it.

Twenty's original post says that BW3 is offering above what all the lefties have been saying is a "fair" minimum wage by a few dollars an hour. And people are turning it down...not because the wage is not good at that point, but because the extra $80 a week is not worth it to get off their lazy ass. Why go to all that trouble to go earn your money when a little scrimping here and there can let you be at home all day?

It would be one thing if we were in the middle of a depression and work was hard to come by, but you cannot go out these days without tripping on a help wanted sign. And last I checked we had 11 million people collecting unemployment. That is not hard times, it is lazy, mooching, dickheads.
Maybe we should start our own "cancelling" of people. Those lazy asses that game the system and MORE importantly, those lazy asses that create policy that entice it! ... AT OUR (kids) EXPENSE.

Not to start a fight here, but you would be mad at someone for getting paid more if they made more money sitting at home then working a dead end job like at a restraint? Shouldn't the job pay more to entice the unemployed to want to work there?

How is that smart thinking money wise for the individual at home?
I'm not blaming the individual - people act in their best interests. If it pays more to sit on their ass than work a crappy job, I'm sure I'd do the same. Actually, I've worked plenty of crappy jobs in my life, but if I didn't, I didn't eat. That's the difference between then and now.

Last edited:
I am not downtown as much anymore but I can tell you my area (Noblesville/Fishers) is hiring everywhere. The restaurants are open and they almost all want employees. That goes from fast food to the higher end establishments.

Marion County is a different animal though because Hogsett is taking longer to open Indy back up. So I cannot speak for Indy.

There's been a labor shortage for shit service jobs since way before the pandemic.

One of the arguments against Andrew Yang's automation take over was the fact that there was a massive labor shortage and automation is needed to do shit, burger flipping jobs.

My suspicion from a 50 year old retiree is there's new online markets the youth is extremely interested in that I have no clue about (crypto, nft, tic tok, fortnight, second life, etc) along with the stigma that working fast food is loser work.

I also suspect that the more we tighten immigration, we're going to discover that illegal immigrants play a huge role in our economy.

As far as unemployment benefits, it's simply job insurance for everyone including you. It fills up during the good years and helps transition during the bad years.

As people are finding out, the older you get the less desirable you become (you're at the peak of salary, you've leveled off from a climber to a sustainer, you have less future years to offer but still have to be trained and indoctrinated into the company culture, etc).

Anyway, since the job insurance program has started we haven't had an economic depression or any kind of extended unemployment crises.

Maybe they’re waiting it out. My buddy owns a half a dozen restaurants and he related between the “price of protein” and shortage of staff he was better off during the shutdown. Hyperbole a bit but who knows. I bet people saved money not going out, got stimulus, unemployment and aren’t desperate yet. I bet this fall we see a return to normalcy
Just went to lunch at a little town outside Charlotte.

They had a lunch menu last time I was there, but there wasn't one today. I asked why: they couldn't get a lot of the ingredients, or the prices went up so much that they would have to increase prices too much, so they didn't have a lunch menu today.

But, you know, there are no shortages or inflation under Gestapo Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT