ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to staff and players

A big congratulations to the coaching staff and team thank God for our new coaches. But let's talk about Leo after the Hoosiers are winning at least 50% of their big ten games.

What about LEO is it that bothers you and several others on here?
Is it that love is used in the context of the he man sport of football?
Others have stated that most teams have similar sayings to create team building.

Wisconsin got a taste of playing Ohio State last week...something Indiana does every year. They limped out of that game shot to pieces. That's what happens when you play an Ohio State with NFL players at ALL positions!

Do you people put an asterisk beside an Indiana basketball win when they railroad the piss out of a team across the parking lot?? Of course not; you gloat that "we're back!" LMFAO!!!

I am not downplaying you as a fan. But IU has been just as decimated by injuries this year. Camper has been out Henderson now Pierre. Why is it that opponents can be decimated by injuries but IU is expected to overcome them?
Yes, we've had several key guys (EJ Williams, Camper, Jamier Johnson, Longman, Dunnam, Bomba, Henderson and others) out at various times this season, QB Dexter Williams has been out for the season, and losing our sixth-year leader on defense Noah Pierre has been a huge blow.

The poster you're responding to can't help himself. Even while praising IU's "solid" play yesterday, he's got to qualify it by suggesting the W wouldn't have happened without Wisconsin's injuries. Ours apparently don't matter.

Yes, we've had several key guys (EJ Williams, Camper, Jamier Johnson, Longman, Dunnam, Bomba, Henderson and others) out at various times this season, QB Dexter Williams has been out for the season, and losing our sixth-year leader on defense Noah Pierre has been a huge blow.

The poster you're responding to can't help himself. Even while praising IU's "solid" play yesterday, he's got to qualify it by suggesting the W wouldn't have happened without Wisconsin's injuries. Ours apparently don't matter.
You think we beat them if Mordecai, their top 2 RBs, their top receiver, half their secondary…were all playing? Even with Williams, Camper, and Pierre?

Sorsby is our starter. And he played decent yesterday. Their backup was awful. Henderson is our starter, and he played decent yesterday. Their 3rd and 4th string RBs had 26 yards rushing in the 1st half. You think we hold their top 2 backs to that?

I’m just realistic. AND I’m happy with how we’re progressing. It’s possible to be both. And I don’t even think we have to win out, for the improvement and momentum to continue. Illinois just beat Minny on the road. They’re not great, but they’re solid. MSU just won. And PU is never easy, no matter what. If, however, we have tons of mistakes, broken plays, questionable coaching decisions…yep, I’ll call that out. Win or lose. Beat the spread or not.

We played a lot more clean of a game against Wisconsin. Happy to see it. Penn State had just as much mistakes, sloppy play, and questionable coaching, as it did solid play. The two game trend is pointing up. Happy for that.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
You think we beat them if Mordecai, their top 2 RBs, their top receiver, half their secondary…were all playing? Even with Williams, Camper, and Pierre?

Sorsby is our starter. And he played decent yesterday. Their backup was awful. Henderson is our starter, and he played decent yesterday. Their 3rd and 4th string RBs had 26 yards rushing in the 1st half. You think we hold their top 2 backs to that?

I’m just realistic. AND I’m happy with how we’re progressing. It’s possible to be both. And I don’t even think we have to win out, for the improvement and momentum to continue. Illinois just beat Minny on the road. They’re not great, but they’re solid. MSU just won. And PU is never easy, no matter what. If, however, we have tons of mistakes, broken plays, questionable coaching decisions…yep, I’ll call that out. Win or lose. Beat the spread or not.

We played a lot more clean of a game against Wisconsin. Happy to see it. Penn State had just as much mistakes, sloppy play, and questionable coaching, as it did solid play. The two game trend is pointing up. Happy for that.
How do you know we don’t?

I guess we will never know. We don’t have to because they were not there. How many games do you think we might have won had Penix been healthy at IU?

Reactions: ESalum86
I guess we will never know. We don’t have to because they were not there. How many games do you think we might have won had Penix been healthy at IU?
More than we did in all likelihood, but Ramsey was pretty good in his absence.

Others have stated that most teams have similar sayings to create team building.
Too much like Dan Quinn's "brotherhood" of the Atlanta Falcons.

Blecchh. Overused and overexposed.

And (junior) James Evans. Six punts, three inside the twenty. Long of 55 yards, 44.8 yard average. Not bad for a Kiwi.

6'1"/220. Sized like an undersized LB . . . wonder what 40 time he runs.
Not sure about his 40, but he actually did punt the ball very well yesterday. Especially as opposed to a couple weeks ago when he kicked everything into the endzone and there were jokers on here so happy about his 50 yard average like it was a good thing. He's got plenty of skill to boom it, but the placement punts were a sight for sore eyes yesterday.

Let’s see your leading rusher your top pass receiver your defensive team captain just for staters. That is pretty damaging. Yes I know Wisconsin had their best receiver and starting quarterback out. I would take that.
Their two leading rushers were out, too.

I agree with a couple posters I am sitting in section 26 this year and on the east side for the first time. I had a lot of Wisconsin fans sitting by me yesterday and it was very joyous watching their dejected looks as they slinked out of the stadium in embarrassment.

I just hope we can keep the improved trend moving forward into the Illinois game. Illinois is decent and got lucky yesterday in their miracle finish against Minnesota. We cannot let Williams beat us. We need to have someone right with him all the time and even double team him some.

I am long suffering like another who started full football fandom as an 8-year-old during the Rose Bowl season. I was a senior at IU in 1979 with the Holiday Bowl 8-4 team beating an undefeated BYU team. Tim Clifford and Tim Wilbur leading the way.

In 1992 I was in Tempe for the game against Baylor which was IU's last bowl victory led by Trent Green, Vaughn Dunbar and Mark Hagen. I was at the IU-Purdue game when the field goal went through that sent Hep's wife into both joy and tears. I was there in 1987 in the monsoon game against Michigan which Bo complaining about the loudness of the IU fans. What a joke Bo.

I also have seen winless seasons and more humiliating losses than I care to discuss but am Hoosier die hard sports fan with football season tickets all four years as a student and 38 as an adult.

I just want before I die to see the IU community, administration, AD, and fans to have a football team to be proud of.

Go Hoosiers beat Illinois.

I am not downplaying you as a fan. But IU has been just as decimated by injuries this year. Camper has been out Henderson now Pierre. Why is it that opponents can be decimated by injuries but IU is expected to overcome them?
IU is not even remotely "decimated" by injuries. Not even close.

Not sure about his 40, but he actually did punt the ball very well yesterday. Especially as opposed to a couple weeks ago when he kicked everything into the endzone and there were jokers on here so happy about his 50 yard average like it was a good thing. He's got plenty of skill to boom it, but the placement punts were a sight for sore eyes yesterday.
I mean, our gunners did a terrible job against Rutgers, assuming that's the game you're referring to.

There were at least two punts for touchbacks that absolutely should not have been had the coverage team done their job. That's not the punter's fault. Like, they were getting faked out by the returner 15 yards in front of the ball sometimes in that game.

I agree with a couple posters I am sitting in section 26 this year and on the east side for the first time. I had a lot of Wisconsin fans sitting by me yesterday and it was very joyous watching their dejected looks as they slinked out of the stadium in embarrassment.

I just hope we can keep the improved trend moving forward into the Illinois game. Illinois is decent and got lucky yesterday in their miracle finish against Minnesota. We cannot let Williams beat us. We need to have someone right with him all the time and even double team him some.

I am long suffering like another who started full football fandom as an 8-year-old during the Rose Bowl season. I was a senior at IU in 1979 with the Holiday Bowl 8-4 team beating an undefeated BYU team. Tim Clifford and Tim Wilbur leading the way.

In 1992 I was in Tempe for the game against Baylor which was IU's last bowl victory led by Trent Green, Vaughn Dunbar and Mark Hagen. I was at the IU-Purdue game when the field goal went through that sent Hep's wife into both joy and tears. I was there in 1987 in the monsoon game against Michigan which Bo complaining about the loudness of the IU fans. What a joke Bo.

I also have seen winless seasons and more humiliating losses than I care to discuss but am Hoosier die hard sports fan with football season tickets all four years as a student and 38 as an adult.

I just want before I die to see the IU community, administration, AD, and fans to have a football team to be proud of.

Go Hoosiers beat Illinois.
We sat in section 26 (row 12) yesterday. Same here. We had some really dejected Bucky fans literally all around us. My wife and I both found it extremely satisfying to see them with the expression we've walked out with on so many occasions.

We sat in section 26 (row 12) yesterday. Same here. We had some really dejected Bucky fans literally all around us. My wife and I both found it extremely satisfying to see them with the expression we've walked out with on so many occasions.
We are in row 26 glad we got to have fun for once.

Reactions: Vern Pain
It is not a philosophical Church versus State issue. It is three wins and 22 losses in the conference over the past three seasons.

After the game yesterday coach Allen was talking about LEO being the glue that held the team together in the face of adversity. Those are my words not his. My thought was: "are you kidding me? That's your third conference win in 25 games". I would have thought better of it if he again said boy I made a huge mistake and keeping Darren Hiller around so long and yes I had no idea what I was thinking when I hired Walt Bell.

Also I've always thought that LEO is awfully lame. I'd be a much bigger fan of Easy Company's "Currahee" . I shudder to think of them shouting out LEO as they parachuted into France.

Last edited:
It is not a philosophical Church versus State issue. It is three wins and 22 losses in the conference over the past three seasons.

After the game yesterday coach Allen was talking about LEO being the glue that held the team together in the face of adversity. Those are my words not his. My thought was: "are you kidding me? That's your third conference win in 25 games". I would have thought better of it if he again said boy I made a huge mistake and keeping Darren Miller around so long and yes I had no idea what I was thinking when I hired Walt Bell.

Also I've always thought that LEO is awfully lame. I'd be a much bigger fan of Easy Company's "Currahee" . I shudder to think of them shouting out LEO as they parachuted into France.

Horse manure.

Coach Allen was responding to a reporter's question about this season; he responded accordingly. He was not giving a historical perspective of the last three, five, or 130 years.

Undeniably, the season's strength of schedule and five Big Ten road games is very challenging.

His coaching record is fair game for critique. It's unfair to take a post game quote—a few minutes after an upset win—about the current season, and use it out of context.

And (junior) James Evans. Six punts, three inside the twenty. Long of 55 yards, 44.8 yard average. Not bad for a Kiwi.

6'1"/220. Sized like an undersized LB . . . wonder what 40 time he runs.
Played rugby in high school. Like to think he could tuck it and get us a first down at some point…

After the game yesterday coach Allen was talking about LEO being the glue that held the team together in the face of adversity. Those are my words not his. My thought was: "are you kidding me? That's your third conference win in 25 games". I would have thought better of it if he again said boy I made a huge mistake and keeping Darren Miller around so long and yes I had no idea what I was thinking when I hired Walt Bell.

I would have thought better of it if he again said boy I made a huge mistake and keeping Darren Miller around so long and yes I had no idea what I was thinking when I hired Walt Bell.
Yea right, that is exactly what he should have said after a big win. Good grief! 🤦‍♂️

Also I've always thought that LEO is awfully lame.

That is all you needed to post. It says it all from your viewpoint.
Did you think that when IU put two good seasons back to back?

I'm torn on LEO...

Blocking, tackling, being fast, throwing accurate balls, taking care of the ball, making good decisions, being in the right spot, reading and reacting well...these are the things that actually win football games, or don't.

I worry that when the above things aren't being done at a high level, that LEO can act somewhat like a pacifier or blanket, lessening the scrutiny or pain that should come from not doing those core football things well.

Tom Allen has clapped, and hugged, and manically cheered on his guys to having a 3-22 B10 record the last three seasons. No one should ever question his passion for the game, and his love for his players and IU. But he obviously hasn't had the right combination of expectations, coaching, demanding of those fundamental things I mentioned above. How many different "Worst in FBS" graphics did they show in Saturday's game?

I think some of the basic core aspects of LEO, have softened the reactions by the coaches and players towards the play that has led to "worst in FBS" type performances.

But then we have to consider what positive impact LEO had to amplify the good play that we saw there for a few years. Do we battle and hang around against PSU, and then does Penix make that spectacular game winning play, without the emotions of LEO? Did LEO allow us to navigate Covid better than other programs? We had a damn good football team there for a few years. What role did LEO play in that?

I think my best summary would be that LEO is an amplifier. When you've got a good group of players, and coaches that are effectively teaching good, solid, things...LEO can raise the level of play. But when you have a group that is more undisciplined, and have coaches that aren't as good at coaching them up, then LEO can be a band aid and keep some from improving and growing.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I'm torn on LEO...

Blocking, tackling, being fast, throwing accurate balls, taking care of the ball, making good decisions, being in the right spot, reading and reacting well...these are the things that actually win football games, or don't.

I worry that when the above things aren't being done at a high level, that LEO can act somewhat like a pacifier or blanket, lessening the scrutiny or pain that should come from not doing those core football things well.

Tom Allen has clapped, and hugged, and manically cheered on his guys to having a 3-22 B10 record the last three seasons. No one should ever question his passion for the game, and his love for his players and IU. But he obviously hasn't had the right combination of expectations, coaching, demanding of those fundamental things I mentioned above. How many different "Worst in FBS" graphics did they show in Saturday's game?

I think some of the basic core aspects of LEO, have softened the reactions by the coaches and players towards the play that has led to "worst in FBS" type performances.

But then we have to consider what positive impact LEO had to amplify the good play that we saw there for a few years. Do we battle and hang around against PSU, and then does Penix make that spectacular game winning play, without the emotions of LEO? Did LEO allow us to navigate Covid better than other programs? We had a damn good football team there for a few years. What role did LEO play in that?

I think my best summary would be that LEO is an amplifier. When you've got a good group of players, and coaches that are effectively teaching good, solid, things...LEO can raise the level of play. But when you have a group that is more undisciplined, and have coaches that aren't as good at coaching them up, then LEO can be a band aid and keep some from improving and growing.
The truth is, you have no freaking clue because you're not in those walls every day.

Ha ha. Very true. I think that should be a basic assumption for everyone on this site. We're all just guessing.

Just trying to guess on how LEO can go from NCOY type stuff, to Worst in FBS type stuff, in a matter of a year or so.

Thus, I'm torn...
Different coaches. Different dynamics. Different players.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Different coaches. Different dynamics. Different players.
1 common denominator...

Why did it work with the 18-20 groups, and not the 21-23 groups?

Saban has different coordinators, and different players seemingly every year. They ALWAYS win. Their deviation is usually only a game or two every year. Talent plays a role, but to me, that's a relative argument. We have more talent now, star ratings wise, than we had in 18-20. Why the wild swing in results? Why isn't LEO strong enough to hold that off?

Lots of questions...leaves me torn....

1 common denominator...

Why did it work with the 18-20 groups, and not the 21-23 groups?

Saban has different coordinators, and different players seemingly every year. They ALWAYS win. Their deviation is usually only a game or two every year. Talent plays a role, but to me, that's a relative argument. We have more talent now, star ratings wise, than we had in 18-20. Why the wild swing in results? Why isn't LEO strong enough to hold that off?

Lots of questions...leaves me torn....
So Tom Allen is not Nick Saban. Got it.

Now do Jimbo Fisher.

Now do Dabo Swinney.

Now do Neal Browne.

These aren't robots or PS5 players. THey're human beings. Young, relatively immature ones. Evaluations are missed. People change. Circumstances change.

Why did RMK win 3 nattys but then couldn't get out of the first round for however long that was?

Things are fluid.

Never heard of the young man before today, but #26/Rudolph on D, playing for Noah Pierre, was making some big plays for IU…keep him out there!!!
That dude was a beast. He had big time numbers at his prior school as linebacker. It was a small college but I freakin loved that guy last week. Hopefully he gets more playing time.

So Tom Allen is not Nick Saban. Got it.

Now do Jimbo Fisher.

Now do Dabo Swinney.

Now do Neal Browne.

These aren't robots or PS5 players. THey're human beings. Young, relatively immature ones. Evaluations are missed. People change. Circumstances change.

Why did RMK win 3 nattys but then couldn't get out of the first round for however long that was?

Things are fluid.
Bob Knight never had the wild swings in performance that Allen has had. And he didn't have a LEO type catch phrase. His teams were always solid, when he had elite talent, they won trophies. They never dipped down below being solid though.

In fact, none of the coaches you referenced have had NCOY to FBS Worst type swings.

So again, the question, that I'm torn on, is what role is Allen's LEO approach playing on these wild swings?

My guess, from outside the walls, is that he leverages it too much, and it ends up effecting the accountability needed to master all the little things it takes to be a consistently successful football program.

Football has never had a winning tradition either. We have a historical average of 4 wins per year.

Basketball had two national championships before Knight. Our soccer program would be a better comparison and the best consistency in the IU sports world history. 8 national championships and in the title game the last two years. Won the regular season big ten championship this year and in semifinals of the big ten tournament tomorrow.

Bob Knight never had the wild swings in performance that Allen has had. And he didn't have a LEO type catch phrase. His teams were always solid, when he had elite talent, they won trophies. They never dipped down below being solid though.

In fact, none of the coaches you referenced have had NCOY to FBS Worst type swings.

So again, the question, that I'm torn on, is what role is Allen's LEO approach playing on these wild swings?

My guess, from outside the walls, is that he leverages it too much, and it ends up effecting the accountability needed to master all the little things it takes to be a consistently successful football program.
Nothing was more consistent than Jiminezes pump fake to a pass. Pure genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT