ADVERTISEMENT

Kristian Williams decommits from Minnesota

No surprise since Fleck purged the defensive side. I hope it's us but I agree with others it will be Oregon.

Oregon insiders think it's us or Memphis.
There has been a thought with him that he would like to stay closer to home, Oregon is certainly not that, however they have a lot of bells and whistles that are tough to pass up. I still think we have a shot here. Also think we will get Sanguinetti with Powell to NC State.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
There has been a thought with him that he would like to stay closer to home, Oregon is certainly not that, however they have a lot of bells and whistles that are tough to pass up. I still think we have a shot here. Also think we will get Sanguinetti with Powell to NC State.
Seems like a possibility(Sanguinetti), plus Kristian Williams is supposedly in play. If we snag those two, this will be BY FAR our best class ever. It's already the best, but that would put it at another level, well beyond any IU classes of the past.

Reactions: bsaus and Sassy61
Seems like a possibility(Sanguinetti), plus Kristian Williams is supposedly in play. If we snag those two, this will be BY FAR our best class ever. It's already the best, but that would put it at another level, well beyond any IU classes of the past.
not some of Pont's classes, especially post-Rose Bowl--they didn't have rankings back then, but between some of the in-state guys and some legit blue-chip guys from Ohio and other places, Pont could really recruit.

And then it all went up in smoke...

not some of Pont's classes, especially post-Rose Bowl--they didn't have rankings back then, but between some of the in-state guys and some legit blue-chip guys from Ohio and other places, Pont could really recruit.

And then it all went up in smoke...
That's going back to an era that's so different from nowadays it's hard to evaluate. Although I certainly don't want to discount his & their accomplishments. They're some of the only ones we have.

That's going back to an era that's so different from nowadays it's hard to evaluate. Although I certainly don't want to discount his & their accomplishments. They're some of the only ones we have.
people who weren't around back then don't understand what a coup it was for Pont to get TOP guys out of Ohio, like McNulty, that Woody really wanted. IIRC, Ted was the Ohio state player of the year in the largest class (5A, I think, back then) but his old family IU connections won out. Gonso, Stolberg, Pernell, Pawlitsch, etc. Not to mention some East Coast guys like St. Pierre and Barzilauskas.

Hard to compare eras, though, since the scholarship limits didn't really exist back then, and freshmen weren't eligible.

Last edited:
people who weren't around back then don't understand what a coup it was for Pont to get TOP guys out of Ohio, like McNulty, that Woody really wanted. IIRC, Ted was the Ohio state player of the year in the largest class (5A, I think, back then) but his old IU connections won out. Gonso, Stolberg, Pernell, Pawlitsch, etc. Not to mention some East Coast guys like St. Pierre and Barzilauskas.

Hard to compare eras, though, since the scholarship limits didn't really exist back then, and freshmen weren't eligible.
I spent many quarter (nickel?) beer nights at Barzo's Blitz.....

I get a hangover just thinking about it.

I'm predicting he'll transfer after 1 year. Too far from home and a totally different culture.
Honestly, I thought the same thing, but guess only time will tell. Wish him the best no matter what.

Honestly, I thought the same thing, but guess only time will tell. Wish him the best no matter what.
Sorta reminds me a little of Juan Harris, who could never quite seem to be committed.

It's great to be wine-and-dine'd but quite another to go to classes and do the daily grind in a place and environment you aren't accustomed to.

Sorta reminds me a little of Juan Harris, who could never quite seem to be committed.

It's great to be wine-and-dine'd but quite another to go to classes and do the daily grind in a place and environment you aren't accustomed to.
So true and I bet for most freshman there is an adjustment period which some can't quite get over.

We’d be foolish to not offer Jean.
Body size, fit to position and all of that aside.....this kid is not a “reach” any more than several DEs and DTs we took in the last 2 classes.

We’d be foolish to not offer Jean.
Body size, fit to position and all of that aside.....this kid is not a “reach” any more than several DEs and DTs we took in the last 2 classes.

And....., he "wants" to be here... I sure hope we find a way to bring him onboard.

If we bring in 2 top rated OT's and our highest rated C/G, plus our top DT, I could understand missing on him; otherwise we need to find room for him (in my opinion)...

If we have to find a ball hawking safety and can't get a top guy with these five slots, I say see if Reece Taylor wants to move FS; DB is were he originally wanted to play coming in...

Williams - signed with Oregon as expected.

T.J. Jones - signed with Penn State as expected.

Ira Henry - expected an FSU signing at 2 pm EST.

Dawand Jones - expected to sign with OSU at 6:30 pm EST.

Kam Bell posted this

Bell would have a legitimate shot at starting next fall if he comes here. Not sure he would at FSU & Auburn.

Let's hope he heads here...

So the "close out" announcement from IU FB official site would have only been referring to today? Meaning Bell still a shot? My gut says he's informed them already, not coming to IU. Is what it is, and bet the patience for some grad transfers will pay off between now and the summer.

Be prepared to get shocked!

We basically missed out on all the guys we had on the leader board for the last 5 spots.

Interestingly, Danielson Ike chose SMU over supposedly a host of offers. That’s a head scratcher.

Oh, well.....they need to work with what they’ve got.

We basically missed out on all the guys we had on the leader board for the last 5 spots.

Interestingly, Danielson Ike chose SMU over supposedly a host of offers. That’s a head scratcher.

Oh, well.....they need to work with what they’ve got.
Yeah. I really was positive about Williams. Best of luck to him. Hope it works out and he is comfortable with decision.

Reactions: ESalum86
A bit of a bummer we didn't get some of these guys. I take solace in the fact that we were in with some pretty big names after missing on bowls the last two years. Can you imagine what this staff could do of we actually won 7 or 8 games?

Reactions: 76-1 and mk23
A bit of a bummer we didn't get some of these guys. I take solace in the fact that we were in with some pretty big names after missing on bowls the last two years. Can you imagine what this staff could do of we actually won 7 or 8 games?

Latrell Jean signed with FAU. I still say it was a mistake to not pursue him harder. His size may be a limitation, true, as seen in this drill vs. 4-star Chris Aporoghene, a Tennessee commit who outweighs him by 50 lbs. On the other hand, he beat Florida commit Kingsley Equakun like a drum in drills:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT