ADVERTISEMENT

Kofi is gone

They are losing Kofi Cockburn, Alfonso Plummer, Trent Frazier, Andre Curbelo, Da'Monte Williams and very possible to also lose Jacob Grandison. They have a decent recruiting class coming in but transfer dependent, they are likely to be a young team playing in what is now a very veteran driven NCAA.

They are losing Kofi Cockburn, Alfonso Plummer, Trent Frazier, Andre Curbelo, Da'Monte Williams and very possible to also lose Jacob Grandison. They have a decent recruiting class coming in but transfer dependent, they are likely to be a young team playing in what is now a very veteran driven NCAA.
Young Talent trumps veterans with less talent

Young Talent trumps veterans with less talent
It can. The problem is the NCAA has top talent staying longer so it's not an issue of non-talented veterans, its high end veteran teams. So the UK practice of getting a team of one-n-dones getting them places is going to be much much tougher.

When guys like Garza, Cockburn, TJD are constantly bucking a trend that has been around for 20+ years of getting out early in favor of NIL money (let alone the 6th year guys), you're beginning to see the game revert to more high quality top end veteran teams. It's one of the few unseen benefits of this chaos the game is in.

Last edited:
Reactions: asindc
Since I am fan of High School sports in the Fort I really want Luke Goode to get a great shot at making an impact.
Excited to see Goode play this year. By the time of our Second Round loss to Houston, he was one of the few players (along with freshman Melendez of horrible-technical-foul-on-the-dunk fame and Hawkins) who were showing any sign of life. We will definitely have a bit of a rebuilding year (i.e., I doubt anyone is projecting us to retain our Big Ten crown), but it will be exciting to watch some of the new guys (especially Skyy Clark) get a chance to take the reins and the slightly older guys get a bigger role. That latter category definitely includes Goode. He had some struggles early on, but he definitely really impressed me for a freshman, and he got a lot better toward the end of the year.

Excited to see Goode play this year. By the time of our Second Round loss to Houston, he was one of the few players (along with freshman Melendez of horrible-technical-foul-on-the-dunk fame and Hawkins) who were showing any sign of life. We will definitely have a bit of a rebuilding year (i.e., I doubt anyone is projecting us to retain our Big Ten crown), but it will be exciting to watch some of the new guys (especially Skyy Clark) get a chance to take the reins and the slightly older guys get a bigger role. That latter category definitely includes Goode. He had some struggles early on, but he definitely really impressed me for a freshman, and he got a lot better toward the end of the year.
Illinois will take a big step back. You lost 85% of your production.

On the SXM Sports Update at top and bottom of the hour the announcer is pronouncing it cock-burn, not co-burn. I've giggled every time.

Illinois always chokes along with Iowa

You’re still trying to get back to having opportunities to choke, so wait to be cocky until you’re at least KIND OF good again. ;)
Your last time getting past opening weekend was 2005. Think about that. We were Sweet 16 in 2012, 2013, and 2016 so save us the lectures.

I'm not saying we don't have delusional fans, but having lived in Illinois the last 30 years, you guys take it to a new level. Even our down periods are better than what you usually produce in March.

You guys are going to suck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT