ADVERTISEMENT

Koby Brea and next season

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
Brea looks like the best shooter (by far) in the portal. IU and UK have been in contact (probably others too). UK program seems to be a bit of a mess at the moment. Who knows how this plays out. Have not heard any confirmation yet that Brea has returned the interest to IU.

If by chance CMW could pull that off....and assuming Carlyle is in the bag like others here are believing, that would give us a lineup including:

MR
MM
Ballo
Rice
Carlyle
Brea

All of which would see $750K-$1.2M (speculated in most cases) in NIL to play here. And last time I checked the NCAA rules, you cannot start 6 players. Someone has to come off the bench. Obviously I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse, but if CMW hits the jackpot over the next week, this would be his reality. Someone making close/over $1M in NIL will not be a starter if this all pans out.

Then you still have Newton, Gallo, Cupps, and maybe another big TBD. EDIT- and Tucker, our 5 star incoming Frosh.

Not sure what to say/think....but assuming MM works hard this summer and continues to develop....AND, we could land Brea, we could really solve the shooting problems. At least, for one season.

Last edited:
Brea was the best shooter in the nation last year. 49.8% on over 200 attempts. Tall at 6'7". He is strictly a shooter 6 out of 7 of his attempts per game were from 3. He can get his shot off anytime he wants high release and height. He is top of my wish list. CARLYE MALONE BREA AND CONWELL and this team is better than good!

Brea was the best shooter in the nation last year. 49.8% on over 200 attempts. Tall at 6'7". He is strictly a shooter 6 out of 7 of his attempts per game were from 3. He can get his shot off anytime he wants high release and height. He is top of my wish list. CARLYE MALONE BREA AND CONWELL and this team is better than good!
Its sounding like Essegian...unless the smoke right now is about something else. And you'd have to think that would eliminate Brea. He posted a list of the schools that have reached out, and its basically everyone. He's going to be a hot commodity.

But man, if we were to sign Carlyle, Conwell, and Malone... That starts to get really tricky in terms of playing time management. Rice, Carlyle, Conwell, Mack, Ballo, Reneau, Tucker...Galloway... ALL of those guys have understandable starting spot claims. That's your main rotation right there, but managing the starting roles AND the finishing roles, would be pretty difficult.

Good problem to have! But notice I didn't even mention guys like Cupps, Leal, Malone, Newton...

Its crazy how we've gone from "we don't have anyone"...to questioning if we'd have too many starters.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Brea looks like the best shooter (by far) in the portal.
Brenden Hausen - Nova
Cade Tyson - Belmont
Chris Youngblood - S.Florida

Are all on the same tier as Brea and could argue that statement. All four are catch and shoot types that need shots created for them. Youngblood is the only one that has much of an offensive game beyond that but he's still not a guy that can get threes off without a set up, Hausen isn't as proven as the rest but UConn is on him...

Aiden Mahaney is in the next tier and has far better overall game than any of the above. Much rather have someone with a complete game like him than any of the above.

Last edited:
Its sounding like Essegian...unless the smoke right now is about something else. And you'd have to think that would eliminate Brea. He posted a list of the schools that have reached out, and its basically everyone. He's going to be a hot commodity.

But man, if we were to sign Carlyle, Conwell, and Malone... That starts to get really tricky in terms of playing time management. Rice, Carlyle, Conwell, Mack, Ballo, Reneau, Tucker...Galloway... ALL of those guys have understandable starting spot claims. That's your main rotation right there, but managing the starting roles AND the finishing roles, would be pretty difficult.

Good problem to have! But notice I didn't even mention guys like Cupps, Leal, Malone, Newton...

Its crazy how we've gone from "we don't have anyone"...to questioning if we'd have too many starters.
What a difference a couple weeks makes, huh?

I don't think we get Conwell .. we'll see. The portal should get a bunch of names added in the next few weeks ... I keep hearing some will be high level and surprising.

Brenden Hausen - Nova
Cade Tyson - Belmont
Chris Youngblood - S.Florida

Are all on the same tier as Brea and could argue that statement. All four are catch and shoot types that need shots created for them. Youngblood is the only one that has much of an offensive game beyond that but he's still not a guy that can get threes off without a set up, Hausen isn't as proven as the rest but UConn is on him...

Aiden Mahaney is in the next tier and has far better overall game than any of the above. Much rather have someone with a complete game like him than any of the above.
Brea lead the nation in 3 point shooting

Disagree. It is Indiana basketball not the Indiana Pacers. Woodson will be out a job if he doesn't make the NCAA tourney next year and retain his players for the following year. They are not under contract , and the team is the priority, not playing time and managing egos like they do in the NBA.

Winning games for IU and having kids who represebt the university and the basketball program well is what matters.

Yeah I 100% agree! I dont see both Carlyle and Conwell either both want to be starters. My wish list as of right now would be:
1.MALONE
2.CONWELL(only because hes more proven then Carlyle)
3.BREA
4.CARLYLE
5.ESSEGIAN
But i would be happy with any of them because it is like a 1a or 1b situation.

Disagree. It is Indiana basketball not the Indiana Pacers. Woodson will be out a job if he doesn't make the NCAA tourney next year and retain his players for the following year. They are not under contract , and the team is the priority, not playing time and managing egos like they do in the NBA.

Winning games for IU and having kids who represebt the university and the basketball program well is what matters.
Having bad chemistry because kids are pissed about playing time will cost you just as many games as having lesser talent as a former high school coach and current ihsaa ref chemistry is real. Talent doesnt always win.

Reactions: nichlee

Mike Woodson will be coaching at Indiana as long as Mike Woodson wants to coach at Indiana..

Hey now ——

You stop making sense this instant Mister!

Brea lead the nation in 3 point shooting
Yeah I know. in percentage but not in makes per game... but he was in the top 30. Which is probably why he's in the 1%.

The best way to gauge 3pt proficiency is to use the section of the PER formula that deals with 3pt shooting, then adjust it for pace and SOS.

It accounts for both how efficient and how prolific the player is. The other players listed had as good or better impact per game or per 40, shooting threes.

Reactions: Btownboom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT