Keys to the Game

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
In my opinion, and in no particular order, the keys to an IU victory are:

1) protecting the football
2) field position
3) clock management

First, Purdue's going to score points. That's a given. But we can't make it any easier for them by turning the ball over. We'll need smart play and good hands, particularly from Ramsey and Scott.

Next, check out the drive chart from last week. Michigan routinely started drives from their 35 or better (sometimes much better). Our kickoff and punt game has to be much better tomorrow. If we routinely give Purdue a short field, we will pay.

Our offense needs to really help our D. A bunch of three and outs would be deadly. We need a big game from the OL and from Stevie, with an ability to move the chains and control the clock.

Other keys? What do you think?

Last edited:

2) field position
3) clock management

First, Purdue's going to score points. That's a given. But we can't make it any easier for them by turning the ball over. We'll need smart play and good hands, particularly from Ramsey and Scott.

Next, check out the drive chart from last week. Michigan routinely started drives from their 35 or better (sometimes much better). Our kickoff and punt game has to be much better tomorrow. If we routinely give Purdue a short field, we will pay.

Our offense needs to really help our D. A bunch of three and outs would be deadly. We need a big game from the OL and from Stevie, with an ability to move the chains and control the clock.

I think you have to continue with the same approach to kickoffs as last week. Kick it high and to the 25 away from Moore. No reason to give him any extra chances to make a big play. Keep everything in front and bend don't break.

If we hold them to field goals like we did against Michigan we win going away.

I think you have to continue with the same approach to kickoffs as last week. Kick it high and to the 25 away from Moore. No reason to give him any extra chances to make a big play. Keep everything in front and bend don't break.

If we hold them to field goals like we did against Michigan we win going away.
I hear you, and maybe you're right, but I just don't think we'll be able to make all those red zone stops against this team. Purdue's offense is better and more explosive than Michigan's. I don't like our chances if our D is defending a short field all afternoon.

Reactions: IUCol
Brohm on one sideline and not the other is a key.

I agree.

He’s a liability and a distraction.

If he won’t make a statement before the game that he is staying, fire his ass.

A Boilermaker should coach in the Bucket Game. Not some Louisville wannabe.

In his whole career as a HC, he’s recruited one good player, and he had to play the “I played at a Trinity and my daddy coached you at Trinity” card to get him.

Without Petrino and Hazell, the guy might be 0-fer.

No loyalty in him either.
He quit on Western.
He’s quitting on Purdue.

No wonder Purdue isn’t trying to keep him.
He’s not tough enough for even the Big Sissy Division.

Go on. Take the money and run.

The league will better off without him.
Let him go to the ACC when it’s now Dabo and The Chokers.

POTFB.

POTGreatBrohmbardi.

full_metal_jacket.gif

Tackling in space will be a key.

We have to keep them in front of us and turn what would ordinarily be TD's for them into Field Goals.

Keeping the self inflicted errors such as Offsides penalties and dead ball fouls to a minimum will be key too...

My approach to Kickoffs in this game would be simple: kick it to either corner of the endzone with the hope that A: it went out the back of the endzone (no return); B: perhaps the returner makes the mistake of fielding the ball while accidentally stepping out of bounds; or, C: it goes out of bounds and they get no further than the 35... (in which case, what used to be considered a horrible gaffe is now a decent strategy given our kick coverage struggles...)

We've proven, for whatever reason, that attempting to cover kick returns is asking for Major trouble so why even allow the opposition to even attempt a return?

Seems like a common sense approach to me...

Last edited:
I agree.

In his whole career as a HC, he’s recruited one good player, and he had to play the “I played at a Trinity and my daddy coached you at Trinity” card to get him.

He quit on Western.
He’s quitting on Purdue.

POTFB.

POTGreatBrohmbardi.

full_metal_jacket.gif

I 2nd MTIOTF's "key" too;)

I hear you, and maybe you're right, but I just don't think we'll be able to make all those red zone stops against this team. Purdue's offense is better and more explosive than Michigan's. I don't like our chances if our D is defending a short field all afternoon.

Really depends on what offense shows up. The one that lost to EMU at home and lost by 31 @ Minny.

Or the one that put up 50 on Ohio St..

I don't think many teams have a better offense in the country if the latter shows up. But I would argue we have a better offense than the former or those 2.

Really depends on what offense shows up. The one that lost to EMU at home and lost by 31 @ Minny.

Or the one that put up 50 on Ohio St..

I don't think many teams have a better offense in the country if the latter shows up. But I would argue we have a better offense than the former or those 2.

I’ll notch that OSU win predominantly up to OSU mailing it in moreso than Purdue playing lights out. OSU has an equally bad defensive performance against Maryland, but won because their offense showed up

Reactions: 76-1
Tackling in space will be a key.

We have to keep them in front of us and turn what would ordinarily be TD's for them into Field Goals.

Keeping the self inflicted errors such as Offsides penalties and dead ball fouls to a minimum will be key too...

My approach to Kickoffs in this game would be simple: kick it to either corner of the endzone with the hope that A: it went out the back of the endzone (no return); B: perhaps the returner makes the mistake of fielding the ball while accidentally stepping out of bounds; or, C: it goes out of bounds and they get no further than the 35... (in which case, what used to be considered a horrible gaffe is now a decent strategy given our kick coverage struggles...)

We've proven, for whatever reason, that attempting to cover kick returns is asking for Major trouble so why even allow the opposition to even attempt a return?

Seems like a common sense approach to me...
I like this approach. Worse case they get it at the 35. Best case they are pinned inside the 10 yrd line.

Reactions: 76-1

2) field position
3) clock management

An effective pass rush

Reactions: 76-1 and IUCol
Penalties will be crucial...who remains most disciplined mostly likely will win. Tackle, tackle, tackle...cover kicks...did I say tackle? Run the ball, dink and dunk, occasional bomb to a TE, no stupid animal tricks from the sidelines.

If Blough is allowed to throw without pressure, we will most likely lose.

And of course, T-A-C-K-L-E! Slobber knocking, head thumping, teeth rattling tackling! No cheap shots but hit hard. The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
I agree.

He quit on Western.
He’s quitting on Purdue.

POTFB.

POTGreatBrohmbardi.

full_metal_jacket.gif
Love that movie

A key stat to keep track of is whether we have held them to less than 150 yards rushing. Seems counterintuitive but they rarely win when they don't hit 150 or better rushing...

Bring Back the Bucket!

I agree.

He quit on Western.
He’s quitting on Purdue.

POTFB.

POTGreatBrohmbardi.

full_metal_jacket.gif
You were saying?

Weren’t you going to “shove something down the throats” of some people today?

I can’t wait to see where you go from here.

I agree.

He quit on Western.
He’s quitting on Purdue.

POTFB.

POTGreatBrohmbardi.

full_metal_jacket.gif
And a HS Coach should coach Indiana. Sounds about right...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT