ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas

Battimi

Senior
Apr 26, 2002
twice in the last three seasons these teams have all missed the sweet 16 after 40 years of at least one making it.

Reactions: bailey777
twice in the last three seasons these teams have all missed the sweet 16 after 40 years of at least one making it.
Nice stat but given we have made threee sweet sixeteens is 23 years I would kill to have the success those programs have had. Still blows my mind we fired Crean to hire Archie who was the worst coach the program has ever had. It was basically just throwing away four years. Granted I wanted crean gone but you usually fire a coach so you can upgrade not downgrade.

That
Nice stat but given we have made threee sweet sixeteens is 23 years I would kill to have the success those programs have had. Still blows my mind we fired Crean to hire Archie who was the worst coach the program has ever had. It was basically just throwing away four years. Granted I wanted crean gone but you usually fire a coach so you can upgrade not downgrade.
That ended up being a weird coaching class of available candidates, (Holtmann, Underwood, Miller, Mack) all hired at the same time. Not to say all of them have been equal in success, but clearly even the two still at their schools there are plenty of questions if they are the “right guy”, while the other two flamed out. All 4 were considered “really good hires”. Timing can be fickle.

Four sweet16s in 23 years! Focus on the positive! lol

That

That ended up being a weird coaching class of available candidates, (Holtmann, Underwood, Miller, Mack) all hired at the same time. Not to say all of them have been equal in success, but clearly even the two still at their schools there are plenty of questions if they are the “right guy”, while the other two flamed out. All 4 were considered “really good hires”. Timing can be fickle.

What we should all know by now, there is rarely ever a sure thing in hiring coaches....the vast majority of the time it's a crapshoot, and more often than not it doesn't work out. Particularly when you are gunning for top echelon results.

That’s what happens when Fred Glass does the hiring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT