ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Fan Here

Yeh, why mess up the Arizona and KU game. Try to build something long term with those teams. KU is the defending champs and probably would of won in the suspended COVID year. Keep that one going. UCLA will soon be on the schedule a lot. I wouldn't take the UK game back on the schedule until Cal leaves.

And ? Doesn’t he every year?
I worded it wrong. His last top 4(that played)recruit was was 7 years ago. While they have had top 2 classes the last several were not what the pre 2015 classes were. He’s a salesman that went after ranking first. You wait and see with Drake/Nike money coming they will get more top 4-5 kids.

IU said "Home and Home, alternating."

Cal said "100% neutral sites."

IU then said: "OK, here's an idea, let's split it right down the middle. 50-50. A 4 year rotation: Neutral site-Your Place-Neutral site-Our place ."

Cal said "I don't compromise. We're Kentucky. It's my way or the highway, 100% neutral sites".

IU said "F**K OFF, dude"

That seems to be where we are. One side willing to go halfway and the other not willing to budge an inch.
This is correct, and one of the reasons Cal weaseled out of the compromise is that IU was going to kick their asses in Rupp the next season and He wanted no part of that.

This is correct, and one of the reasons Cal weaseled out of the compromise is that IU was going to kick their asses in Rupp the next season and He wanted no part of that.
yep, he knew Cody and #1 IU were going to come into Rupp and bitch slap Nerlens Noel and gang for forty minutes on CBS. Home non-conf win streak over. Convenient time to hit the eject button.

yep, he knew Cody and #1 IU were going to come into Rupp and bitch slap Nerlens Noel and gang for forty minutes on CBS. Home non-conf win streak over. Convenient time to hit the eject button.
And there was no scenario where Cal was gonna play IU in Lex the next year. No way. It is why he weasel out of the perfect compromise.

No doubt he can recruit, even in his 'off' seasons. But what he stays on top of is being manipulative. Schedule, venues and the opponents chosen for each. I'm not sure if 8 different P5 coaches coached the same players over a common timeline against the same schedule he'd be in the top 4 with W's. Chosen circumstances have played a large part of his coaching prowess. That's why he's coaching at the "bait and tackle store".

Maybe it's been discussed in this thread (or another one), but perhaps our Kentucky friend here can shed some light on why the Wildcats removed Notre Dame from the 2022-23 schedule and replaced them with Duquesne? They're going to play again in the 2023-24 season, only at Cal's favorite site, a neutral site. Maybe he didn't want Notre Dame to beat them a 3rd year in a row?

Last edited:
Bring back UK IU series. Home and Home. Bloomington and Lexington. No neutral sites. What say ye Hoosier fans?
Makes sense, but I am sure the neutral site is off the table as Cal could increase his recruiting around Indy where IU wouldn't increase anything especially considering the talent drop off in Kentucky High Schools.

Great Move by IU to not give in on that as Cal is still a good recruiter although it has dropped off in recent years.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Makes sense, but I am sure the neutral site is off the table as Cal could increase his recruiting around Indy where IU wouldn't increase anything especially considering the talent drop off in Kentucky High Schools.

Great Move by IU to not give in on that as Cal is still a good recruiter although it has dropped off in recent years.
Playing all the games in Indy would have ZERO impact on Cal's ability to recruit Indiana. ZERO. On the other hand, IU's ability to recruit nationally would be positively impacted by the national TV game. IF Indiana has a player good enough to play at UK, Cal will know about him, and that player will be very familiar with UK.

Why do you believe playing all games in Indpls will HELP UK's recruiting, and not IU?

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
That's been true in recent years - especially the 2020-21 debacle. But Calipari was successful as hell for his first 11 seasons in Lexington.

1 Championship
1 Runner-Up
4 Final Fours
7 Elite Eights
6 1st/T1 in SEC

You could make the argument that he should've done even more than that, considering the trainloads of elite recruits he's had. But I'd put that 11 year run up against pretty much any other, save for Wooden's heyday.
Duke says hold my beer. 11 Seasons spanning 1990/‘91 - 2000/2001
- 5 Final Fours
- 3 Nat’l Championships (B2B 91 and 92)
- 2 Nat’l Runner Up
- 1 elite 8
- 1 sweet 16
- 8 ACC Regular Season Titles
- 4 ACC Tourney titles and 2 runner Ups

...and that is the crux of the argument... Criminallipari needs Hoosier state talent so neutral sites are his demand...in fact I say his results of lower standing over the last 4 years are because he has not been able to force his demands..."to hell with him"...

Playing all the games in Indy would have ZERO impact on Cal's ability to recruit Indiana. ZERO. On the other hand, IU's ability to recruit nationally would be positively impacted by the national TV game. IF Indiana has a player good enough to play at UK, Cal will know about him, and that player will be very familiar with UK.

Why do you believe playing all games in Indpls will HELP UK, and not IU?
'The' real Q is why Criminallipari doesn't want a home and home. I say he's Chicken Shit and garners no advantage for pUKe.

Why do you believe playing all games in Indpls will HELP UK's recruiting, and not IU?
Because it gives Cal a platform in the middle of one of the best states of High School talent....To answer your other obvious question....IU already plays in Indiana.

Because it gives Cal a platform in the middle of one of the best states of High School talent....To answer your other obvious question....IU already plays in Indiana.
oh, c'mon, Cal and UK have a platform in Inpls already, with every game on ESPN or National TV. UK is at Every AAU tourney. ** Cal has signed, I believe, only ONE Indpls Area recruit (Trey Lyles) since he has been at UK. UK is recognized as one of the top 3 programs, and IU can only benefit by playing them, every year, in Indpls on national TV. Playing this game every year in Indpls can only help IU, and UK could care less about Indiana HS players ranked in the 30-100 spots, as UK gets higher rated players than that. These same Indiana HS players don't even know that IU was once in UK's blue blood status. This game would reinforce IU's status in college hoops.

The only Indpls area player in the next THREE years that UK MIGHT be interested in is JHarrelson from Fishers. Guess what - UK already knows about him. Playing UK every year will help IU to become relevant again. Playing in early December - a more veteran IU team will win its share of games against the 5 star frosh of UK.

Platform...LOL, recruiting is not like it was in 1980 any more...

**Edit: Teague from Pike also went to UK. The problem with that is , when I talked to him MT indicated that he barely heard from IU.

Last edited:
oh, c'mon, Cal and UK have a platform in Inpls already, with every game on ESPN or National TV. UK is at Every AAU tourney. Cal has signed, I believe, only ONE Indpls Area recruit (Trey Lyles) since he has been at UK. UK is recognized as one of the top 3 programs, and IU can only benefit by playing them, every year, in Indpls on national TV. Playing this game every year in Indpls can only help IU, and UK could care less about Indiana HS players ranked in the 30-100 spots, as UK gets higher rated players than that. These same Indiana HS players don't even know that IU was once in UK's blue blood status. This game would reinforce IU's status in college hoops.

The only Indpls area player in the next THREE years that UK MIGHT be interested in is JHarrelson from Fishers. Guess what - UK already knows about him. Playing UK every year will help IU to become relevant again. Playing in early December - a more veteran IU team will win its share of games against the 5 star frosh of UK.

Platform...LOL, recruiting is not like it was in 1980 any more...
Only 7 from indiana have went to UK (since 1990) to play. You forgot Teague.

Yes Teague and he was on the last team to play IU home and away.....I promise you Cal would benefit greatly and he knows it.....His recruiting has fallen off every since Wisky beat that undefeated team full of 5 stars!
You think he would benefit? Lmao. 7 kids in 32 years and 2 in the last 23? That’s not a great track record. The numbers aren’t going to change even if he plays us. They already play in Indy almost every year. I’m more worried about other B1G schools than Cal and UK poaching a kid.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
You think he would benefit? Lmao. 7 kids in 32 years and 2 in the last 23? That’s not a great track record. The numbers aren’t going to change even if he plays us. They already play in Indy almost every year. I’m more worried about other B1G schools than Cal and UK poaching a kid.
Hopefully as Woodson gets to winning again, we may not have to worry about anyone as much. He’s on the right track.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yes Teague and he was on the last team to play IU home and away.....I promise you Cal would benefit greatly and he knows it.....His recruiting has fallen off every since Wisky beat that undefeated team full of 5 stars!
Not sure recruiting has fallen off much...His 22 class was the worst class he's ever had at UK, rankings wise, and it was still the 5th best recruiting class.

Their play on the court has fallen off. And maybe they're not getting the right 5 star kids. But he's still getting them every year.

Not sure recruiting has fallen off much...His 22 class was the worst class he's ever had at UK, rankings wise, and it was still the 5th best recruiting class.

Their play on the court has fallen off. And maybe they're not getting the right 5 star kids. But he's still getting them every year.
It’s deceiving though. It’s because it’s a small class.

It’s deceiving though. It’s because it’s a small class.
Yeah...this years UK team will be older than a lot of his past teams. A couple guys chose to come back, Oscar mainly, and that hasn't happened a ton in the past. So Cal's classes have usually been pretty big classes every year...which has made it easier for him to have top ranked classes. But he was still getting 5 star kids...

This might actually be the year he breaks through and hangs another banner down there. The quite obvious trend has been most of the Final Four teams, and nearly always the Natty winners, are led by mostly upperclassmen. They'll have a couple frosh that play a lot...but 6 of their top 8 could be upperclassmen.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yeh, why mess up the Arizona and KU game. Try to build something long term with those teams. KU is the defending champs and probably would of won in the suspended COVID year. Keep that one going. UCLA will soon be on the schedule a lot. I wouldn't take the UK game back on the schedule until Cal leaves.
IMHO "probably" means it is more likely the would have won it than they would have not won it. It means better than 50%. I agree they were a very good team but how often does the favorite to win the national title actually win it?

Woodsin has shown with the schedule for this year that IU does not "need" Kentucky to find high ranked teams to play.
Agree. I’d still like to play them tho. The are often overrated early in the year due to churn.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Agree. I’d still like to play them tho. The are often overrated early in the year due to churn.
They're overrated...period. One championship in 24 years and they haven't won A GAME in the tourney the last few years. But, I agree with you...playing them is always fun.

Reactions: rocketo
You think he would benefit? Lmao. 7 kids in 32 years and 2 in the last 23? That’s not a great track record.
Mosy Ky fans would be surprised by this fact. They believe they have gotten more top Ind kids than this. Hell, purdue has done better than they have.

Regardless of which team is up or down, the IU/Ky game is made for TV Hoops drama nationally. We need to play each other.

Reactions: rocketo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT