ADVERTISEMENT

KENPOM DAY!!!

The season has officially started. I love me some Kenneth. However, he does not like my hoosiers! 49th, 17-13, and 9-11 in conference.... Missing the tourney for sure with that record. 4 way tie for 8th with MI, Nebraska, and Iowa. I would call that a total failure of a season.

I will gladly take any bets on that record. Anyone take the under???

Oh and PU is #1, will be great to see them not make the sweet 16.

Other notables, KU-2, Uconn-4, Auburn-15. Buckle up.
Would be interesting to see a chart of his preseason predicted record and final record for every team last year.

He's gotten better over the years at preseason predictions. Like any other data driven system, the more data, the better the information. But even he admits it takes a chunk of the season to take root, and become any sort of reliable predictor.

He has no clue how Mgbako is going to play, as an example...and Mack is a huge piece to our puzzle this year.
Yeah, we got no data on our sophomore led bench (tepid last year), Mackenzie, Ware, or Sparks in Big 10 play. Or, X’s effectiveness after his injury. Could start slow with Ware’s injury. Woodson showed he could coach up some D. The consistency on offense could take more time. I’ll take the over

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
The season has officially started. I love me some Kenneth. However, he does not like my hoosiers! 49th, 17-13, and 9-11 in conference.... Missing the tourney for sure with that record. 4 way tie for 8th with MI, Nebraska, and Iowa. I would call that a total failure of a season.

I will gladly take any bets on that record. Anyone take the under???

Oh and PU is #1, will be great to see them not make the sweet 16.

Other notables, KU-2, Uconn-4, Auburn-15. Buckle up.
IU did get votes in both polls … I think we’ll move up.

Sparks and Walker with experience and 3 five stars make this a pretty dang good unit.
Yeah ..I'm usually a prove it guy..
And I'm not in love with a bunch of a Woodson's in game strategy..
But the two things for any team.Be available..Have some talent..
I believe we have the second and that's a start...

sorry I think I make this statement around this time every year. Polls mean nothing to me until February, once you have some conf road games under your belt. IMHO.

If this team wants to be ranked before New Years...there are games on the early schedule to make that happen. Win in December, and we'll be top 15-20 come Jan 1.

sorry I think I make this statement around this time every year. Polls mean nothing to me until February, once you have some conf road games under your belt. IMHO.

If this team wants to be ranked before New Years...there are games on the early schedule to make that happen. Win in December, and we'll be top 15-20 come Jan 1.
If we beat Uconn, Auburn, KU, we will be #3 at minimum come New Years :). 5% shot, but there is a shot!!!

If we beat Uconn, Auburn, KU, we will be #3 at minimum come New Years :). 5% shot, but there is a shot!!!
We'd likely play Texas as well if we beat UConn, no? Isn't that Empire thing an actual tournament? Win all 4 of those games, and I can't fathom not being Number 1.

Also can't fathom winning all 4 of those games...

We'd likely play Texas as well if we beat UConn, no? Isn't that Empire thing an actual tournament? Win all 4 of those games, and I can't fathom not being Number 1.

Also can't fathom winning all 4 of those games...
yeah I'll take a split with all of these high tier games. And no embarrassing 20+ pt blowouts on national TV

Have a lot more talent than last year. JHS and TJD were banged up last year.
I disagree... TJD was the 2nd best player in college basketball and JHS was a ball dominant guard that was a 1st round pick. Not to mention, Race was a 5th year guy and Miller was your best catch and shoot tbreat. Both of which you didn't replace.

This year, your lead guard is a guy that in five previous seasons, has yet to put together a consistent full season. You're going to rely on a true freshman be your primary scorer, your main post presence really isn't a true post scorer, and you don't have an established shooter.

I disagree... TJD was the 2nd best player in college basketball and JHS was a ball dominant guard that was a 1st round pick. Not to mention, Race was a 5th year guy and Miller was your best catch and shoot tbreat. Both of which you didn't replace.

This year, your lead guard is a guy that in five previous seasons, has yet to put together a consistent full season. You're going to rely on a true freshman be your primary scorer, your main post presence really isn't a true post scorer, and you don't have an established shooter.
TO be fair, he said talent. Ware and Mgbako are upgrades, TALENT wise, to Race and Kopp----and its not even close.

We lost probably the best rim protector in college basketball and should be better defensively?
Yes. Perimeter defense is probably about 10x more important than interior defense. And we were below mediocre defensively last year on the perimeter in a lot of games.

Obviously losing TJDs rim protection is going to hurt. But if our perimeter D is better it’ll more than offset that loss.

Yes. Perimeter defense is probably about 10x more important than interior defense. And we were below mediocre defensively last year on the perimeter in a lot of games.

Obviously losing TJDs rim protection is going to hurt. But if our perimeter D is better it’ll more than offset that loss.

Creighton under McDermott has been pretty underwhelming, defensively in his tenure there. However, the last 2 seasons they have been top20 in KenPom. This is significantly better than his average which is somewhere in the 50s.

What's the difference between those 2 teams and all of his others? Ryan Kalkbrenner, an elite rim protector.

TJD was the second best player the last several months. He was nowhere near it when we played KU and AZ, that's all I was saying, They were banged up when we played our Noncon, JHS missed games and TJDs back was screwed from that hard fall. We should be much more talented and healthy for those particular games this year.

Now watch Ware Mack and X be out.

I don’t have high expectations at the beginning of the season, especially vs those top teams.
But IU could be an elite team by mid-season thru the finish.

8th place is about the norm for IU. IU finishing in the top-5 of the conference is a big success these days. MM and Ware would have to be lights out to get IU toward the top. Going to have growing pains and probably a sweep by Northwestern and Iowa yet again.

TO be fair, he said talent. Ware and Mgbako are upgrades, TALENT wise, to Race and Kopp----and its not even close.
Sure, but they're not upgrades to TJD and JHS. They are the ones you have to replace. I tossed in Race and Koff just reinforce that those were 5th year roll players that are also tough to replace.

Sure, but they're not upgrades to TJD and JHS. They are the ones you have to replace. I tossed in Race and Koff just reinforce that those were 5th year roll players that are also tough to replace.
1 spot...JHS to XJ...Different types of players...I'll give this one a wash. X is a lot better passer and defender. JHS obviously is better scorer, and probably a better shooter.

2 spot...Trey to Trey...stands to reason he'll be at least a tad better with another year under his belt.

3 spot...Miller to Mack...without question Mack is better, and more talented. The only area where I'd give Miller the nod was he was positionally very solid defensively. And that helped us a lot with JHS and others not being great on the ball defenders.

4 spot...Race to Ware...I used Ware here because it seems like he's more of an outside threat. Talent wise, this one is easy, Ware all day. But I actually call this one a wash, overall. Race wasn't perfect, obviously. But he was pretty darn solid, overall.

5 spot...TJD to Malik...obviously this one is a downgrade by any measure. TJD to Ware would also be a downgrade by any measure. I do think Malik, with a year under his belt, is going to be really, really good. And he's a former 5 star.

It'll be interesting how it all shakes out. Losing two NBA guys, obviously, creates a lot of question marks. Hopefully the answers are mostly good. There's definitely a lot of potential.

The three frontcourt starters are a freshman, a sophomore, and a transfer sophomore. IU has only two frontcourt players that are upperclass men, neither of whom has played a single minute yet for the team.

The two backcourt starters, a 6th-yr. senior and a true senior, together have more playing experience than the entire starting frontcourt combined, even more so when looking strictly at IU experience. And that’s even when taking In account time missed due to injuries.
Don't count Sparks out. The kid has started every game he has played in college. Sure, it was Ball State, but Woody likes to have a veteran player on the court to start. I like it as the veterans settle the amped up young players down and aren't as likely to turn the ball over or commit early fouls.

I think it would be a good move, but who would start the game on the bench? This is blown apart if Mgbako, Ware and Reneau play well together and are clearly ahead of the others. I would love to watch the practices!

Don't count Sparks out. The kid has started every game he has played in college. Sure, it was Ball State, but Woody likes to have a veteran player on the court to start. I like it as the veterans settle the amped up young players down and aren't as likely to turn the ball over or commit early fouls.

I think it would be a good move, but who would start the game on the bench? This is blown apart if Mgbako, Ware and Reneau play well together and are clearly ahead of the others. I would love to watch the practices!
I don’t.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I think it's about right we have no shooting teams are going to pack the paint make us shoot from the seats. I'm predicting 10-10 20-10.

lol ......... roll player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT