ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Dambrot - 12 straight seasons with 21 or more wins

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
Another coach who has been very successful but is rarely discussed. He has had an incredible run at Akron, and it seems by all accounts that it has been a dream job for him. And he isn't a young guy. But for crying out loud, if you are 300-134 from the MAC, then why in the heck aren't power conference schools looking at this guy? Was he in the running for the Pitt job last year?

Maybe if Chris Mack or Mick Cronin end up elsewhere then Xavier/Cincy might go after him him.

Dambrot's coaching record. Not enough NCAA Tournament wins to garner attention. And by not enough I mean none. Even John Groce could at least muster one run to parley that into a better gig.

Reactions: cmsnow84
Another coach who has been very successful but is rarely discussed. He has had an incredible run at Akron, and it seems by all accounts that it has been a dream job for him. And he isn't a young guy. But for crying out loud, if you are 300-134 from the MAC, then why in the heck aren't power conference schools looking at this guy? Was he in the running for the Pitt job last year?

Maybe if Chris Mack or Mick Cronin end up elsewhere then Xavier/Cincy might go after him him.
I would look at several factors when discussing coaches from lower level schools. First is the offensive and defensive coaching they do. Second, do they recruit beyond their level? If they do then there is the possibility they can get very good recruits when they move to a bigger school. We also must ask about discipline. Do they have it in their own lives and do they instill it in their student athletes. One thing I loved about Coach Knight was he demanded his players go to class. If memory serves his own son and Damon Bailey missed class and Coach ran them till they were exhausted.

I don't see how recruiting can be judged when looking at lower level school coaches. If IU goes to the lower level schools for their next coch then I vote for Henderson from Princeton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT