ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks transferring from Kentucky

Gotta be one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Top 5 off the top of my head, in no particular order: Earnest T, Jim Rockford, Newman, Jeanie (I Dream Of), and Audra Barkley (Linda Evans) on The Big Valley. F me, I'm old! HM to Kramer. Apologies to Winnie Cooper. Who did I leave out?
Best musical group, The Darlings. Just ahead of Bobby Fleet and His Band with the Beat.

Last edited:
True. We'll see what he can do with transfers.

I would assume it's easier to build a culture with guys who stay with a program for a few years rather than a group of mercenaries who will only be around for a year. Who knows if any transfers into UK will actually stick around.
That hasn't been working in Durham lately, either.

Back to the original topic - Brooks doesn't do any one thing that stands out to me, and as someone else pointed out he's a tweener. Doesn't shoot it well enough to be a standout perimeter player and not big enough to be a defensive/rebounding standout on the front line. Does OK at a lot of things but he seems to be more of a glue type of guy rather than a guy you build your team around. IU needs shooters and scoring.
Memphis too with Rose
And Tom Crean made a final four with Dwayne Wade...

UBFzcfp.gif

I'm not sure why the focus on what Keion does. He hasn't proven a thing so far at UK, stats are mediocre to poor (21.7% from 3 pt.), not even a consistent starter. I doubt he could really help IU all that much other than he shoots FT well. Could someone enlighten me as to his value? Why would we want him anyway, he took UK! over IU.

Reactions: jmix and Jssanto
I'm not sure why the focus on what Keion does. He hasn't proven a thing so far at UK, stats are mediocre to poor (21.7% from 3 pt.), not even a consistent starter. I doubt he could really help IU all that much other than he shoots FT well. Could someone enlighten me as to his value? Why would we want him anyway, he took UK! over IU.
My interest in him is that he rebounds at a high rate. He averaged 11.5 rebs per 40 minutes last year v. 8.8 for Race. He did shoot poorly on 3s, but at least he didn't take lots of them. He's fairly efficient shooting 2s and shot 80% on FTs last year. But the bottom line is we need someone to make up for Race's rebounding & D if he's gone.

What I don't know, since I haven't seen him play, is...is he a willing defender? His DE #s are very similar to those of Race. It's possible that he might be an able defender on those quick 6'6" or 6'7" swing players who were too quick for Race.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Some smoke over on BTB and KY rivals that Brooks is entering the portal and IU might be the end game. I'm not buying it, and not sure I would get exited if it were true...but, there are more whispers out there today.

We knew this spring would be different but damn...it's a flea market. Or maybe better analogy is "garage sale" ?

Reactions: kkott
Some smoke over on BTB and KY rivals that Brooks is entering the portal and IU might be the end game. I'm not buying it, and not sure I would get exited if it were true...but, there are more whispers out there today.

We knew this spring would be different but damn...it's a flea market. Or maybe better analogy is "garage sale" ?
I would take him in a heartbeat the kid can play

Reactions: kmathum and IULouie
He only averaged 1.75 three-point attempts per game in 16 games played last season. Yes, 21.4% from three is atrocious, but it's not as if he was a high-volume shooter with that percentage. I'd be interested to see if the IU staff could help him find his stroke...

That’s just it. Even the veterans are leaving. After that undefeated season they have gotten worse.
2 Elite 8’s and 1 Sweet 16 in the 4 years since undefeated regular season and we have gotten worse???

• 2016-17 Elite 8 loss to eventual Champ UNC on a last second shot

•2017-18 Sweet 16 loss to Kansas State

•2018-19 Elite 8 overtime loss to Auburn

• 2019-20 Won SEC Regular season. Post season cancelled due to Covid.

2020-21 Shitty year 9-16

Brooks is a very talented player. Would be the most talented player on IU if he transferred here. Problem is that Brooks (and mom and dad) were sold on the idea that simply attending Kentucky makes him an NBA player. It's not how it works. He was recruited into a log jam at his position and playing time wasn't there as a freshman. He was injured to start this year and thrown into a team with no chemistry and everyone playing for the name on the back of their jersey.

Put Brooks in the right system with the right coaching where the mindset isn't being an NBA farm system and he could thrive. We've seen plenty of Kentucky recruits who were sold the same false bill of goods, transfer out and have major success. Charles Matthews resurrected his career at Michigan. Johnny Juzang was by far and away the best player in this last tournament and may have just played his way into the lottery.

Brooks is a very talented player. Would be the most talented player on IU if he transferred here. Problem is that Brooks (and mom and dad) were sold on the idea that simply attending Kentucky makes him an NBA player. It's not how it works. He was recruited into a log jam at his position and playing time wasn't there as a freshman. He was injured to start this year and thrown into a team with no chemistry and everyone playing for the name on the back of their jersey.

Put Brooks in the right system with the right coaching where the mindset isn't being an NBA farm system and he could thrive. We've seen plenty of Kentucky recruits who were sold the same false bill of goods, transfer out and have major success. Charles Matthews resurrected his career at Michigan. Johnny Juzang was by far and away the best player in this last tournament and may have just played his way into the lottery.
Juzang was an absolute stud during the tourney.

2 Elite 8’s and 1 Sweet 16 in the 4 years since undefeated regular season and we have gotten worse???

• 2016-17 Elite 8 loss to eventual Champ UNC on a last second shot

•2017-18 Sweet 16 loss to Kansas State

•2018-19 Elite 8 overtime loss to Auburn

• 2019-20 Won SEC Regular season. Post season cancelled due to Covid.

2020-21 Shitty year 9-16
Yeah, for one thing it’s hard not to get “worse” after a nearly perfect season. Up until this year, Kentucky has continued to be solid under Calipari. Not sure what happened this year, but I wouldn’t expect it to last long.

The NCAA allows 13 scholarships for each team. With Brunk taking advantage of the free COVID year, he does not count against the scholarship limit. Here's how the roster currently breaks down by seniority:

0 - Joey Brunk
1 - Race Thompson
2 - Xavier Johnson
3 - Rob Phinisee
4 - Parker Stewart
5 - Jerome Hunter
6 - Trayce Jackson-Davis
7 - Khristian Lander
8 - Trey Galloway
9 - Anthony Leal
10 - Jordan Geronimo
11 - Logan Duncomb
12 - TBD
13 - TBD

At this point, let me put on my tinfoil hat for a moment. Humor me if you will.

If the whispers/rumblings/rumors about Keion Brooks transferring to IU are true and Armaan Franklin chooses to return to IU, that would fill out 13 full scholarship spots. If that happens, I will pull a Stone Cold Steve Austin with two 16-ounce Coors Lights in a state of pure joy.

Last edited:
The NCAA allows 13 scholarships for each team. With Brunk taking advantage of the free COVID year, he does not count against the scholarship limit. Here's how the roster currently breaks down by seniority:
0 - Joey Brunk
1 - Race Thompson
2 - Xavier Johnson
3 - Rob Phinisee
4 - Parker Stewart
5 - Jerome Hunter
6 - Trayce Jackson-Davis
7 - Khristian Lander
8 - Trey Galloway
9 - Anthony Leal
10 - Jordan Geronimo
11 - Logan Duncomb
12 - TBD
13 - TBD

If the whispers/rumblings/rumors about Keion Brooks transferring to IU are true and Armaan Franklin chooses to return to IU, that would fill out 13 full scholarship spots. If that happens, I will pull a Stone Cold Steve Austin with two 16-ounce Budweisers in a state of pure joy.
Stone cold is a silver bullet guy. Show some respect.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Stone cold is a silver bullet guy. Show some respect.
No disrespect to Stone Cold. I'm honestly not sure why I had Budweisers in mind.

0 - Joey Brunk
1 - Race Thompson
2 - Xavier Johnson
3 - Rob Phinisee
4 - Parker Stewart
5 - Jerome Hunter
6 - Trayce Jackson-Davis
7 - Khristian Lander
8 - Trey Galloway
9 - Anthony Leal
10 - Jordan Geronimo
11 - Logan Duncomb
12 - TBD
13 - TBD

If the whispers/rumblings/rumors about Keion Brooks transferring to IU are true and Armaan Franklin chooses to return to IU, that would fill out 13 full scholarship spots. If that happens, I will pull a Stone Cold Steve Austin with two 16-ounce Coors Lights in a state of pure joy.
Say what you want, but if that's the roster on opening night (with Brooks and Franklin) there will be expectations next year.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Say what you want, but if that's the roster on opening night (with Brooks and Franklin) there will be expectations next year.
I would agree with that. Personally, I wouldn't place any set of expectations on a team that includes Brooks and Franklin. I'm content to sit back and see what happens. After four years of Archie ball, I'd be happy simply to see the team play hard and have good body language.

Reactions: indiana ed
India liked about 100 posts on race coming back. I’m assuming Franklin follows suit. We better freaking win next year.
I just checked her "likes" on Twitter as well. I hate to read into stuff like that, especially after Armaan and Trayce drove to Fort Wayne to attend Keion Brooks' announcement ceremony only to see him pick the UK hat. I thought those two going up there was a sure sign Brooks to IU was a lock.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
There are over 1000 players in the portal. I don’t think that list is exactly correct or up to date.
It's what the ncaa.org lists as the most complete
Yeah, far from the "official" portal.
Yes, to be fair I should not have said "official." Obviously the official portal is only accessed through an ID and PW that NCAA athletic institutions have.

I got the link off of ncaa.org as the most up to date and complete player transfer site for us common fans.

0 - Joey Brunk
1 - Race Thompson
2 - Xavier Johnson
3 - Rob Phinisee
4 - Parker Stewart
5 - Jerome Hunter
6 - Trayce Jackson-Davis
7 - Khristian Lander
8 - Trey Galloway
9 - Anthony Leal
10 - Jordan Geronimo
11 - Logan Duncomb
12 - TBD
13 - TBD

What is Brooks personality?

I thought that was why they went to Kentucky to begin with. One and done and show me the money. Of course with the histories of Kentucky Basketball and Coach Cal. they may be showing them the Money before they get to Campus,
Really? Got any proof? 14 years not 1 NCaa violations. But some of you goofs still jump right to that. Hey sweaty I do believe IU , UNC , Duke and many others have gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar since Cal has been at UK. But stick to whatever makes you forget about your own programs issues.

Really? Got any proof? 14 years not 1 NCaa violations. But some of you goofs still jump right to that. Hey sweaty I do believe IU , UNC , Duke and many others have gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar since Cal has been at UK. But stick to whatever makes you forget about your own programs issues.

How many wins have been vacated by cal coached teams due to breaking the rules? Wonder if any other coach has vacated more wins than him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT