ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks transferring from Kentucky

Could it be that there are some very highly skilled college players who want to play for an NBA coach, even for a year or two, get some NBA-level coaching while improving their NBA-draft position? Like, say, play for Coach Mike Woodson?

Reactions: Jssanto
Old man Brooks said last week it wasn't happening. He was going to test the NBA waters and if he returned to CBB it would be kentucky.

I don't think you have to enter transfer portal to test the NBA waters. Transferring and going pro are 2 different things.

Reactions: TominDallas
you gotta love ernest t. he got his diploma and thanked his mother figure
Gotta be one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Top 5 off the top of my head, in no particular order: Earnest T, Jim Rockford, Newman, Jeanie (I Dream Of), and Audra Barkley (Linda Evans) on The Big Valley. F me, I'm old! HM to Kramer. Apologies to Winnie Cooper. Who did I leave out?

Gotta be one of my favorite TV characters of all time. Top 5 off the top of my head, in no particular order: Earnest T, Jim Rockford, Newman, Jeanie (I Dream Of), and Audra Barkley (Linda Evans) on The Big Valley. F me, I'm old! HM to Kramer. Apologies to Winnie Cooper. Who did I leave out?
jeanie and audra. yum yum. can you imagine being the filling for that sandwich?

jeanie and audra. yum yum. can you imagine being the filling for that sandwich?
what the F do you think I was doing in college, ya moron?

tenor.png

Could it be that there are some very highly skilled college players who want to play for an NBA coach, even for a year or two, get some NBA-level coaching while improving their NBA-draft position? Like, say, play for Coach Mike Woodson?
I thought that was why they went to Kentucky to begin with. One and done and show me the money. Of course with the histories of Kentucky Basketball and Coach Cal. they may be showing them the Money before they get to Campus,

I thought that was why they went to Kentucky to begin with. One and done and show me the money. Of course with the histories of Kentucky Basketball and Coach Cal. they may be showing them the Money before they get to Campus,
The jig is up with Cal. His first few teams had once in a lifetime type talent that could’ve went to the league regardless. He’s not been developing talent as well as thought. Askew is transferring after saying he was staying. Now maybe Brooks.

The jig is up with Cal. His first few teams had once in a lifetime type talent that could’ve went to the league regardless. He’s not been developing talent as well as thought. Askew is transferring after saying he was staying. Now maybe Brooks.
His biggest issue is he isn’t the only one doing it. So it’s tougher to get all the top guys he wants, and he certainly isn’t getting guys that are like you mention. Plus he seemed to have a better mix of solid veterans to mix before. I find it hilarious that UK sucks. I can’t stand those toothless fools

His biggest issue is he isn’t the only one doing it. So it’s tougher to get all the top guys he wants, and he certainly isn’t getting guys that are like you mention. Plus he seemed to have a better mix of solid veterans to mix before. I find it hilarious that UK sucks. I can’t stand those toothless fools
That’s just it. Even the veterans are leaving. After that undefeated season they have gotten worse.

Reactions: rocketo
He's been losing recruiting battles to Coach K. I said for years that Cal wasn't a great coach, just a great recruiter and the game would adapt....and it did. 2011 was a phenomenal class. Kentuck has to dominate the top 5 recruits for the 1 and done model to work. Now that IU has it's NBA coach, what does he think is going to happen? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Srad Btevens
I doubt UK fans are worried about Woodson at IU - that's the least of their worries. But they should be worried that World Wide Wes no longer funnels players to UK, that there are now minor league basketball options growing for players that don't want to go to college, that several other programs are chasing (and landing) the one and done players, and that players that don't get immediate big minutes in playing time tend to transfer out after their first year. Cal has never been more than a mediocre in-game coach, but he historically recruits top talent and usually gets them to play hard defensively. When you have a huge talent advantage over your opponent, that's usually enough to get you the win. When the talent disparity isn't that big, you see a season with only 9 wins.

I doubt UK fans are worried about Woodson at IU - that's the least of their worries. But they should be worried that World Wide Wes no longer funnels players to UK, that there are now minor league basketball options growing for players that don't want to go to college, that several other programs are chasing (and landing) the one and done players, and that players that don't get immediate big minutes in playing time tend to transfer out after their first year. Cal has never been more than a mediocre in-game coach, but he historically recruits top talent and usually gets them to play hard defensively. When you have a huge talent advantage over your opponent, that's usually enough to get you the win. When the talent disparity isn't that big, you see a season with only 9 wins.
Agree completely. The NBA and the Players Association have been working on making the G-League a much more attractive option to high school graduates who would like to avoid college altogether. That's another dent in Calipari's approach to recruiting.

Calipari would be better off adopting the recruiting strategy of Jay Wright or Mark Few.

Agree completely. The NBA and the Players Association have been working on making the G-League a much more attractive option to high school graduates who would like to avoid college altogether. That's another dent in Calipari's approach to recruiting.

Calipari would be better off adopting the recruiting strategy of Jay Wright or Mark Few.
Cal will get to experiment a bit this year with the free for all. He will get 2-3,4 transfers. See what he can do with them.

Cal will get to experiment a bit this year with the free for all. He will get 2-3,4 transfers. See what he can do with them.
True. We'll see what he can do with transfers.

I would assume it's easier to build a culture with guys who stay with a program for a few years rather than a group of mercenaries who will only be around for a year. Who knows if any transfers into UK will actually stick around.

I don’t see any evidence that Cal can “X and O” even close to the level of those coaches. If he doesn’t have a large talent disparity he’s going to struggleIMO.
That’s the weird thing though. Back at UMASS he had 1 great player and built a team around him. It’s not like he had a ton of talent. Those to me where his best coaching years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT