ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks, Jr.

I agree with all of that. His effort is great and he’s an athletic kid. I just haven’t seen anything he does that would make him a starter at IU, let alone UK. I almost wonder if his dad thought there was some kind of magic dust that would fix the areas of his game that require some serious mending (shooting, ball handling)? Seems like a good kid who will continue to struggle.
Keion is a 6'7" wing who has the ability to handle the ball, and can drive to the hoop with either hand. He finishes through contact, has excellent leaping ability for rebounds and second-chance points. He's an excellent spot-up shooter who shoots consistently from the three-point line. These are simply my observations from the times I was able to see him play with the Indy Heat and with Fort Wayne North in the Tip-Off Forum Classic.

I'm not sure what has transpired with him in Lexington under Calipari, but something just isn't working. I don't believe it has anything to do with talent. Quite simply, I believe Kentucky has better players who Cal would prefer to give the lion's share of the minutes.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Keion is a 6'7" wing who has the ability to handle the ball, and can drive to the hoop with either hand. He finishes through contact, has excellent leaping ability for rebounds and second-chance points. He's an excellent spot-up shooter who shoots consistently from the three-point line. These are simply my observations from the times I was able to see him play with the Indy Heat and with Fort Wayne North in the Tip-Off Forum Classic.

I'm not sure what has transpired with him in Lexington under Calipari, but something just isn't working. I don't believe it has anything to do with talent. Quite simply, I believe Kentucky has better players who Cal would prefer to give the lion's share of the minutes.
I simply haven’t seen him come close to consistently displaying those qualities, either at LaLu or UK. Might he have at IU? Maybe. But I think his body of work to date strongly suggests he’s far more of a development project than his rating would’ve indicated. I think Calipari, who obviously knows this stuff quite well, would agree, which is why he can’t get on the floor.

It's pretty staggering that he can't see the floor at UK. Cal really only plays 7 players. Brooks came in with 3 other wings, one being Kahlil Whitney who was a top 10 player who has already left the program, a second in Dontiae Allen who hasn't played a minute this year due to injury he suffered in high school, and then they got another wing in Juzang to reclassify late whose barely averaging 10 mpg. To not be able to see the floor given Kentucky's short rotation says a lot. They basically play 3 PG's that don't come off the court and rotate 3 bigs. Juzang and Brooks play sparingly when there's foul issues. I just don't think he's as good as he was billed.

I watched when he was at North Side. I saw a kid that played really hard, and was very talented too. I would love to have him at IU, if we got the player i saw at North Side. (haven't watched him recently)
Honesty? I feel bad for him some, b/c he is in a tough spot. Once you become that 8th guy at UK, it is hard to get back on top. He had way too many people in his ear ad trying to hang on to his ride. IMO, he seems like a good kid
i agree as well.. Unfortunately, his season numbers aren't much better than Damezi's are this yr...and we all seem to have settled in on what he'll be doing once this semester is over.

unfortunately he's shooting 17% from 3 this yr. Not going to buy you more playing time in Cal's system. Ever.

They only play 7 or 8 players of which he is one. He was getting 15 to 20 a game early but not much now. He got 2 minutes last night. Time to be selfish! Daddy will probably ship him off to europe to play after this season.

They only play 7 or 8 players of which he is one. He was getting 15 to 20 a game early but not much now. He got 2 minutes last night. Time to be selfish! Daddy will probably ship him off to europe to play after this season.
I could see that happening. Although, I believe he would be better served transferring and applying for a transfer waiver so he doesn't have to sit out a season. Seems to be an option other college players have taken.

Maybe playing against Race Thompson every day in practice might have helped him more than practicing against the UK one and doners.
IDK, while I'm happy about Race's recent improvement, he has basically been a walking injury for most of his IU career, I hope he gets it together.

Stupid AF. Even for you and that's saying something. No player with NBA aspirations ever chose a school with the thought in mind that he wouldn't play major minutes, just practice to get better.

I'll give you credit - you're persistent. Nobody ever doubled down on stupid like you do.

No, actually, many, many probably have. Mind you, the rule doesn't exist anymore, but freshman didn't used to get to play … and so a lot of good players have chosen that route. The rule doesn't exist anymore, but the better programs probably haven't deviated from the old system unless it's a sure fire star. Places like UK, UNC, and used to be us too, you had to earn it.

No, actually, many, many probably have. Mind you, the rule doesn't exist anymore, but freshman didn't used to get to play … and so a lot of good players have chosen that route. The rule doesn't exist anymore, but the better programs probably haven't deviated from the old system unless it's a sure fire star. Places like UK, and used to be us too, you had to earn it.
I can't begin to express how asinine of a position this is to take. The best high school prospects want to play immediately. Please provide an example of a top-flight prospect who expressed a desire to go to a school where he would receive minimal playing time so he could focus on getting good reps in practice.

This is pathetic.

Reactions: cybergates
No, actually, many, many probably have. Mind you, the rule doesn't exist anymore, but freshman didn't used to get to play … and so a lot of good players have chosen that route. The rule doesn't exist anymore, but the better programs probably haven't deviated from the old system unless it's a sure fire star. Places like UK, UNC, and used to be us too, you had to earn it.

you are talking about at time a generation or 2 ago that has no relevance to today. The reason elite freshman wouldn’t get big minutes was simply that the team already had older more experienced players that had comparable talent coming out of high school. Also, there has been a massive uptick in the training that many high school players are getting, so there is also a smaller learning curve and adjustment period physically and mentally for many kids when making the jump college (still big but considerably smaller than it used to be)

side note- Calipari has the Rivals #4 and #5 recruits- 5 stars- coming in the class of 2020. Both are 6 foot 6/ 6'7" wings. So Brooks better have a good summer because he might have been recruited over already.
Yeah, I had mentioned that earlier in the thread. That's what makes me think a transfer is inevitable. I've also seen a few people say he should go to the G-League or to Europe. What film is there of him to watch by G-League teams or European clubs? Very little. That's why I think he's better off transferring and applying for a transfer waiver so he doesn't have to sit out a year.

Yeah, I had mentioned that earlier in the thread. That's what makes me think a transfer is inevitable. I've also seen a few people say he should go to the G-League or to Europe. What film is there of him to watch by G-League teams or European clubs? Very little. That's why I think he's better off transferring and applying for a transfer waiver so he doesn't have to sit out a year.
What is a transfer waiver? To be honest I don't know what it is? Does it have something to do with extenuating circumstances like having a relative who is sick so you have to move near them? By what criteria would Brooks be able to get one?

Brooks is a good ball player but he doesn’t play at IU. Sure we’d like to have him but he didn’t pick us. I’m amazed that this thread is so long. Who cares at this point.
Go Hoosiers! Brooks is a cat.

Reactions: kkott
What is a transfer waiver? To be honest I don't know what it is? Does it have something to do with extenuating circumstances like having a relative who is sick so you have to move near them? By what criteria would Brooks be able to get one?
In the formal sense, a transfer waiver is exactly what you described -- an extenuating circumstance such as a sick relative. However, there have been examples of kids bypassing that rule altogether. Shea Patterson (former Ole Miss quarterback) transferred to Michigan without sitting out for a year by claiming he had been "misled by coaches during the recruiting process." Technically, Brooks could claim the same thing. It also helped Patterson that he had a bulldog of an attorney -- Tom Mars -- represent him in his case.

In the formal sense, a transfer waiver is exactly what you described -- an extenuating circumstance such as a sick relative. However, there have been examples of kids bypassing that rule altogether. Shea Patterson (former Ole Miss quarterback) transferred to Michigan without sitting out for a year by claiming he had been "misled by coaches during the recruiting process." Technically, Brooks could claim the same thing. It also helped Patterson that he had a bulldog of an attorney -- Tom Mars -- represent him in his case.
Thx for the response. It will be interesting if Brooks tries this and the answer he gives if he applies for the waiver.

I think most transfers apply for a waiver, it's just that not many receive them so they have to sit for a year. That seems to have changed in the past few years as it seems like more players are eligible immediately, although that might just be a numbers game of more players transferring so more will receive waivers but the percentage may be about the same.

I just saw that Kobe King will transfer to Nebraska. He'll apply for a waiver and might be eligible to play next season.

The NCAA is also considering reducing the criteria for receiving a waiver to make it almost automatic that players will be immediately eligible. Outside of basketball, football, and men's hockey, these criteria are already in effect.

Stupid AF. Even for you and that's saying something. No player with NBA aspirations ever chose a school with the thought in mind that he wouldn't play major minutes, just practice to get better.
To be fair, that’s what Nick Richards, Immanuel Quickley, & to a lesser extent Ashton Hagans (who was a starter as a freshman) did. They practiced against 5* players for a year or 2 and they’re the best players on Kentucky’s team now. PJ Washington was the same way. Did ok as a freshman, developed, and was a 3rd team all-American as a sophomore. Is it so crazy to think that Brooks might do the same?

So, you're telling me any head coach, Archie included, would start Justin Smith over a dynamic 5-star wing? Right on, buddy. You do you.

Per Archie, Smith has been IU’s best defensive player the last two years.
For Crean, this wouldn’t have mattered.
For Archie, it does. Which is why, despite his other shortcomings, Smith starts.

Yep, the sit a year is going away starting this coming year, Brooks can transfer anywhere he wants and not sit out a year. He could play next year at IU without sitting. No restrictions.

Reactions: cybergates
Yep, the sit a year is going away starting this coming year, Brooks can transfer anywhere he wants and not sit out a year. He could play next year at IU without sitting. No restrictions.
He’s not going anywhere but he should since he’s basically being recruited over. I believe 3 guys that they have coming in next year are around his size. Of course we would take him but would he start? I don’t think he would with the way Race is coming along. Justin, Race, and Trayce will be starting next year at the 3 4 and 5 unless Justin transfers. I really doubt he does that though since it looks like they could be a top 10 or even top 5 team next year.

It's possible, it's also possible he wasn't that good to begin with and he wouldn't be starting at IU either. When I've had the chance to watch him he's been far from impressive.
He would definitely start at IU. UK is top ten in the nation with
elite players.IU is ranked nine or ten in conference. Big difference!

He’s not going anywhere but he should since he’s basically being recruited over. I believe 3 guys that they have coming in next year are around his size. Of course we would take him but would he start? I don’t think he would with the way Race is coming along. Justin, Race, and Trayce will be starting next year at the 3 4 and 5 unless Justin transfers. I really doubt he does that though since it looks like they could be a top 10 or even top 5 team next year.
Stop this

Your last sentence nailed it...

He would definitely start at IU. UK is top ten in the nation with
elite players.IU is ranked nine or ten in conference. Big difference!
No, no he wouldn’t. He would have earlier in the season, yes, but Race Thompson is a lot better than him right now. I know you’re biased but he just is. IU is good when the team is healthy and Race Thompson plays 20+ minutes.

No, no he wouldn’t. He would have earlier in the season, yes, but Race Thompson is a lot better than him right now. I know you’re biased but he just is. IU is good when the team is healthy and Race Thompson plays 20+ minutes.
You do understand that Race Thompson is a pure power forward and Keion Brooks is a wing, right? Those are two completely different positions...

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
You do understand that Race Thompson is a pure power forward and Keion Brooks is a wing, right? Those are two completely different positions...
Keion has been playing the 4 a lot this season so I question if you’ve watched him play any this year? He’s been more of an under the basket kind of guy. He rarely takes outside shots and when he does he usually misses. If he wants to play the 3 in the nba then he has a long long ways to go. He’s under sized to play the 4 in the nba and he doesn’t have the face up game to play the 3. I don’t know that his lateral quickness is there to guard the nba 3 either? The nba may not be in his future. He has a lot of getting better to do if that is his goal?

Keion has been playing the 4 a lot this season so I question if you’ve watched him play any this year? He’s been more of an under the basket kind of guy. He rarely takes outside shots and when he does he usually misses. If he wants to play the 3 in the nba then he has a long long ways to go. He’s under sized to play the 4 in the nba and he doesn’t have the face up game to play the 3. I don’t know that his lateral quickness is there to guard the nba 3 either? The nba may not be in his future. He has a lot of getting better to do if that is his goal?
This was the case when he had to guard Romeo in high school. Romeo ate his lunch and sat the 4th quarter. Brooks is a tweener. He really has a problem playing both positions. Not quick enough to be a 2-3 and not physical enough to even be a stretch 4.

Reactions: SouthernIN845
Different positions.

Time to be selfish Daddy will probably shop him to the G-League or Euro-ball in the offseason.

This was the case when he had to guard Romeo in high school. Romeo ate his lunch and sat the 4th quarter. Brooks is a tweener. He really has a problem playing both positions. Not quick enough to be a 2-3 and not physical enough to even be a stretch 4.
I agree with your astute observation

To be fair, that’s what Nick Richards, Immanuel Quickley, & to a lesser extent Ashton Hagans (who was a starter as a freshman) did. They practiced against 5* players for a year or 2 and they’re the best players on Kentucky’s team now. PJ Washington was the same way. Did ok as a freshman, developed, and was a 3rd team all-American as a sophomore. Is it so crazy to think that Brooks might do the same?

That's not crazy at all. I don't know if that's what Daddy had in mind for him though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT