ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to Big 10? (link)

I am only seeing what has been posted, is this all supposed to happen for this year? I can't imagine the rescheduling involved

I am only seeing what has been posted, is this all supposed to happen for this year? I can't imagine the rescheduling involved
I doubt it but seams to me the rest will start scrambling. I heard a podcast this year saying the Big 12 would be absorbed soon. Looks like they were right. It will set up that 12 team playoff. Power 4. Top 4 teams from those conferences.

I don't really see the point of conferences in FB then when you can barely play half of the teams once. I guess its more about TV money ?
Don’t forget the academic side. I know people think it’s small but the B1G tries to have that aligned too. Big money always wins out though and the B1G must be doing something right on that end.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't really see the point of conferences in FB then when you can barely play half of the teams once. I guess its more about TV money ?
The B1G already does 9 game conference seasons. But with 16 teams, conferences would have to so there'd be a chance to play all teams in the conference once during a 4 year career. 7 in your division + 2 cross-division. Or they could do the pod system that was talked about on the board recently.

But yes, ALL about TV money and setting up big conference championships.

that would be a hell of a basketball conference
Maybe for basketball its time to just have the tourney open to everyone like HS used to be and play sectionals and regionals etc. I know travel is a lot different but people are mentioning west coast teams in Big 10 we already have east coast. Even the NBA and MLB do east and west coast swings and they are not at least ostensibly trying to also go to classes. I am not getting the sensibility of it I guess.

I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone as #15, and BT could go to a pod system of 3 pods with 5 members each.

Something like

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU

--MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Would have the advantages to IU of adding another bball power (and weak FB), and getting rid of the E/W divisions.

You would play each team in your pod, plus 2 from each of the other pods each year. Could have some games saved such as OSU/MI. Could put IU in the East with a saved Purdue game, switch MSU to the middle. So that would look this way:

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/IU

--MICH/MSU/ILL/PUR/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Then wait 15 years and see if ND or MIssouri want to change course.

Last edited:
I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone as #15, and BT could go to a pod system of 3 pods with 5 members each.

Something like

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU

--MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Would have the advantages to IU of adding another bball power (and weak FB), and getting rid of the E/W divisions.
Looks like MI came up with that plan to me for football!

Well, we are discussing the conference that believed adding Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers were good ideas, so I’m confident they’ll come up with a final school/cherry on top.
Money talks and the addition of those schools made BTN even more of a cash cow for the conference. Rutgers got the B1G into the biggest TV market in the country, and Maryland gave the conference the large DC market. This translated into a boatload of money from additional subscriber fees and advertising revenues.

If the conference expands again, I think their next target might be the huge Dallas-Ft. Worth market, so TCU could be appealing. The B1G would then have four (NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Ft. Worth) of the five biggest TV markets in the country. It may be moot, though, as there's lots of speculation the remaining teams from the Big 12 will merge with the Pac-12 if, in fact, OK and TX defect.

Reactions: Seyton
Money talks and the addition of those schools made BTN even more of a cash cow for the conference. Rutgers got the B1G into the biggest TV market in the country, and Maryland gave the conference the large DC market. This translated into a boatload of money from additional subscriber fees and advertising revenues.

If the conference expands again, I think their next target might be the huge Dallas-Ft. Worth market, so TCU could be appealing. The B1G would then have four (NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Ft. Worth) of the five biggest TV markets in the country. It may be moot, though, as there's lots of speculation the remaining teams from the Big 12 will merge with the Pac-12 if, in fact, OK and TX defect.
Do people in the Bronx give a **** about college football?

Something like

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU

--MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

How is this pod system supposed to work?

How about we go to a 20 team conference. Play 9 games against your division and then the champ game. Start with a list of teams in each division and every year the bottom two teams move to the top in the other division. Have the rivalry teams paired so they always move together.

Right , there is always an odd team out in a group of 5. What is the point of even having conferences? Just have the one big USA conference at this point
The schools could establish an overarching organization that would supervise rules, protocols for ensuring scholar-athletes are actually students, divvying up lucre, etc.

See my earlier post above

I like it at first glance as we're going to 16 someday anyway, and there's dumber things the BT could do. Also gets IU out of the Eastern Div of the BT.

EDIT---So we'd play the 4 teams in our pod each year + a total of 5 teams from the other two pods each year(not 4) Seems like a lot of flexibility. Then the two teams with the best records play in the btc game.

Looks like MI came up with that plan to me for football!

Well, they need it!!

And they would have OSU as a crossover game each year,

I actually like it with us in the East--balances things out nicely for everyone.

PSU would arguably have the easiest go each year. You could assign NEB, WIS, or MSU as a yearly crossover for them.

I like it at first glance as we're going to 16 someday anyway, and there's dumber things the BT could do. Also gets IU out of the Eastern Div of the BT.

EDIT---So we'd play the 4 teams in our pod each year + a total of 5 teams from the other two pods each year(not 4) Seems like a lot of flexibility. Then the two teams with the best records play in the btc game.
Coach Allen is improving IUFB so much we don't need to get out any more.

Do people in the Bronx give a **** about college football?
Money talks. Adding Rutgers was a great move by the conference. And, with Schiano back at the helm, they'll be a force again in a few years.

You're right. Nobody cares about college football in the Bronx. But they do in Manhattan and New Jersey, where BTN subscribers are plentiful and advertisers can target well-off, college educated consumers, including Rutgers' huge alumni base.

So it's basically just three divisions instead of two.

Well, they need it!!

I actually like it with us in the East--balances things out nicely for everyone.

PSU would arguably have the easiest go each year. You could assign NEB, WIS, or MSU as a yearly crossover for them.

Saved crossover games each year would be:

--OSU/MI

--IU/PUR

--PSU/MSU

--ILL/NW

--WIS/MN

Nebraska, KU, RU, IOWA & MD would not have a saved crossover game

The teams would play each year:

RU: MD; OSU; PSU; IU + 5 others from the other 2 pods

MD: RU; OSU; PSU; IU + 5 others from the other 2 pods

OSU: RU; MD; PSU; IU; MICH + 4 others from the other 2 pods

IU: RU; MD; OSU; PSU; PUR + 4 others...................

PSU: RU; MD; OSU; IU; MSU + 4 others...............

MICH: MSU; ILL; PUR; MN; OSU + 4 others...........

MSU: MICH; ILL; PUR; MN; PSU + 4 others.........

ILL: MICH; MSU; PUR; MN; NW + 4 others...........

PUR: MICH; MSU; ILL, MN; IU + 4 others............

MN: MICH; MSU; ILL; PUR; WIS + 4 others.........

KU: NEB; Iowa; NW; WIS+ 5 others ..............

NEB: KU; IOWA: WIS: ILL + 5 others............

IOWA: KU; NEB; NW; WIS + 5 others........

NW: KU; NEB; IOWA; WIS; ILL +4 others....

WIS: KU; NEB; IOWA; NW; MN + 4 others.......

Looking it over, I'd probably add IOWA/MN as another crossover game....That would only leave MN with 3 other crossovers each year but they'd play MI, WIS & IOWA each year, which are the teams they want to play. They would have 3 games each year of 7 other schools.

Last edited:
Money talks. Adding Rutgers was a great move by the conference. And, with Schiano back at the helm, they'll be a force again in a few years.

You're right. Nobody cares about college football in the Bronx. But they do in Manhattan and New Jersey, where BTN subscribers are plentiful and advertisers can target well-off, college educated consumers, including Rutgers' huge alumni base.
Explain the almost complete absence of big time college football in the northeast for me, then. The most thickly populated section of the country is home to …

PSU
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Rutgers

(Not counting Maryland in that group. Maryland is a border state and the university was a member of the ACC.)

And the knock against the PAC-12 is that there’s waning interest on the West Coast, as well.

We’re fans of a sport whose *real* centers of interest are found in the Midwest, the South, and the Great Plains.

Well, they need it!!

MSU would already be in their ''pod'' every year. IU may be an up and comer and a few good years but no one in that pod instills fear to MI . MSU and OSU have been in championship and PSU should have been. No one in MI pod has even sniffed the rose bowl in decades

So it's basically just three divisions instead of two.

See outlined above.

Look, we know the Big 10 can't match the OU/TX move. They've won the realignment war. You could see this coming 5 years ago.

This is at least some response, adds a damn good bball school, a crap football school that we'll play about every other year, and ends the E/W division imbalance.

It also leaves open the possibility of adding a ND or a Missouri 15 years down the road, or sooner if Missouri gets tired of getting their heads beat in.

It also keeps us from going past 16, or adding Iowa St. or going all the way to the West Coast. I don't want the BT to expand to the West Coast and ruin what's left of college football.

Explain the almost complete absence of big time college football in the northeast for me, then. The most thickly populated section of the country is home to …

PSU
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Rutgers

(Not counting Maryland in that group. Maryland is a border state and the university was a member of the ACC.)

And the knock against the PAC-12 is that there’s waning interest on the West Coast, as well.

We’re fans of a sport whose *real* centers of interest are found in the Midwest, the South, and the Great Plains.
I think demographics and temperature are a factor in today's game and the SEC is in the south

PSU
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
Rutgers

When I think of the NE and football, I think Jets, Giants, Pats & Bills

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT