ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to Big 10? (link)

See outlined above.

Look, we know the Big 10 can't match the OU/TX move. They've won the realignment war. You could see this coming 5 years ago.

This is at least some response, adds a damn good bball school, a crap football school that we'll play about every other year, and ends the E/W division imbalance.

It also leaves open the possibility of adding a ND or a Missouri 15 years down the road, or sooner if Missouri gets tired of getting their heads beat in.

It also keeps us from going past 16, or adding Iowa St. or going all the way to the West Coast. I don't want the BT to expand to the West Coast and ruin what's left of college football.
I get it. I'm also not opposed to it. Just wondered what the "pod" terminology was about. Thought maybe there might be some added wrinkle.

If they had an invite to the B1G, they'd come up with the $70 million in a hurry. The TV money between the leagues is night and day. Without Texas, the B12 is basically a mid-major.
They might have to wait for that money until the rights are done with the current conference.

They might have to wait for that money until the rights are done with the current conference.
Oh, they will. I don't remember how long it was, but Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland all went through a number of years as sort of second-class citizens, not getting a full share of TV profits. Kansas will have to do the same, certainly as long as they are still earning money for the B12, and then some. But it will still be worth it to them in the long run.

I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone as #15, and BT could go to a pod system of 3 pods with 5 members each.

Something like

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU

--MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Would have the advantages to IU of adding another bball power (and weak FB), and getting rid of the E/W divisions.

You would play each team in your pod, plus 2 from each of the other pods each year. Could have some games saved such as OSU/MI. Could put IU in the East with a saved Purdue game, switch MSU to the middle. So that would look this way:

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/IU

--MICH/MSU/ILL/PUR/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Then wait 15 years and see if ND or MIssouri want to change course.
And then we could let the NCAA Selection Committee determine our Championship Game participants and Bowl Choices. LOL

Reactions: Crayfish57
How about at the end of the regular season, the winners of each division are ranked by 1) record, 2) H2H, 3) common opponents, and then #2 hosts #3 in a semi-final, the winner of which travels to Indy to face #1 in the title game. The semi-final game will be broadcast exclusively on BTN, of course.

It would not be within current NCAA rules, of course, but at this point, they're not going to have the juice to stop it.

The larger these Conferences become and get divided into divisions the further away you get from true rivalries and interest. If you play a team once every 4 years and at home once every 7 -8 years, how can the average fan maintain an interest.

One problem with OU and Texas is that despite the fact they are in the Big 12 in name, they are used to dictating to others as the biggest sharks in the pool. The SEC isn't going to allow them to have their own TV Deals without sharing Revenue with the Conference and they won't be allowed to control scheduling. Bottom line is at this point they need the SEC more than the SEc needs them.

I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone as #15, and BT could go to a pod system of 3 pods with 5 members each.

Something like

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU

--MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Would have the advantages to IU of adding another bball power (and weak FB), and getting rid of the E/W divisions.

You would play each team in your pod, plus 2 from each of the other pods each year. Could have some games saved such as OSU/MI. Could put IU in the East with a saved Purdue game, switch MSU to the middle. So that would look this way:

--RU/MD/OSU/PSU/IU

--MICH/MSU/ILL/PUR/MN

--KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

Then wait 15 years and see if ND or MIssouri want to change course.
Mizzou is thrilled to be in the SEC.

Not a chance that Mizzou would leave the SEC.

Reactions: Chriselli
Most of you guys think extremely small-time. Sec adds Texas and Oklahoma and you think our response should be to add Kansas and Colorado…. Lol

Saved crossover games each year would be:

--OSU/MI

--IU/PUR

--PSU/MSU

--ILL/NW

--WIS/MN

Nebraska, KU, RU, IOWA & MD would not have a saved crossover game

The teams would play each year:

RU: MD; OSU; PSU; IU + 5 others from the other 2 pods

MD: RU; OSU; PSU; IU + 5 others from the other 2 pods

OSU: RU; MD; PSU; IU; MICH + 4 others from the other 2 pods

IU: RU; MD; OSU; PSU; PUR + 4 others...................

PSU: RU; MD; OSU; IU; MSU + 4 others...............

MICH: MSU; ILL; PUR; MN; OSU + 4 others...........

MSU: MICH; ILL; PUR; MN; PSU + 4 others.........

ILL: MICH; MSU; PUR; MN; NW + 4 others...........

PUR: MICH; MSU; ILL, MN; IU + 4 others............

MN: MICH; MSU; ILL; PUR; WIS + 4 others.........

KU: NEB; Iowa; NW; RU + 5 others ..............

NEB: KU; IOWA: WIS: ILL + 5 others............

IOWA: KU; NEB; NW; WIS + 5 others........

NW: KU; NEB; IOWA; WIS; ILL +4 others....

WIS: KU; NEB; IOWA; NW; MN + 4 others.......

Looking it over, I'd probably add IOWA/MN as another crossover game....That would only leave MN with 3 other crossovers each year but they'd play MI, WIS & IOWA each year, which are the teams they want to play. They would have 3 games each year of 7 other
Most of you guys think extremely small-time. Sec adds Texas and Oklahoma and you think our response should be to add Kansas and Colorado…. Lol
SEC has hurdles to get those teams. The other teams vote. They only need 4 no votes. They already have 2. What makes anyone think this is a slam dunk?

Reactions: jsenleo
SEC has hurdles to get those teams. The other teams vote. They only need 4 no votes. They already have 2. What makes anyone think this is a slam dunk?
Which schools are voting “no?”

A&M is the most likely, but nearly everyone over at TexAgs has given up hope this is going to be derailed (for what a message board’s opinion is worth).

Also, I highly recommend that forum. Beside itself with rage and vomiting.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

A&M is the most likely, but nearly everyone over at TexAgs has given up hope this is going to be derailed (for what a message board’s opinion is worth).

I heard Florida and Missouri will too. Supposedly it’s far from a done deal. Schools aren’t ready to give up their share of the money.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I'd rather have West Virginia than Kansas. Football is driving this boat...
The Big Ten blew it with its' last expansion moves. Rutgers and Maryland were brought in to get exposure in the big city Eastern Markets. The problem is that those are professional team markets with limited College interest. In this day and age, Rutgers may be lucky to get a reporter from a New York paper to cover their game, and if they do, the story will be buried on page 12.

The Big 10 should have brought in West Virginia, Pitt, Mizzou or Iowa State. West Virginia and Pitt gives you that natural geographic bridge between Columbus and State College. The other 2 could help you with geographic balance to the West, and Mizzou would bring the St. Louis Market into play. While that isn't New York or DC, it is a large city without an NFL or NBA team. In addition you would have natural geographic rivalries with Illinois and Iowa.

The Big Ten blew it with its' last expansion moves. Rutgers and Maryland were brought in to get exposure in the big city Eastern Markets. The problem is that those are professional team markets with limited College interest. In this day and age, Rutgers may be lucky to get a reporter from a New York paper to cover their game, and if they do, the story will be buried on page 12.

The Big 10 should have brought in West Virginia, Pitt, Mizzou or Iowa State. West Virginia and Pitt gives you that natural geographic bridge between Columbus and State College. The other 2 could help you with geographic balance to the West, and Mizzou would bring the St. Louis Market into play. While that isn't New York or DC, it is a large city without an NFL or NBA team. In addition you would have natural geographic rivalries with Illinois and Iowa.
At the time, media money was a big deal. Maryland was a no brainer. Pretty sure Missouri wasn’t an option. Pitt might’ve been. The B1G also had some academic criteria too. Not sure how popular Missouri is in St. Louis. I know lots of Oklahoma fans in those areas. It’s going to get crazy sounds like.

It’s always a good time over there

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
Here's the oft spoke of AAU roster:

As previously noted, Nebraska is nowhere to be found on it... Evidently the Big Ten Presidents bought the argument that Nebraska actually believes the big N in the middle of their football field stands for Knowledge 😂🙄🙈 and "hoped" they could someday, somehow, elevate the Neanderthals...; an educational rapid evolution of sorts 😉..., or, and this is just a wild guess, they ignored their "standards" and went for what appeared at the time to be a Big time revenue generator $$$$$ (in their defense who knew they'd become an overrated joke)...

//How was That for a run-on sentence? My third grade English teacher may make an effort to come back and haunt me after that. 😉//

I think Nebraska has reset the standard to a purely athletic one, or should I say revenue flow $$$$$$$$$$$ one....

Reactions: ESalum86
The Big Ten would be in shambles if that were to happen. It would gut the conference.

Reactions: IUAPEX
SEC is in power grab mode. I’m not sure what sticks. Pretty sure those are long shots.

I hadn't thought so until now, but it looks like we are ultimately headed for a 24 (32?) team mega-conference. Not right now, but sometime in the next 10-20 years.

Don't think so? If $$ and relative financial advantage are the only perimeters, and huge penalty provisions are basically meaningless given the $$ involved, ask yourself why TX, Oklahoma, A&M, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida. LSU, and Tennessee will long put up with sharing their $$ with Vandy, 'Ole Miss, Miss. St., UK, Missouri, South Carolina, and Arkansas.....when they could have USC, Michigan, OSU, PSU, Clemson, Florida St, ND instead?

So that's TX; OK; A&M; Bama; Auburn; Georgia; Florida, LSU, Tenn, OSU, Michigan, PSU, Clemson, FSU, USC, ND That's 16. I think they'll limit it to 24 because you get into diminishing returns and having to share the loot. So the final 8 would come from the group of Arkansas, S. Carolina, UK, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU, N. Carolina, Miami, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Washington, Arizona St., UCLA, OK State. How to choose from these 15 candidates? Maybe have a requirement of a $100M entrance fee for the league....those not willing to pay would be left out.

Out of Luck: Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, IU, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington St., Oregon St., Stanford, Utah, Cal, Virginia, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, UL, GT, Pitt, BC, NC State, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TCU, Tex Tech, Iowa St; W. Virginia, Colorado.

Rules of the club:

1. Basketball matters, but not all that much. Football has to be #1, or you have to at least fill the stadium (see UK v. N. Carolina, IU, Kansas, Duke, Syracuse)
2. Small private schools, other than the ND exemption, need not apply--Vandy, Stanford, Wake, Duke, Baylor, TCU. Also, academics don't matter much.
3. If you can't get 70000 in the stands consistently you're out of luck, unless you're in a big TV market. That probably gets NC in. Miami's probably out under this rule + the small private school rule.
4. Even if can get 70000, you're still in danger if you're not a traditional power and are in a small population state. W. Virginia, OK State, Iowa, UK.. Even Nebraska, a traditional power, might have to hump someone to get in.
5. Regionalism is pretty much out, although the league will be SEC-centric.
6. Being in the club will be more important than actually winning anything--TX, OK, USC, UCLA are going to be the best examples----2 have left their traditional conference although they completely dominated it. USC & UCLA will be next (possibly to the BT??). The same logic will apply to OSU, Michigan & PSU.

Caveat to all this---If the BT breaks up the PAC 12 and ends up taking USC, UCLA, Washington & Oregon the SEC and the BT would be the only two conferences that would count, and the SEC would steal FSU & Clemson and rest. ND would remain independent.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons being a basketball school really sucks eggs. You just do not have much leverage. Look at Duke, they have ZERO leverage if the ACC falls apart. They'll end up in the poor house...

I've been ahead of this curve for decades. I knew being a bball school sucked and it does. 🙃

Reactions: 76-1 and BayernFan
Some of this was being foreshadowed by years. The last clue should’ve been the expansion of the BCS to 8-12 teams. Sets the SEC up to get multiple teams in. I can guarantee you some shady crap was going on behind closed doors. The ncaa loves the SEC.

Reactions: 76-1
I hadn't thought so until now, but it looks like we are ultimately headed for a 24 (32?) team mega-conference. Not right now, but sometime in the next 10-20 years.

Don't think so? If $$ and relative financial advantage are the only perimeters, and huge penalty provisions are basically meaningless given the $$ involved, ask yourself why TX, Oklahoma, A&M, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida. LSU, and Tennessee will long put up with sharing their $$ with Vandy, 'Ole Miss, Miss. St., UK, Missouri, South Carolina, and Arkansas.....when they could have USC, Michigan, OSU, PSU, Clemson, Florida St, ND instead?

So that's TX; OK; A&M; Bama; Auburn; Georgia; Florida, LSU, Tenn, OSU, Michigan, PSU, Clemson, FSU, USC, ND That's 16. I think they'll limit it to 24 because you get into diminishing returns and having to share the loot. So the final 8 would come from the group of Arkansas, S. Carolina, UK, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU, N. Carolina, Miami, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Washington, Arizona St., UCLA, OK State. How to choose from these 15 candidates? Maybe have a requirement of a $100M entrance fee for the league....those not willing to pay would be left out.

Out of Luck: Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, IU, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington St., Oregon St., Stanford, Utah, Cal, Virginia, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, UL, GT, Pitt, BC, NC State, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TCU, Tex Tech, Iowa St; W. Virginia, Colorado.

Rules of the club:

1. Basketball matters, but not all that much. Football has to be #1, or you have to at least fill the stadium (see UK v. N. Carolina, IU, Kansas, Duke, Syracuse)
2. Small private schools, other than the ND exemption, need not apply--Vandy, Stanford, Wake, Duke, Baylor, TCU. Also, academics don't matter much.
3. If you can't get 70000 in the stands consistently you're out of luck, unless you're in a big TV market. That probably gets NC in. Miami's probably out under this rule + the small private school rule.
4. Even if can get 70000, you're still in danger if you're not a traditional power and are in a small population state. W. Virginia, OK State, Iowa, UK.. Even Nebraska, a traditional power, might have to hump someone to get in.
5. Regionalism is pretty much out, although the league will be SEC-centric.
6. Being in the club will be more important than actually winning anything--TX, OK, USC, UCLA are going to be the best examples----2 have left their traditional conference although they completely dominated it. USC & UCLA will be next (possibly to the BT??). The same logic will apply to OSU, Michigan & PSU.

Caveat to all this---If the BT breaks up the PAC 12 and ends up taking USC, UCLA, Washington & Oregon the SEC and the BT would be the only two conferences that would count, and the SEC would steal FSU & Clemson and rest. ND would remain independent.
Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

The number of schools in the “Out of Luck” group that are either strongly basketball-centered or lean toward basketball is striking, as is the drop off in prominence between the premier 16/24 and the crowd in which IU would find itself. Also notable is how few schools west of the Texas/Mississippi River line are to be found.

I don’t know what I would put past the SEC at this point …

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT